Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 AM

Default Is this a suitable motor?

Hi, I'm building an electric go-kart based off of the Azusa go-kart. I was wondering if this motor combined with 2 5800mah 29.6v li-po batteries would be a good choice or will it not work at all?

Motor: http://www.helipal.com/leopard-lbp56...ess-motor.html
Old 02-19-2014, 01:10 AM

Welcome,
Probably not a good choice
That motor would be doing about 33'000 rpm at 30v ! also you are going to need a massive brushless esc for this (big bucks) and you will not get much run time with those Lipo. I had a Leopard motor in a custom 1/5 rc buggy, size 4065, 1400kv on 6s lipo and the torque would destroy the drivetrain (it weighed about 8 kilos) suggest you look into DC or Brushless motors from electric bikes, scooters etc.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2386.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim-L-L For This Useful Post:
crzykiller (02-19-2014)
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 AM

Well I'm thinking of Getting the Turnigy Trackstar 1/5th scale ESC which should be able to handle it. I'm just wondering if it would actually work or would it not have enough torque to pull me (140lbs) and the kart. Run time won't matter much as i can just buy a bunch of these batteries and run them in parallel. I already have the motor and i don't think i can return it so i can't exactly buy another motor lol. The gear ratio is 7.2:1 or 1:7.2 (idk which way it is). The sprocket has 72 teeth and the pinion has 10. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:46 AM

1000 kva x 30V = 33'000 Rpm !
With that gearing and say a 12" wheel your predicted speed will be 164 mph !

you are going to need to massively gear it down to get a more realistic speed of around 30 mph which would be still pretty fast for AZUSA type frame, all that gearing is going to suck a lot of power and be a nightmare to build, But for the price of that Turnigy esc alone you could buy a 6.5 hp petrol engine and be done with it ! but hey it's your project
Closed Thread