Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > More Builds

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 04:10 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Default Top Secret Blower

Ok so my dad recently put a limit on my projects, that I need to clear out 2 before I can get another one.
Buuut, this one was too good. The same guy that sold me the 1977 Sears tiller had this today, so I came home with this Echo blower for $3!!!
It turns over, and miraculously, the gas tank was dry and clean!
SSSHHH!!! This is TOP SECRET! I can't tell my parents about this one or they'll make me get rid of it!
Now you're probably thinking: "JT, it's a frickin' blower, why are you so excited?"
Well there's a few reasons:
  1. Echo engines are ridiculously reliable
  2. This one is actually in great condition
  3. And I think I'm going to stick it on a scooter to get around town on since motorized scooters under 40cc are legal here(this is 21.2cc)

Incredibly it has great spark! When I shined a light into the cylinder, I saw some scoring, but it has great compression, and it'll burn oil anyway.

The primer purge bulb was completely busted, so I have one coming within a week. Otherwise the fuel lines are clear and the carburetor's clean, so I think I'll be able to start it up once the purge bulb arrives!
Made in Japan! That's a huge plus compared to the modern Echos which are made by Yamabiko Corp. in China, instead of this one which was built in Japan by Kioritz Corp.
Attached Thumbnails
20191126_155832.jpg   20191126_155844.jpg  

20191126_133911.jpg  
Old 11-26-2019, 06:53 PM

Usually there is a caveat when it comes to scooters/mopeds so I would look it all up before you get disappointed by it. We have similar stuff put here, like a Mini bike cannot be more than 49cc. Curious to see what you come up with.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:45 PM

Ha this is funny, my father just pulled out his old 40cc blower and asked if I would get it going for him. Yet I forget the brand, all I know is that it’s green, hopefully I can get it running for him
Old 11-26-2019, 09:17 PM

Ha ha so me back in the 70’s. I had secret motorcycles. Think big. Sky is the limit. I now play with military jets. Don’t let the illness let up. Follow it. Your parents will get over it. I never let up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet Provost For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (11-27-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Broke

I once brought a snowblower home without telling anyone I was getting it. That was interesting.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.
Yup, unless someone actually finds it or sees me working on it and goes "heeey....." I'm not going to tell anyone in my family.
Now if they ASK about it, sure, I'll spill the beans, but otherwise, this thing was just a steal. I love Echos! And it was $3!
If that blower is green it may be a Hitachi brand blower, we have one, and it's really nice. Walbro carb.
Oh yeah, this Echo has a Zama carburetor, and I found out that a new carb, PLUS a full tune up kit is like $15! It might be fun to try to port out this engine and make a big bore carburetor!

This is what Texas law says about motor scooters:

(1) “Motor-assisted scooter”:

(A) means a self-propelled device with:

(i) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation;

(ii) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions;

(iii) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters;

(iv) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device;  and

(v) the ability to be propelled by human power alone;  and

(B) does not include a pocket bike or a minimotorbike."

Sounds doable. I could just stick a minibike rear axle setup on there, and that'd take care of the brakes and chain, plus I'd know where to get tires. And I can put a seat on it legally, so that'll be more comfortable.

I'm REALLY glad this neighbor goes around hunting for these kind of things on trash day! Every time I walk by, I'm like: "Does he have something new today?!"
I don't have to do the hunting, he finds good stuff, and DANG! He gives me great prices! Plus he's really nice and very polite. That's what good neighbors are all about! Well that, and a few other things but it's still true!

-Self merged -

Sweet! Looks like this is a loop scavenged engine!
No reed valves, though.
By the way, what are some basic performance mods for a 2 stroke? I've been reading, and obviously a high flow air filter and expansion pipe would be great, but what else is there? Porting and polishing? I've heard a bit about "stuffing the crankcase", that would push more fuel into the cylinder, right?
I don't know much about 2 strokes yet, so go easy on me, this is a bit of a learning experience.
Old 11-29-2019, 02:57 PM
Here 8am-? Mon-Fri

I'd love to live somewhere where people throw away good stuff, but around me the only things sitting on curbs are rotted out wheel barrows and whatever the guy up the street is getting rid of. Now that guy throws away some weird stuff. Anything from small wooden jewelry boxes to refrigerators that are half disassembled and bicycles that look new.

