Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 07:29 AM

Default Welding on axle

Hello everyone I am new to go kart building and I have a question for you guys. Any help would be appreciated. So in attempt to save money I was hoping to buy a 1Ē bar for the axle and weld the sprocket on there. However I have read from you experienced folk how that would be a bad idea when I would need to do maintenance. So I thought then I would just weld a hub to the axle and the just bolt the sprocket on and off whenever I need to. Would this work? Or am I over looking something. The go kart will have a 6.5hp predator 212 on it.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:11 AM

Well, welding everything to the axle does make it pretty much impossible to swap out sprockets and brakes ect, however I built my own axle for my home made kart, and a few things are welded on it, but I tried to only weld the keys in place, clamp tight around them. I did the keys so in a worst case situation I'm hoping grinding the keys off will allow everything to come apart if needed. On another kart, the p.o. had cut the axle in half, I tapered both ends of the cut, spliced the axle together and ran a total of 5 weld beads all the way around the cut, theory says cutting, heating or beating will weaken the metal, but I have yet to have any issue out of it. Worst case, do your welding, but leave the axle so that the entire axle can be removed with everything still installed, and plan on buying a back-up for when things do wear out. That's at least what I'd do in your situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smerft85 For This Useful Post:
Bmr4Karts (01-17-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will Try to figure out a way I can do it without welding it directly to axle.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:59 AM

Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,482 Posts

NO...
Weld if you need to, but the sprocket onto the hub.. The hub will slide onto the axle and be keyed in place...You should be using key axle shaft for this... as this is known straight and has a true keyway cut into it.
Bmr4Karts (01-17-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 10:28 AM

You can (and there are many companies that do) weld sprockets to the axle. Makes adjustments impossible, and you run the risk of warping your axle.

A piece of bar will be a disappointment. Even cold rolled bars are not precision diameter and will likely be too large to fit into a bearing or will be sloppy.

Never weld a hub (or anything else outboard of the bearings) to an axle, or you'll never be able to take it apart.
mckutzy (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 02:11 PM

Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,482 Posts

Fare enough.. but they've done it in a manner to control the warp.. with a tig... or usually machined after the welding, to make it run true...
Old 01-14-2020, 02:25 PM

Ok, can and should are two different scenarios. Ideally an actual keyed, and threaded axle will be your best best. I agree everything is true on an actual axle, however I used cold rolled steel rod, it fit the bearings fine, and I cut my own keyway, hence why I welded the keys down inside the keyway, I can grind the keys off if needed and remove everything. Reason I'm guessing you ask is because the cold rolled steel rod is like $15 shipped vs. $75+ for the actual axle, and that's exactly why I went DIY.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:02 PM

I am honestly going back and forth now idk what I will do. I didnít think about the bearings not fitting properly. I just wanted to save some money on the first go cart I build just because I feel like there are gonna be a lot of mistakes and taking the cheaper route will help me learn without breaking the bank. Maybe I can buy the bearings then go down to my local metal factory and see if the would fit.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:50 PM

Order a plain steel axle from BMI. They're like 35 bucks or some such ridiculously cheap price. They're straight, strong, keyed and threaded. Ready to run.
Functional Artist (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 06:56 PM

You don't mention what length axle that you need
...but, check out BMI karts.

You can get a 1" x 32" axle ($25.00)
...or a 1" x 36" axle ($27.00)
...add lock nuts ($7.00) extra
https://www.bmikarts.com/1-Steel-Live-Axle_p_517.html

Also, Surplus Center has some nice HD (1) piece sprockets (~$30.00)
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-...q=ATR_Teeth:60

Torsk, Damien & the Atom kart, all have this axle/sprocket set-up
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_0853.jpg   SAM_1100.jpg  

SAM_1037.jpg  
Old 01-14-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasr View Post
I am honestly going back and forth now idk what I will do. I didnít think about the bearings not fitting properly. I just wanted to save some money on the first go cart I build just because I feel like there are gonna be a lot of mistakes and taking the cheaper route will help me learn without breaking the bank. Maybe I can buy the bearings then go down to my local metal factory and see if the would fit.
Just a question to ask yourself, and only answer publicly if you choose, but do you trust your welding skills enough to potentially risk injury or death? I had to consider that myself and I'll be honest, building an axle from scratch is difficult to say the least. I saved a few bucks going DIY, but with the labor involved I'd almost say even a full axle kit with sprocket and wheels would be cheaper in the long run, I welded 3" of all-thread to the ends of the steel I purchased, then had to smooth them to fit the hub over, but still rely on its strength, I had at least 10 hours into getting my axle to work out right.

By the end of the axle I could at least take pride in knowing I "made" it, but as proud as it made me, a regular axle would have been faster, easier, and possibly cheaper. Unless you want the self pride really bad, I'd just buy one, I wasn't aware there was an axle for $10 more than I paid for my steel rod. I hope that helps straighten out a few things for you.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:03 AM

I also was unaware of how cheap I can get them. I have been looking in the wrong place. That question about confidence in my welding really sealed the deal for me. I have a son who will be possible riding this thing and if anything were to happen because I was cheap.... well I do t need to go into that. Anyways I really appreciate all the help you guys are awesome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nasr For This Useful Post:
landuse (01-16-2020), Smerft85 (01-15-2020)