Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 PM

Default 2006 CBR 1000 Off Road Kart built

Hey yall. I'm on here to ask some questions to those who have had some experience building solid Karts from Motorcycle Engines. I have a complete 06 CBR 1000 that was wrecked and totalled by my buddy and I bought the bike for $300 (more than scrap value). The motor is flawless, it was the steering, subframe and swingarm that took the damage.
The goal is to build the kart with the ability to shift through the transmission fully. So I need advice on rigging a good gear shift system without having to Fabricate to many parts. The other issuse is mounting and brakes.
Ill post up in some other threads. Just introducing my plan to yall.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM

Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,018 Posts

You could chop off the motor mount/tubing itself on the bike if its in decent shape?

Shifter, just an example:

What did you have in mind for the frame?

As far as brakes go, have you thought about ripping the existing ones off of the bike?

Last edited by landuse; 04-24-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 AM

I have thought about a lot of brake options just don't know what's best.
1. Use the bikes brakes. Pros: Readily available and in good condition. Con: Extending brake lines to reach front wheels. I don't have a welder so they will be tricky to mount.
2. Use a junk cars brake system. Rotors and Tire.
Pros pretty easy to obtain. Cons difficult to mount without an axle.and a lot of extra weight added to the Kart.
3. Cable system
I have no idea how to set it up.

I want to use a full roll cage frame cause I will just be using this part to go down the side of the highway to get to the dunes.

I couldn't see your video on my phone but I considered a short throw system hooked up to the original shift lever.
The next concern is clutch. Thought of trying to do a paddle clutch but don't have any clue how to rig that up.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM

This is a thread that i found about a guy who rebuilt a gsxr 1000 kart a while back, looks the business and goes like stink. You should be able to get a few tips and tricks out of it.

http://passionford.com/forum/restora...le-3750-a.html

For brakes i would use the bikes brakes on the rear and invest in some more for the front wheels on a kart this powerful, would be the cheapest/easiest option, better safe than sorry. Just my two cents.
Closed Thread