As for 2 stroke mods a free flowing filter and an exhaust upgrade are good, but the one thing that is true for any engine is that there is truly no replacement for displacement (ever see a top fuel car with a 4 banger honda?). Personally I'd look for a 35cc chainsaw, those are easier to adapt to a scooter. And if you weren't across the gulf, I'd sell you my schwinn scooter. The motor is good, but there are no batteries, wiring harness or charger.
JTSpeedDemon (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 10:54 PM

The one thing that might help a bit to is a custom expansion chamber tuner pipe.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:54 AM

Then I might have a noise issue. If I got/made an expansion pipe and put a muffler on the end, would that still help power wise? Or is there a way to integrate a kind of muffler into the pipe?
Old 11-30-2019, 09:11 AM

I’m pretty sure that’s how dirt bikes are, expansion with a muffler on the end
Old 11-30-2019, 09:47 AM

You can really easily convert a push scooter to engine drive using a friction wheel setup.

Say you want a 20mph top speed (which is more than enough for a stand up scooter). If the engine spins 7k rpm, you need a 1" diameter drive drum. Mount the engine on a spring loaded mechanism with a foot plate so the drum is above the back wheel.

You push off like a normal scooter, and then put your push foot on the plate, pressing the drum against the wheel. Add throttle and go. It's super simple, cheap, and light weight. No need to calculate gear ratios as the surface speed of your drum is the top speed.

The Mongoose expo is a good starting point if you can find a cheap used one. Pneumatic tires, front and rear brakes.
JTSpeedDemon (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestion! Looking at it, it does look like a great basis. Didn't think of friction drive......
I found one on the local CL for $35, need to clear out some projects ASAP!
Old 11-30-2019, 12:00 PM

I'm sure you can find room, I mean you found a spot for the engine. I dont know, ditch it at a friend's house or in the woods somewhere covered up and chained locked to a tree?
Old 11-30-2019, 02:19 PM

Weeeell, the house next door is unoccupied and the yard overgrown......
I'll wait until I actually get the engine running anyways, I don't think scooters move terribly fast on CL.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Either way, the big problem is that both Mongoose Expo scooters on the local CL are quite a ways away from my house, so yaah, I'd have to get a ride from someone in my family, and we all know where that would go.
I might end up getting a brand new one to hack up!
Old 11-30-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
Weeeell, the house next door is unoccupied and the yard overgrown......
I'll wait until I actually get the engine running anyways, I don't think scooters move terribly fast on CL.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Either way, the big problem is that both Mongoose Expo scooters on the local CL are quite a ways away from my house, so yaah, I'd have to get a ride from someone in my family, and we all know where that would go.
I might end up getting a brand new one to hack up!
Doesn't have to be one of those specifically. There are a lot of similar type scooters out there. I was more or less just pointing out that particular design vs the razor-type scooters with the small hard wheels and drag brakes.
JTSpeedDemon (11-30-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:35 AM

Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,840 Posts

Here is a friction weed whacker build I did a while ago. It went through several iterations of rollers

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14738
Old 12-02-2019, 07:32 PM

Purge bulb came in today. Got it installed in the lower carburetor assembly, but it's ~7:30 right now, so I'll put it all together tomorrow and fire it up! Can't hardly wait!
Fun fact: I am typing this post by muscle memory. I can't see the keyboard keys at all!
Old 12-03-2019, 01:35 PM

Welp, installed the primer bulb, and it still won't start. There's no fuel getting to the primer bulb. Then when I was fiddling with it, one of the ancient fuel lines snapped. Found the problem! I had suspected the fuel lines were clogged, and I could visually see cracks. So I need to get a new fuel line assembly.
Interestingly, the two screws that hold the air filter housing on also hold the carburetor on! Very different from the large utility 4 strokes I'm used to!