Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 02:36 AM

Default Slow but strong - Need advice

Hello all, new here.

Not really building your prototypical go kart, but figured this might be a good place to find some info and share my project as it progresses!!!

So I want to build a go kart type thing. It will be made to drive on ice to spread water on it. I will not need to drive very fast but I will be carrying a 55 gallon drum of water so it will need some power to get it going.

I' a go kart virgin and am looking to gather some info on what kind of design would be best for this project. I'm curious if anyone on here has built something similar?

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

I guess I should mention that I also want a axle to run a brush under the kart that will rotate at a much higher rpm than the drive axle. And they need to rotate in the opposite direction. I am sure this can be done with a series of chains and sprockets but my knowledge is limited in this area. Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-06-2020, 10:59 AM

Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,482 Posts

Is this for a backyard skating/hockey or curling rink??

The brushes should be operated by an electric motor setup. Trying to setup linkages with chains and such can be done... but itll take alot of ingenuity to get this right...

With this being said... where you located... and whats the budget??
I reckon this wont be that cheap..
Stanky (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Is this for a backyard skating/hockey or curling rink??

The brushes should be operated by an electric motor setup. Trying to setup linkages with chains and such can be done... but itll take alot of ingenuity to get this right...

With this being said... where you located... and whats the budget??
I reckon this wont be that cheap..
haha, a fellow Canadian??? I'm in Alberta.

Yeah its for flooding a creek behind my house for skating/hockey.

Over Christmas I built a "zamboni" on a pallet to flood the ice. It works great, its a little on the heavy side when its full. I'd like to mount it all on the back of a go kart to make it easier to use.

This is the pallet zamboni.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gMGL1trgARhAZFZt9

There are 2 hot water heating elements in the 55G tank that heat the water up before I flood. The hottest I've got it is 160F, which is as hot or hotter than the water NHL arena's use for their Ice. It took about 5 or 6 hours to get it that hot but the barrel isn't insulated very well yet. We were just using moving blankets wrapped around it to try and keep the heat in. I imagine once i properly insulate it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/k1FJG99H5TCGvMZE7

This is a shot from the side. I added 1" PVC off the back of the barrel with a ball valve. The PVC drops down into the pallet and runs to the back through the yellow plastic on the back. It separates in a T and runs along the yellow plastic. holes in the PVC spray the water on the plastic and then it falls onto the ice. The the cloth rag absorbs the water and evenly distributes it over the ice. Leaving a pristine surface.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/m9XPm4RBNvQ7cUx99
https://photos.app.goo.gl/x4aD9CcXcZtAeeKH6

I haven't really set a budget. The cheaper the better I guess, Or I can set up some off shore accounts to hide the cost from my wife!!!

Having the brush assembly on its own electric motor would be nice as it would keep a consistent speed instead of it speeding up and slowing down as the kart speed varies. That being said one of the keys to getting good ice is driving a consistent speed and laying an even amount of water. So there shouldn't be too much variance if its tied into the rear axle. My initial vision of hoe the brush assembly would work with the rear axle would be to have 2 "arms" coming off of the rear axle to the axle for the brushes. The brushes could essentially spin 360 around the rear axle and the 2 axles would stay the same distance apart. My thought here is this would make it easier to run a chain from the rear axle to the brush axle. This would also allow me to engage and disengage the brush to the ice as I wouldn't want the brush to be down on the ground at all times.

The brush assembly isn't necessary. If its too much I can go without it.

Anyways my biggest hurdle is probably figuring out how to drive the rear axle. The speed that I a m going in the video above is pretty much as fast as I'll need to go. With a full tank I'm probably looking at moving over 500lbs on ice.

any insights, or suggestions are appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:23 AM

Some dude in like 2004 but a 10hp Yanmar diesel engine and a CVT in a Geo Metro. 10hp got that 2200lbs of metal to 55mph.

Going to just straight up tell you this...the brushes idea has a VERY LOW probability of working. There are some people out there who can do such a feat....but it's just not worth it.

If you want to go brushed DC, look into the ES15 by D&D power systems. It's probably the most affordable option you will find.
Stanky (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 09:44 PM

Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,358 Posts

with chains the brush shaft would turn the same direction as the driving axle.
instead I'd suggest pinch rollers!
drive small rubber wheels with the rubber on the drive wheels..
and you end up with a counter rotating shaft.

Driving he axle isn't too tricky I'd say...
you can salvage everything you need from an old ride on mower (lawn tractor)
motor, gear box (to preset different speeds where needed)
and maybe even make use of the mower deck (as an upside down sprinkler system)
if that's too quick for your liking and task at hand (didn't check the video tbh)
maybe a tracked snowthrower (you'll certainly find used ones in canada, right )
will give you a good starting point for the motorization

'sid
Stanky (01-08-2020)