Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 12:20 AM

Default Is valve float safe for predator 212cc

Hi everyone I have a Coleman ct200u with a predator 212 non hemi engine with a header pipe and go Powersports intake/jet and Iím wanting to build the engine in the future but for now Iím wanting to remove the governor but is it safe to float the valves is this engine a interference engine? Will I bend a valve? Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

[img]4142280e-f68b-45c7-bf59-5f81e063...[/img]
Old 11-24-2019, 07:09 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Should be Ok as long as you're not going too crazy with the redline. Lot's of people have simply pulled the governor, and I've never heard of a problem with piston to valve interference. It is possible to drop a valve into the combustion chamber, though.
In short: there are NO guarantees, because the fact that they are equipped with a governor means they were not originally intended to spin at these speeds.

I say, if you're already going to be in the crankcase, just build it at the same time you remove the governor and be done with it!
Old 11-26-2019, 12:31 AM

I removed the governor and oil sensor today and it was a lot easier than some people make it look I havenít tested it yet because the throttle cable snapped on the bike but it runs good still and I will be sure not to hold it at valve float that long at all. I raced a kid on a mini bike a few days ago and he was holding his engine at valve float the whole length of the street and it sounded bad Iím surprised he hasnít had issues. But thank you for your thoughts I will be building the engine soon and maybe even get a CVT
The Following User Says Thank You to ethanscornbread For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 05:52 AM
Road Hazard

That's something I ought to test one day. I'd love to know if these are interference engines. But I've been running my baja warrior without the governor for about a year and a half now. Haven't ran into any problems other than speed (ungoverned engine + 30 series + stock 50t tire sprocket with 19" tires = 55+ mph = crazy) And I feel more comfortable running predator non hemis un governed, than any other clone engine. Most clones and the hemis have slip on retainers, which are easier to work on, but can slip off occasionally. But the non hemis have automotive retainers. These non hemis pretty much have a ss valve kit factory. One thing that may turn into a pain later is that these engines have 5mm valve stems, not the 5.5mm that hemis and other clones use.