Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Seat belts for off road karts

Hi,

I'm looking at getting an off road go kart (most likely 2nd hand) for use in my large field. Obviously, my main concern is safety, but as I've never owned one of these before, I'd quite like to have a couple of pointers about kart safety, etc.

All the karts I've seen have roll cages, but some of the ones I've seen which are capable of 40mph+ don't have any seat belts. Is it a good idea or a bad idea to have a seat belt on an off road kart? Others I've looked at have just lap belts or a full 4-point harness.

What's the best option to go for? Some of my friends say that you're better to be thrown clear in the event of a roll over, and others say it's best to get one with harnesses.

I can see why a 4 point harness would be better than a lap belt - offering much more upper body restraining, but are there any disadvantages of a 4 point harness compared to a lap belt? And as I've never worn a harness before, are they quite fiddly to fasten up and tighten while sitting in a racing-style bucket seat?

One final question, when wearing a lap belt or harness, is it better to have some slack in the belt (like car belts on inertia reels have) or is it better to do it up as tight as it will possibly go?

Thanks, and sorry if these are stupid questions I've only really ever done track-type karting, and never ventured into off-road before!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

you'd want a multi point harness if you're really hitting it hard... Imagine taking a beating, and having your upper body thrown side to side... If a rollover happened, you want to be in the cage, not outside of it.

If you don't have a cage, I wouldn't personally put a belt on it. That way if you rolled it, you can get out from under the thing easily.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdjung View Post
you'd want a multi point harness if you're really hitting it hard... Imagine taking a beating, and having your upper body thrown side to side... If a rollover happened, you want to be in the cage, not outside of it.

If you don't have a cage, I wouldn't personally put a belt on it. That way if you rolled it, you can get out from under the thing easily.
So a 4-point harness is probably the best way to go? What disadvantages are there when comparing a 4-point harness to a standard lap belt, apart from the complexity?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:23 PM

How wide and long is your cart, it can sometime be very hard to tip karts and other very easy.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 AM

I'm still looking for one so don't know the exact dimensions yet, but I'd quite like a 2-seater. Trouble is, the place where I'll be driving it is littered with anthills, up to about 30cm tall!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:08 PM

Then you should make one with some suspension. I think a lap belt should be adequate.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:21 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations for good lap belts and 4 point harnesses available in the UK that are suitable for both adults and children, and are comfortable to wear?

And also, if I go for a 2-seater go kart, will a lap belt suffice for the passenger seat (I'm thinking about ccomplexity here and having to show passengers how to strap in if they have a harness) or is it better just to go for a 4-point harness?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

I personally would do a lap belt, but if you're thinking about rolling this thing, do 4 point. The disadvantages I mentioned in the rolling comment. A lap belt might not keep you in the cage. On the other hand, you could install a bunch of hand holds for people. Up to you really.
The Following User Says Thank You to robertdjung For This Useful Post:
kart_tom (09-11-2007)
Old 09-11-2007, 02:37 PM

I'll probably go with a 4-point harness then - better to be safe than sorry I imagine I'd also be able to strap myself into the seat much tighter with a 4-point harness than a lap belt (and not have my upper body fly around). I have no intention of rolling, but if "the unthinkable" would happen, I think I'd rather have a 4-point harness and put up with the mild inconvenience of the extra straps.

Can anybody recommend a good 4-point harness that is also comfortable to wear?
Old 09-13-2007, 04:50 PM

i live in the uk to wher are ther big anthills lol