Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 02:31 PM

Default New Trailmaster MB200

Hey all,

First post. I've been considering picking up a new Trailmaster MB200 and just wanted to get your thoughts/experience/feedback/suggestions.

1. After watching Red Beard's Garage on YouTube, I'm considering purchasing from gps.com. Any thoughts on them? Know anywhere cheaper?

2. Gps.com has a whole page on upgrades. I'm 6'3" 250lb, so I'm planning to go with the 60tooth sprocket, heavy duty shocks, and extra chain. Anyone have opinions on sprockets and/or medium vs heavy shock upgrades?

3. I'm also debating the stage 1 upgrade kit with header, muffler, jet, and filter. https://www.gopowersports.com/stage-...rformance-kit/ but I see there are some more bend options here: https://www.gopowersports.com/stage-...212cc-engines/ . I'm assuming GPS-0020 would be best, but would like to hear if anyone has opinions?

Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxn View Post
I'm assuming GPS-0020 would be best
D'OH. I just realized that wouldn't work with the rear fender.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Road Hazard

yeah, the Ct200/mb200 one (the first one) you linked would work with the fender. I have a baja warrior (it's similar to the trailmasters, just without rear suspension. I've been working on. Pulled the governor and added a 30 series the summer before last. I just got a new 72 tooth sprocket for it, and I'll be reinstalling the 10t on the jackshaft (it has the original 50t on the tire and a 9t on the TC. It goes 58mph with the 50t, but that's only on road. The stock engine is just too weak to go over 45 off road with the stock wheel sprocket.

I'm also thinking about a set of these, And I'd suggest you get them if you're going to pull the governor:
https://www.gopowersports.com/retain...8lb-22lb-26lb/
They'll help it not drop a valve, like the stock slip on retainers can.
And those retainers take these:
https://www.gopowersports.com/hp-lash-caps/
Old 12-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Thx JS.

I'm not planning to mess with governor or internals just yet. Just want to get familiarized with the bike first. I'm even tempted to wait on installing the upgrades I listed until a month or more down the road so I can properly appreciate them

I'm unfamiliar with jack shaft and sprocket options, but it sounds like the 60t rear sprocket is highly recommended for off road, which is where I'll be spending most my time.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:20 PM
Road Hazard

It's probably a good idea to wait on the upgrades. I bought my bike new in '15, and didn't start putting performance parts on until summer of '18. Gave me plenty of time to familiarize myself with the handling.

And the 60t will be better off road than the 46t stock sprocket. I'm installing a 72t because most of the trails near me are sandy, and because I have 5200 rpm to play with.

One thing I've found is that some of these bigger minibikes have another spring on the throttle that the cable passes through, between the housing clamp and the barrel nut the cable is held by. Those can be removed without anything else being done, other than partially removing the throttle cable. It makes it much easier to hold the throttle open, which lets you ride longer before your wrist catches on fire.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxn View Post
Hey all,

First post. I've been considering picking up a new Trailmaster MB200 and just wanted to get your thoughts/experience/feedback/suggestions.

1. After watching Red Beard's Garage on YouTube, I'm considering purchasing from gps.com. Any thoughts on them? Know anywhere cheaper?

2. Gps.com has a whole page on upgrades. I'm 6'3" 250lb, so I'm planning to go with the 60tooth sprocket, heavy duty shocks, and extra chain. Anyone have opinions on sprockets and/or medium vs heavy shock upgrades?

3. I'm also debating the stage 1 upgrade kit with header, muffler, jet, and filter. https://www.gopowersports.com/stage-...rformance-kit/ but I see there are some more bend options here: https://www.gopowersports.com/stage-...212cc-engines/ . I'm assuming GPS-0020 would be best, but would like to hear if anyone has opinions?

Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

D'OH. I just realized that wouldn't work with the rear fender.
well, consider this, what do you want out of the bike?

in my experience, id upgrade the tires first, my baja warrior tires were no good on anything past light gravel

BUT try out the bike for more then just one month, id say a good 3 months then see what you want to upgrade.

a stage one kit made all the different for me persoanlly, really woke up the engine (then again, i got it for OMB werehouse, there kit is a bit more complete, but i had to make my own exhaust for it)

changing the gearing is personal preference, if you are just bush wacking, gear it down.

those bikes are good quality, there a hybrid between a dirt bike and a mini bike.

belt would probably need replacing (genuine comet belts are the best, but only replace it after the OEM one wears out)

all and all, should be great for anywhere you would like to go!
Old 12-13-2019, 07:25 AM
Road Hazard

I think tires are the last thing one should worry about. I still have the original tires on my bike, and they're great on other terrains as well. I'll be honest, there is't a lot of gravel around here, other than the hill leading up to centralia (which it climbs up just fine). But I commonly have it on limerock, grass, regular trail sand (hard ish), and sugar sand (where your foot sinks a bit when you walk) and I've taken it through some rather rough trails (four wheeler territory). I've seen a few trucks and a SxS get stuck on the road that leads out to the trails, and I haven't been stuck once.