Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 11-14-2019, 11:03 AM

Default Stuck pulley on shaft. Any tips?

This pulley is supposed to slide freely off the shaft right?
I cant seem to get it unstuck. I've used penetrating blaster, heat, and a gear puller and it won't budge. Any ideas?

Stuck torque converter pulley https://imgur.com/gallery/kqVuPLy
Old 11-14-2019, 11:26 AM

I may get criticized, and may be wrong. I've seen stuck flywheels removed with an air hammer on the shaft and a prybar behind the flywheel applying outward pressure, perhaps this method may work for the engine shaft side too?
Old 11-14-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerft85 View Post
I may get criticized, and may be wrong. I've seen stuck flywheels removed with an air hammer on the shaft and a prybar behind the flywheel applying outward pressure, perhaps this method may work for the engine shaft side too?
Its on a jackshaft it appears...that actually might be a valid solution if you put the driven against something really heavy.

Also probably a terrible idea...put some oil in the key hole. Drive the kart really hard(without the key) until enough torque is placed so the driven will spin free. the oil should keep the two in ok shape for the few revolutions it will make once it breaks loose. Obviously, once it breaks loose stop the kart and go from there.
Hellion (11-17-2019), MTopp (12-04-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerft85 View Post
I'll se what I can do. My tools are limited and I dont have any power tools. Am I correct in thinking the c clip doesn't need to be removed and is only part of the pulley assembly?
Old 11-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Supporter

I literally did this yesterday to reposition my jackshaft lol. Yes the C-clip is part of the pulley assembly. It took me two hours to get mine off. All I had was a propane torch, a 16" drift punch, 1 can of seafoam Deep Creep and a short 2-1/2 lb sledge hammer.

I started by removing the nut on the pulley and put the torch to it on both sides, spinning the pulley slowly. Be careful around the small rubber pieces on the pulley! If they start to smoke then you move the heat away.

When it was warm, I sprayed the inside of the keyway on both sides. Then took the drift punch and tapped(more like smacked) on the center of the backside of the pulley, spun it 180, then tapped it again. I just repeated the tapping procedure on the back until it started moving which took a while by myself. Once it started moving I gently tapped the key in a tad bit with a screwdriver to free it up, sprayed it again and went back to tapping it off. If you're persistent like I am then it should work. I ended up knocking the pulley back and forth on the shaft to loosen it up

This method also got both siezed rims off of my rear axle, which I had to do to both of my Murrays
The Following User Says Thank You to Wilson_Engine_Shop For This Useful Post:
MTopp (12-04-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Default Last piece of pulley still stuck

Hey, thank you all for the help in getting stuck pulleys off of my Murray Explorer. I was able to disassemble the torque converter and get most of the assembly off. Now I just have this last piece of the pulley that I can't remove. It doesn't appear to be rusted on or anything. I feel this piece should just slip off but it almost seems like a permanent fixture on the shaft. I'm sure it is supposed to be able to be removed. Any thoughts?

Back half of pulley https://imgur.com/gallery/iOAfZVH
Old 11-16-2019, 01:05 PM

Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,500 Posts

Heat... need heat....
Keep the torch moving...
Also try touching a candle stub to the end of the sleeve over the shaft, while hot... this help to break the seal.... The wax will wick in the joint...
Wilson_Engine_Shop (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 02:48 PM

Is that piece that is flat on both sides a nut or just the piece that holds the c-clip?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:44 PM
Broke

Holds the clip. As he said above. Use heat. My friend used a press after we couldn't get his off.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Supporter

I just took some pictures of my removal process. Heat and lube are your best friends here. Since you have the face of the pulley removed that will make this a lot easier. If you can, get a propane torch like this one(fairly cheap) and heat up the whole pulley shaft.

Then spray some wd40 or something into the keyway to aid with removal. The easiest way to get it off is to use force. I took my metal rod and put it on the back of the pulley and hit it hard. You will need to have the sprocket tightened down on the opposite side to keep the jackshaft in place.

Smack the back of the pulley a couple times, rotate it 180 and do the same thing. This will take a while so have a cold beverage close by! Reapply heat and penetrant as necessary.

