Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Old 12-06-2019, 09:43 PM

Default reviving a old friend

well, i got bit by the small engine bug again, but this time i have the knowledge to do it right (hopefully lol)

this is my mini bike frame that i build around a year ago. needs some work, (mainly more frame reinforcing, and i need to tweek the head-tube to make it straight again)

it had the cheapy 4in harbor freight tires on it before i disassembled it. im planning on running the slightly better 6in ones (13in pneumatic)

i would like to stretch the rear wheel base some (mainly to fit the bigger tires, and to make it more stable)

engine is a honda gc160 i had laying around, made up my own throttle for it (had a OMB warehouse throttle kit, figured i could adapt it)

should be a fun ride!

my goal is to spend as little as humanly possible on this, i currently just need wheels, axles, and throttle.
Attached Thumbnails
20191206_210742.jpg   20191206_205738.jpg  

20191206_211214.jpg   20191206_210748.jpg  

Old 12-07-2019, 07:10 AM

That is a proper DIY minibike!

Looks like my first build, good work!
The Following User Says Thank You to karl For This Useful Post:
mark20 (12-08-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 07:58 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

NICE! You've already got a matching color scheme to get started with!
Whatever you do, DO NOT use ANY wheels, hubs, or tires from Harbor Freight! They're ALL TRASH for this kind of thing! They will blow out very quickly and at unexpected times!
And it's even worse on a minibike when you have a blowout!
Please, do yourself a favor and stay safe.
mark20 (12-08-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 02:59 PM
Road Hazard

I tried using the HF 10" wheels up front on my Carter drifter (with gopowersports bearings of course, I'm crazy, not suicidal). I figures with 4 wheels and a low center of gravity I'd be fine on a kart that maxes out at 25 mph. Rode around for about 20 minutes through my fields (were it was built to go) doing a little drifting, and realized one of the tires was flat. End result was that the once the bearings are replaced (they were worn out from 2yrs on a gate), the next weak link is the tire and tube (I figured it'd be the rim). The tread peeled off and the tube got popped (I can get a pic tomorrow). But the rim wasn't bent or warped like I figured it'd be. However this kart was pretty light at the time (I weigh 150 and the kart can't weigh much more than 80-90 pounds), and I wasn't going fast. Also I was in open fields where if something went wrong I had plenty of time to stop without hitting anything. I do have a set of 4.10x3.50-6 tires (same width 2" taller than the HF wheels and for a 6" rim) coming in the mail, I'll let you know what I think of them.

The tires:
https://www.gopowersports.com/410-x-3-50-6-stud-tire/
mark20 (12-09-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 05:27 PM

Well, ive ran with harbor freight tires before, there ok for around 20mph (this is about the top speed i want without brakes)

I ended up getting the 13in ones, there the new one piece design vs the old 2 piece. But i will be checking them everytime i ride (trust me, the head tube on this frame snapped before, so im not that concerned about tires lol)

Anyway, here's some pics on the progress so far.
Attached Thumbnails
20191207_172242.jpg  
Old 12-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Well, though id update this thread

I ended up stretching the axle back about 5in.

And i added some reinforcement to the headtube

Now i just need to reinforce the axle dropouts and add a throttle, then we should be good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
20191208_135813.jpg   20191208_141317.jpg  

20191208_135949.jpg  
Old 12-09-2019, 09:53 PM

If this is what you’re supporting your axle with I would suggest adding some good life insurance. Looks a bit thin...even if you reinforce it.
Attached Thumbnails
DE5C37C5-7540-4528-ABE2-8109D5CF860B.jpeg  
Old 12-10-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Boy View Post
If this is what youíre supporting your axle with I would suggest adding some good life insurance. Looks a bit thin...even if you reinforce it.
its 3/16 steel, it should hold up just fine after reinforcing.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:23 PM
Road Hazard

Quick question, are you up to date on your life insurance payments? I mean, HF tires and wheels, tinfoil axle hangers, and no brakes! Please, keep this thing away from me, I don't want to be near it when it disintegrates.

