Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Did not Finish Logs

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 PM
thinwater thinwater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 67
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

We welded up the rear frames tonight. It took a little longer than it should have because we had to build a flat table top to weld on and make a jig on.

The two cross bars that hole the motor mount plate were about 1/8" to long and would have had to have been forced in so I will trim them in the mill tomorrow before welding in.

We did some destructive testing by welding some scraps of the same material that we are using then beating it with a hammer until it failed. The metal around the weld tore and left the weld in place. I have 100% confidence in the strength of the welds, even if they are not the prettiest.
Attached Thumbnails
my rear frame.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to thinwater For This Useful Post:
Flyinhillbilly (02-28-2017)
  #22  
Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 PM
Flyinhillbilly's Avatar
Flyinhillbilly Flyinhillbilly is offline
The great cornholio
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: North West Arkansas
Posts: 1,924
Thanks: 2,087
Thanked 841 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
We welded up the rear frames tonight. It took a little longer than it should have because we had to build a flat table top to weld on and make a jig on.

The two cross bars that hole the motor mount plate were about 1/8" to long and would have had to have been forced in so I will trim them in the mill tomorrow before welding in.

We did some destructive testing by welding some scraps of the same material that we are using then beating it with a hammer until it failed. The metal around the weld tore and left the weld in place. I have 100% confidence in the strength of the welds, even if they are not the prettiest.
Destructive testing is one of my favorite kinds.
__________________
You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning
  #23  
Old 03-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Kartorbust's Avatar
Kartorbust Kartorbust is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 2,555
Thanks: 557
Thanked 690 Times in 578 Posts
Default

I'd even take it a bit further and try to bend it with a cheater bar, so that way you can see any impurities in the weld. Though dye penetrant NDT works pretty well for discovering weld cracks and what not.
__________________
Whatever I did, I DIDN'T do it!
  #24  
Old 03-01-2017, 09:19 PM
chancer's Avatar
chancer chancer is offline
ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: COMFORT, TEXAS
Posts: 9,363
Thanks: 2,438
Thanked 3,074 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I am a licensed firearms manufacturer with a "Special Occupation Tax" stamp that allows me to make machine guns and silencers.



I'll PM you! LOL
__________________
Why don't you, go back to your double wide and fry something!
  #25  
Old 03-05-2017, 08:50 AM
thinwater thinwater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 67
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I cant get my phone to allow my computer to access photos on it so I broke out an old digital camera that has been dropped and takes out of focus pictures.

I got the rear frames ground and one of the two motor mount supports welded into each one.
Attached Thumbnails
my rear frames.jpg  
  #26  
Old 03-05-2017, 08:51 AM
thinwater thinwater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 67
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I welded up the roll bars.
Attached Thumbnails
my roll bar.jpg  
  #27  
Old 03-05-2017, 08:58 AM
thinwater thinwater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 67
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I read in other builds how hard it was to get the holes in the spindle mounts that are used as hinges for the front and rear suspension to line up. I decided to avoid all of that and made several of them on the CNC mill. I started by taking 3/8" wall 3x3 tube and slicing it into pieces just over 1 inch thick on my band saw. Once I had a pile of them I put them in the mill and faced them all off to the same thickness. I stood them up and drilled two holes from the top through the bottom then cut them in 1/2 on the band saw. The holes are exactly the same distance on every one from the long flat side of the part. This is the side that gets welded to the frame so I know all holes will line up exactly (If they are welded on correctly). I will install a smooth tight fitting pin through each part before welding it on to make sure it is lined up.

Sorry about the crappy photo, but with the above description you should get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
my hinge bracket.jpg  
  #28  
Old 03-07-2017, 06:30 PM
thinwater thinwater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 67
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I got the main frame welded up.
Attached Thumbnails
my frames 2.jpg  
  #29  
Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 PM
thinwater thinwater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 67
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I redesigned the front suspension. The plans used a kingpin welded to the spindle and it was already in a "Bound up" position at rest, with little to no travel potential downward. If you went over a hole, it could not travel downward much to smooth it out.

I made two side plates for each spindle that will bolt to the heim joints with the holes turned horizontal instead of vertical. There is virtually no limit to the travel within this assembly with the heim joints turned this way. Travel will still be limited by the coil over shocks, but the joint cant bind.

The axle will be welded to a 5" long bar of 1" x1" steel and one of the plates welded to each side of the steel bar. I made the plates on my CNC plasma cutter out of 3/16" plate. I considered 1/4" plate but it seemed to be just adding weight for no reason since this is so strong.
Attached Thumbnails
my brackets 2.jpg   my brackets.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to thinwater For This Useful Post:
kevbo22 (03-09-2017)
  #30  
Old 03-09-2017, 03:08 PM
kevbo22's Avatar
kevbo22 kevbo22 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 343
Thanks: 135
Thanked 108 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I redesigned the front suspension. The plans used a kingpin welded to the spindle and it was already in a "Bound up" position at rest, with little to no travel potential downward. If you went over a hole, it could not travel downward much to smooth it out.

I made two side plates for each spindle that will bolt to the heim joints with the holes turned horizontal instead of vertical. There is virtually no limit to the travel within this assembly with the heim joints turned this way. Travel will still be limited by the coil over shocks, but the joint cant bind.

The axle will be welded to a 5" long bar of 1" x1" steel and one of the plates welded to each side of the steel bar. I made the plates on my CNC plasma cutter out of 3/16" plate. I considered 1/4" plate but it seemed to be just adding weight for no reason since this is so strong.
That sir, is BRILLIANT!!!
  #31  
Old 03-10-2017, 01:28 AM
Denny Denny is offline
Canned Monster
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mayberry, Indiana
Posts: 1,444
Thanks: 84
Thanked 664 Times in 496 Posts
Default

How is the spindle going to move when you go to turn? With those plates welded to the spindle it won't move.


Denny
  #32  
Old 03-10-2017, 06:38 AM
Mr. Spindle's Avatar
Mr. Spindle Mr. Spindle is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: The middle of nowhere (Middle TN)
Posts: 498
Thanks: 265
Thanked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Default

I can't wait to see the finished Karts....
__________________
I just bought a honda!
  #33  
Old 03-10-2017, 02:37 PM
thinwater thinwater is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 67
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
How is the spindle going to move when you go to turn? With those plates welded to the spindle it won't move.


Denny
My bad for not explaining the entire assembly.

Here is a quick drawing to kind of show how it will work. The bottom 1" x 1" block will be 1" higher up and flush before welding.
Attached Thumbnails
axle assmbly.jpg  
  #34  
Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM
robertdjung's Avatar
robertdjung robertdjung is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,774
Thanks: 326
Thanked 1,021 Times in 427 Posts
Default

Always love updates! If you have more pics and some time!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:47 AM.