I wish i would've taken a video of how i did it lol. I didnt have any help at the time
Attached Thumbnails
20191116_164338.jpg   20191116_164230.jpg  

Old 11-16-2019, 07:56 PM

Hey, thanks so much! I'll keep at it!
Old 11-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,141 Posts

Turn the kart or axle up on its side and allow gravity to assist the penetrant (WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, etc) to work its way into the seized part. Add some more every hour or so.

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt and an ordeal but we've all BTDT (been there, done that).

Use the blowtorch more. Heat it up and hit it with the penetrating fluid (it only sizzles with me, never catches fire). Perhaps several heating and cooling cycles will break it free.

The candle trick is a good method.

And to make sure it never happens again--or to create good karma should I sell a kart to someone else, I clean the offending part of rust, polish it clean and coat it with grease or anti-seize compound. Never again!
Wilson_Engine_Shop (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Turn the kart or axle up on its side and allow gravity to assist the penetrant (WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, etc) to work its way into the seized part. Add some more every hour or so.

Yeah, it's a pain in the butt and an ordeal but we've all BTDT (been there, done that).

Use the blowtorch more. Heat it up and hit it with the penetrating fluid (it only sizzles with me, never catches fire). Perhaps several heating and cooling cycles will break it free.

And to make sure it never happens again--or to create good karma should I sell a kart to someone else, I clean the offending part of rust, polish it clean and coat it with grease or anti-seize compound. Never again!
Hey, thank you! I appreciate the tips and encouragement! I've been really struggling with this thing! I thought I was crazy but I see this is the way it is! Yeah, I will definitely be removing all the rust and greasing her up so it never happens again! I cant wait to get this little kart running again!
Old 11-17-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Ok all, I've tried all morning to get this dang pulley off. I've tried all the tricks, penetrating oil, heat, gear puller, hammer and pipe, candle wax and then repeat all the above. What else can I do at this point? Can I use a angle grinder to cut a relief notch in the pulley and rip it off? I just cant believe it won't budge at all. I keep thinking I'm missing something here . . .
Old 11-17-2019, 02:16 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

I think you have a set screw somewhere that you overlooked. Look for an allen head set screw. There may be more than one.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Not sure if the OP paid much attention to your reply, Wilson E Shop, but your words speak to the heart of the issue I think. Good detail there.

The only thing really missing is photos to show where you applied heat and physical force. I myself barely understand the anatomy of the torque converter and don't quite understand what's stuck and or why....

OTOH, I had some keyed wheel hubs stuck on an old Ken-Bar axle and they had to be beaten off every single inch of the way. The hubs were pretty much dog-eared from all the hammering but they came off with a lot of sweat and cursing. It's quite amazing how rust "welds" things together.

There's two different threads about the same stuck pulley, or the same TC on the same kart. Best to merge them both into a nice, cohesive whole.
Wilson_Engine_Shop (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Could very well be something he overlooked, JT. No one is there with him in Florida so tons of pics of this pulley and its associated parts wouldn't be a bother to us at all [hint, hint].

As it is, we're essentially a bunch of blind mechanics being asked to help fix something by description only.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Supporter

My dad (engine builder and fabricator for 40+ years) told me that if you're at your wits end, to just cut two slots in the pulley (180 apart) and try to separate it from the shaft. Obviously make sure you don't cut the jackshaft at all either

I would have wanted to replace the whole driven pulley anyway just from looking at the rust on it. GoPowerSports is one place I trust where you can get a quality replacement 7" driven pulley for Murray's. I dont mean to sound like an advertisement lol but I love the parts i've ordered so far from them.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:41 PM

Hey, thank you all for your input. This forum has really surprised me in it's generosity in helping me. I will post a bunch of photos tomorrow to help in diagnosing the problem. I really appreciate all of you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Coverfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Could very well be something he overlooked, JT. No one is there with him in Florida so tons of pics of this pulley and its associated parts wouldn't be a bother to us at all [hint, hint].

As it is, we're essentially a bunch of blind mechanics being asked to help fix something by description only.
Ok, here are the photos to help with diagnosis. Last pulley stuck
https://imgur.com/gallery/MISvaub
Areas that I applied oil, heat, and wax https://imgur.com/a/lJyvLqj
The Following User Says Thank You to Coverfire For This Useful Post:
Hellion (11-18-2019)