At least get a clutch brake. They bolt right to the engine.

We could probably use some input from itsid on this one.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.@SMS View Post
Quick question, are you up to date on your life insurance payments? I mean, HF tires and wheels, tinfoil axle hangers, and no brakes! Please, keep this thing away from me, I don't want to be near it when it disintegrates.

At least get a clutch brake. They bolt right to the engine.

We could probably use some input from itsid on this one.
1. no, im too cheap

2. trust me i will, i dont want to ruin the patina

3. i do have brakes on it, its called my feet.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Road Hazard

Ok, we have arrived at the conclusion that you’re using Fred Flintstone brakes. But at least spend $30 on a set of tires that won’t have a blowout at high speeds. And please, use some better axle hangers, or reinforce those better. I’ve had a bike rear tire axle break on me once, while I was riding through some trees. Less just say that it’s not a good feeling when you lose control of a bike while riding through trees, and it’s a worse feeling bouncing off one (Schwinn did sends me a new wheel, which also broke). And I tried not to scare you when I said the tire just popped. The truth is, I was drifting around a corner, doing about 15mph, when the tire blew out. The kart turned sideways and flipped. I luckily just sprained my wrist. So please, put a set of good tires on it.
landuse (12-11-2019), mark20 (12-10-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Ok, we have arrived at the conclusion that youíre using Fred Flintstone brakes. But at least spend $30 on a set of tires that wonít have a blowout at high speeds. And please, use some better axle hangers, or reinforce those better. Iíve had a bike rear tire axle break on me once, while I was riding through some trees. Less just say that itís not a good feeling when you lose control of a bike while riding through trees, and itís a worse feeling bouncing off one (Schwinn did sends me a new wheel, which also broke). And I tried not to scare you when I said the tire just popped. The truth is, I was drifting around a corner, doing about 15mph, when the tire blew out. The kart turned sideways and flipped. I luckily just sprained my wrist. So please, put a set of good tires on it.
ive snapped my fair share of bike frames (one was a diamondback, the other was a marlin)

guess you cant do downhill mountain biking on a xc bike...

but anyway, those will be reinforced, i havent done it yet (been busy doing other things)

and if i find a set of better tires ill put them on.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Road Hazard

Do you mean a Trek Marlin? I've put around 500mi on mine so far (I've had it for two years now). It's the toughest bike I've had, and I imagine it'd take a lot to brake that frame (though it is aluminum). Haven't broke any frames in half yet, but between my walmart schwinn and my sports authority trayl (cheapo offbrand) I've broken, or worn out nearly every other part (the exceptions being the forks and handlebars).
Old 12-16-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Do you mean a Trek Marlin? I've put around 500mi on mine so far (I've had it for two years now). It's the toughest bike I've had, and I imagine it'd take a lot to brake that frame (though it is aluminum). Haven't broke any frames in half yet, but between my walmart schwinn and my sports authority trayl (cheapo offbrand) I've broken, or worn out nearly every other part (the exceptions being the forks and handlebars).
my bad, it was a trek 950 (i dont know why i said marlin)

the diamondback (it was a sorrento) had cracked between the downtube and the bb. ( i hit the double, ended up not having enough speed to clear it, the welded part had landed smake dab onto a rock causing it to crack)

i ended up putting a motor on it and rode it untill i sold it

the trek i had the seat-stay crack on me (not fully but you could see the sunlight though it)

ended up parting that one out.

now i have a proflex 9000 and a cannondale cujo 1, and not a frame crack since!

(edit, heres the diamondback sorrento with the motor on it)
Attached Thumbnails
1554844880576.jpg  
Old 02-01-2020, 07:07 AM

I broke 2 mongoose frames back around 1982, bike shop was tired of warranty work so they gave me a Hutch pro frame to shut me up I