Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 11-21-2019, 06:19 PM

Default tehcumseh hssk50 mods?

I was wondering if anyone knew any mods for a flat head Tecumseh engine? I have a 5hp Tecumseh engine I got for 30 bucks I dont know if thats a good deal but I would be willing to throw a little money at it to spice it up.

P.S. sorry if this is already a thread somewhere im new to this site and forums in general so I looked around the internet and couldnt find much
Old 11-21-2019, 06:30 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,141 Posts

You won't find any (current) hop up threads concerning any Tecumseh engine on this site because, to quote another member, "the only problem with Tecumsehs is they are outnumbered by guys with limited brain function."

Since the Tecumseh engine division is now defunct, finding parts and hop-up parts is going to be a slim proposition.

I know ARC makes a billet rod for Tecumseh engines, for example, not sure if one is applicable to your particular model or not...https://www.arcracing.com/tecumseh-2/

I'd definitely go for a billet rod and a better carburetor option as a first step.
WavyDaniel (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 06:31 PM

The SK just means snow king, as in a snowblower engine.

So searching HS50 may yield more results,

But it is a small frame engine, meaning it is pretty much a 3hp block with a bigger bore.

The h50, a medium frame engine, is more comparable to a 5hp briggs. You may find a performance rod for a H series, but not for the HS

Even tho the power rating is the same, the HS has much less torque, there major appeal is fitting in tight mini bike frames, where the bigger options just do not fit.

As far as performance, not much aftermarket support exists, and the weakest link is the connecting rod, very fragile in the HS series.

You can do basic stuff, like more direct intake and exhaust manifolds, timing, ect, but with no governor it will not last long.

I hate to recommend this stuff, but $ for HP, and longevity, go on down to the harbor freight and grab a predator, and out the box will smoke the old Tecumseh.

PS- ARC definitely does not manufacture a rod that will fit , you will need to machine your own or have it custom made.
The Following User Says Thank You to karl For This Useful Post:
WavyDaniel (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 06:44 PM

Or, Karl, if he has to have a flathead like that Tec, he could probably find a ubiquitous Briggs 5 horse for the same amount of money--but he'd still have to throw a little money at it ($$$) for some serious mods.

All I know is ARC lists a few rods for Formula engines and I saw one for an HM100 (10 HP) flathead.

Maybe he should just delete the governor on his engine and ride like the wind!...?
Don't red-line it though.
karl (11-21-2019), WavyDaniel (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 06:53 PM

Thank you for the fast response. I have a predator and its fun and reliable but its just kind of boring to me in a sense. Its great but I dont know why the old dirty Tecumseh has some appeal to me I just like how different it is for some odd reason. Its a shame that Tecumseh is no longer but I guess it makes sense.

Would you know where I could find out how to advance the timing and such?
Old 11-21-2019, 07:11 PM

I sent you a PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:24 AM
Road Hazard

Yeah, there aren't many performance parts for these Tecumseh's. But they're fun to work on, excluding the carburetor. Might I suggest an in line fuel shutoff so you can run the carb dry. I've been doing that for years, and the only carb problems I have usually predate my ownership.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:14 AM

I was reading on http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/tecumsehmb.htm#date
and it said that "Also do not discount the newer HSSK50 or LH195 Tecumseh snow blower motors. Though the pull start looks slightly different, theses winter application motors are very good. So good infact, some have a cast iron cylinder (opposed to aluminum.) These are darn good motors."

How can I tell if my engine has a cast iron cylinder?
Old 11-22-2019, 08:24 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

You'll have to pull the cylinder head. If you're not sure what you're doing, don't pull the head. Too much chance of screwing the valvetrain up. If it's a steel(I just call 'em steel) sleeve, a magnet will stick to the rim of the cylinder. And yes, that is a very good thing.
But that still leaves the connecting rod. That article is correct in the fact that a steel sleeve is good, BUT, only at governed speeds. Once you remove the governor for more speed, that rod will probably break, since they're just not designed for high speed.
And governor removal is a fairly elementary performance mod, a lot of other mods are based off of it. So unless you can find a billet aluminum connecting rod for your engine, about the most you can do is a high flow K&N style air filter, and a header. That should provide a little more oomph.
If you do end up pulling the head, you can also install a thinner head gasket or eliminate it entirely, increasing compression and thus even more oomph.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:36 AM
Road Hazard

He knows about the rod. Might I direct you to:
https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index...p-hs50.168072/
WavyDaniel (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 08:50 AM

Thank you for responding to me on both forums J.S.

If I were to eliminate the gasket entirely would there be something I use in place of a gasket?

I had read of bumping the compression by not running a gasket and it giving it a little bit of a bump in performance but with my limited knowledge it sounded like it would leak or something.

P.S. is it bad forum etiquette to keep asking questions in this thread or is that okay?
Old 11-22-2019, 11:30 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

It's fine to keep asking questions here, it's actually more polite so you don't have a bajillion threads.

We have an article in the FAQ section that will help you eliminate the head gasket:http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7358
It's been done before. Higher compression boosts low to mid range torque, but not really HP so much.
WavyDaniel (11-22-2019)