Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 08:06 PM

Default First time kart goer

So I have purchased a rolling kart frame and I'm attempting to fit it with a engine https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ne/A-p8831380e The output shaft is 7/8" stepped to 1" however I cannot find a 7/8" clutch. Naturally I will be going with the 1" clutch 35# (I already had a couple axle gears in a 35#). Basically what I'm looking for is help on is picking the right clutch. I was thinking 12 tooth drive and 60 driven, with a gear ratio of 5.00 I understand 6.00 is the general target however a 72 tooth gear simply will not fit.

http://imgur.com/a/C4C4vrk The gokart with the motor set on the frame for fitting.
Thank you for any help in advance!

[EDIT -itsid-]
added image locally for convenience
Click image for larger version

Name:	tQYeYLW.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	115109
Old 01-15-2020, 08:57 PM

It looks like it's a race kart. You should be able to get away with a 12 to 60 5:1 ratio and be just fine. If you really needed a 7/8" clutch, Max-Torque might be able to hook you up with one, you'd have to call them or shoot them an email.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:03 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Wait, how is a 1" clutch going to work on a 7/8" shaft? Am I missing something?

And that's a race kart frame, with those small diameter tires 5/1 should be perfectly fine.

EDIT - Kartorbust, ya beat me to it!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:12 PM

Thanked 4,462 Times in 3,362 Posts

Hi, yeah..
5:1 might work well enough.

I think there are 7/8" to 1" shaft adapters (essentially a sleeve that goes over the shaft)

be aware that there's ONLY one step down clutch for 1" bore with just 12T on #35 cahin
(and it costs ~100 bucks) that I know of (Comet SCS 400)
any other #35 chaine 1" bore clutch as more like 16-17 Teeth instead

You might rather install a Torque converter then. (with #35 12T)

Kart looks like it has an odd diameter axle to me (appears to be a 35mm or so...)
do you have the sprocket hub for that axle?
and if so you confirmed the bolt hole pattern of the sprockets fit the hub already?

'sid

PS you should add the third bearing btw...
it massively helps keeping the sprocket and chain aligned.
if that axle flexes too much (which on dry road with just two bearings is a possibility)
you might be throwing chains more often than anticipated...
and getting whipped by a fast moving chain isn't too pleasant in case the masterlink snaps open in the process.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:39 AM

Thanked 1,164 Times in 963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEggoz View Post
So I have purchased a rolling kart frame and I'm attempting to fit it with a engine https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ne/A-p8831380e
That stepped output shaft may not be the only problem with your engine.

Does your engine have a throttle lever?

The reviews for your engine state this is a fixed-RPM model made for special applications like generators and snowblowers. Those reviews tell us your engine has no throttle lever and is made to run full-speed at 3500 RPM continuously.

So besides dealing with your clutch issues, you'll also be needing to bypass the Governor and connect your throttle cable directly to the carburetor. Correctly bypassing the governor includes disassembling the engine to remove the plastic governor gear...

It's all doable, but things would be much simpler if you returned your engine and exchanged it for another model with a normal 3/4" keyed output shaft and a throttle lever.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:07 PM

Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,482 Posts

Im a little late to the game on this on... Those motors are kinda crap.. they sold really cheap for a replacement for some machine...But theyre an odd ball...All most like a briggs copy of a clone..

If you can get a replacement/return and get a regular 208.. itll be much more worth while in the long run...
I had a princess 208cc... pretty good motors for what it is.. and they have pretty good pickup stock...
If your going to spend time/money to get the clutch to fit for this(1" shaft clutch).. You might aswell get the other motor and save on the clutch..

Also you wont find a 12t 1" clutch for a cheap price, as thats a reduced bore clutch and its really expensive to get here in Canada...
Old 01-16-2020, 06:10 PM

I've heard maxtorque is willing to do custom clutches but I'd rather use the 1" portion or space the 7/8" out.

I believe the frame is branded with CRG on one of the cross rails if that means anything...I've got no idea.

I think the axle is a 40mm and I do have the sprocket with it but in the picture I had the axle tore apart. I've had a couple of the sprockets on already...only the 70 tooth hits the rear cross rail...I didn't know that about the third bearing I will have to look into sourcing one as I don't really wanna have anything like that happen.

Without any modification I have very little throttle control however one of the guys at my work uses this exact engine and he's shown me how to mod the engine to have throttle control. I also understand he has had this motor for several years and beats the crap out of them with little or no issues.

as well I was kinda curios...from what I'd seen and read most centrifugal force clutches kick in around 2-2,500rpm while most gokarts engines have a redline of 3,600rpm is this for a specific reason?

P.S yeah it is a race frame...one of the cross rails has C.R.G f1-k CIK-FIA 66/CH/08 SERIE 0100 stamped onto a plate not sure if that means anything or what.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 PM

What clutch did buddy get??... And yes they make custom clutches... But like I said.. the time money for that.. You can get a known decent engine plus a top line adjustable disc clutch and probably more...

Most engines are governed to 3600rpm... thats probably a liability issue.. but most gokart engines start as an industrial engine.. therefore 3600...
Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 PM

Thanked 4,462 Times in 3,362 Posts

CRG: very well made italian race karts!

40mm axle: medium stiffness setup for lightweight setups or heavy setups on wet track.

third bearing: easy to source righettiridolfi.com makes cassettes and sells matching bearings..
the cassete you have appears to be a RighettiRidolfi K254N
https://righettiridolfi.com/cms-cont...3659-k254x.pdf
matching bearing is 1240-40 ZZ (RR # K244B) or SB208-40 ZZ (RR# K244)

'sid
Old 01-16-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
What clutch did buddy get?.
I actually haven't ordered one yet but I was thinking max torque, changing to a yellow spring, and changing the sprocket...unfortunately because I am in Canada I don't have the best selection without paying duties. However kart works Canada does carry max torque just not with all the specs I'd like.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 PM

I hear ya... I am too..
There is those guys.. but they as one of the few here for us... Like to up charge a bit..