Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 02:20 AM

Default 420 charging system

I need help trying to figure out how to hook up the charging on my predator 420. It has a single wire and when i check it with a meter itís reads it as a ground with the engine off and with it running it doesnít read as a ground. I tried hooking to the battery but it sparks so I didnít do it. I know the wire is coming from the charging coil but have no idea what to do to hook it up to charge my battery. I have this 420 on a carter talon and have already ran wires to use the electric start. Iím not using the switch that came with it. Everything is hooked up correctly and works fine besides the charging side. I have no idea what to do. Picture should be attached.
Attached Thumbnails
8EEE73CE-CDE4-4554-B7DD-39D883BA3A82.jpg  
Old 12-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Thanked 1,164 Times in 963 Posts

If your engine originally came with that charging coil installed... Your control box will have the correct
diode-rectifier, circuit breaker and fuse you need to wire it up like this diagram shows.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderkart View Post
If your engine originally came with that charging coil installed... Your control box will have the correct
diode-rectifier, circuit breaker and fuse you need to wire it up like this diagram shows.

Yes it came with it installed already just making sure I do this right so I donít mess it up. I havenít been able to find a wire diagram to the predator 420. Also is there any other charge coil that produces more power to keep the battery charged or is there only the one that comes with it?
Old 12-04-2019, 05:59 PM

And my charge coil only has 1 wire. That diagram shows two wires. So I’m kinda confused.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Professional Bear Handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron.luster@yahoo.com View Post
And my charge coil only has 1 wire. That diagram shows two wires. So Iím kinda confused.
Idk anything about the 420, but that diagram is showing the coil has a ground, the one towards the bottom. and then it has the wire I believe you're holding in your picture.

I'd assume the coil grounds to the engine block via the bolts.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

To charge your battery looks like you can just jumper off your starter positive lead according to that diagram

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

And I'd think that it should have a voltage output reading on the multimeter in DC when the engine is running.