Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 12-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Road Hazard

Default Tecumseh 11 horse

I've been seeing this engine on CL for the past few weeks, And I'm thinking it wouldn't he that bad of an engine to work on for the streaker. But, I know almost nothing about 11hp tecumsehs. So is there anything I should know about it? I mean, besides the carburetor.
Here are the pics from the ad:

According to the fan shroud it has a low oil sensor. It also looks like it may have electric start, or had the option.The guy's asking $120 for it, is that a good price? I'm king of thinking $80. Also, it's about 2 1/2, 3 hours away. And all the ad says is, "For Sale - 11hp Side Shaft Tecumseh Engine. Great Go Cart Engine."

I may just give my cheapness the day off and buy a predator 301, and gx240/270 e start kit.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:56 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Biggest deal breaker is the PTO. Ask him to send you pics and measurements of the crankshaft. Otherwise, straight pipe it, rip out that governor, put a slide carb on it, and RIP!!!
Old 12-15-2019, 12:43 PM

Interesting motors,

Its like the engineers looked at the prior hm70-100 flathead engines, and said we are falling behind, lets smack a cylinder head on this to keep up with competition. Hence why it is so tall.

A lot of the casting is similar, and some parts are interchangeable with the older flatheads, like sidecover, crank, cam, flywheels, coils, ect (potato pic comparison below, left is flathead)

Other than being an afterthought, I have nothing bad to say about these motors, still plenty in service today, usually the snow king variant.
Attached Thumbnails
20191215_182817.jpg   20191215_183019.jpg  

Old 12-15-2019, 03:17 PM
Road Hazard

So I did some looking (always a pita) and I found something. Apparently there is a crankshaft for this engine that, according to a line drawing I found, is 1" diameter, and tapped for a 3/8-24 bolt, but the shaft is 2 1/4" long (pn 37252). But, the prices range from $97 to $120. And a lot of these came with tapered shafts. And I'd be willing to bet the carb at least needs a clean. So even if I talked him down to $80, I'd still be looking at a price tag of $180. Plus, I'd probably want to throw in a gasket set ($30), and new rings ($40). And a new Predator 301 (8hp) is $235. And there are aftermarket performance parts for the 301 (cams, rods, flywheels etc). And I already have one tecumseh that's giving me a fit. So I don't know. Plus it'd take 2 1/2 hours to get there, and possibly more to get back (I'm either going to hit the lunch rush, or the 5 o'clock rush). And my tahoe does not like the expressway.