Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_McCormic View Post
Engine revs but wheel dont move unless on stand? Its the clutch.
Engine revs up high on stand, and spins wheel. On ground, engine revs, but not as much as on stand, and wheel barley spins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootrules31 View Post
well thats what you get for buying chineese rubish
No, that's what I get for buying from a person without a sence of decency.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 AM
Etre Et Durer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfootrules31 View Post
well thats what you get for buying chineese rubish
My Chinese rubbish is more reliable then a GX25, genuine article. If you treat a GX200 clone (also "Chinese rubbish") like ****, what kind of performance can you expect? Thats right, ****.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a stock 49cc pocketbike engine, and they can prove to be a reliable workhorse-when you get into serious engine modification, there lifetime can be reduced.

The reason Josh got screwed was because of the dishonest **** who sold it to him. Not because of the uncared for motor.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:28 AM

I took a video of what the pocket rocket is like when the wheel is in the air, when I'm on it, and when I hold it still. Please let me know what you think it's most likely to be. Is it still possible that it is the clutch slipping?
Here's the link:
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 AM
Crazy Guy on a Bicycle

It definately seems like your clutch! Your engine seems to have plenty of power, but it's not getting to the wheel.

Sucks about the pocket bike, but I'd recommend keeping it, and replacing the clutch, or putting a big 4 stroke engine in the pocket bike with a go-kart clutch and making it fun.

A 6.5HP clone would make a really fast pocket bike.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 PM

Sounds like it has plently of power its just the clutch. I can hear the pads screaming "Help me" from here.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Hooligan

Well, here's what I'd do in your situation:

A) Buy a brand-new clutch for the bike, and try it, see if it works.
B) If that does not work, try a new clutch bell housing.
C) Pick up that other bike, so you would have TWO bikes, and get that one running well.
D) Part your original one out, and try making back your money off the parts.

I have four of these bikes, plus a bunch of parts. I figure I've spent at least $500 and then some for everything so far. Not a single one of the bikes was over $100, but at least one of them has an extra $100 in parts on it.

Ultimately, it's your call. I AM sorry to hear you got screwed like this, though - some people just don't have any sense of decency. Been there, done that - now I suspect everything that sounds too good to be true, even if it IS true.

P.S. Regardless of what these guys say, putting a bigger engine in that bike would simply snap the frame like a twig. Cags don't do well on engine swaps. Cateye frames, however ..... Several people have swapped in 6.5hp engines, both here and at PBP.com, and appently the swap isn't that hard - just some custom brackets for the engine, a new clutch setup, a few little odds and ends, and a set of wheelie bars on your butt to keep you on the seat for when you crack that throttle open ........
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 AM

What's a cateye frame?

I'm going to buy a performance clutch (still 3 shoe), as I probably would have got one eventually anyway.

I think my chain is the wrong type to.
The bike came with a new sprocket AND chain, but they were off the bike. The chain didn't fit on the sprocket on the bike so I took it off and put the other one on. I did not change front sprocket as well. It seemed to fit on so I just forgot about it. I don't think it's the problem because of the few times it went fast. Do I still need a new chain or will I forget about it as it seemed to spin properly?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 AM
Love To Build!

I don't know about yours but my pocket bike has a #25 chain on it with a 6T clutch and 60T sprocket. I bought mine new for $200 off ebay about two years ago and it came with an extra pull rope assy, chain and clutch. The only problems I had out of mine besides adjusting the carb when I first got it was the pull rope and/or spring breaking.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 PM

Reckon I should buy a clutch for around $20 (as I would probably want one now, rather then waiting and getting a cheap one). Or, get a whole engine, with clutch, starter, carby, air filter, throttle cap etc..., for $70?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Etre Et Durer.

$70 mate. Play it safe is my opinion; for $50 extra you have a variety of parts and such.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Hooligan

As long as your chain goes smoothly onto the sprocket and pinion gears without binding, it should be okay. Most pocketbikes have #25 chain - mine came with a 6/68 gearing setup (6th pinion in front, 68th sprocket in the rear).

Actually, I'd go for the $90 option - get both the engine AND the extra clutch. That way you not only get the clutch working, but you also have a complete motor, just in case ....

The FS509 Cateye is a 49cc pocketbike with dual headlights and taillights (not street-legal). They are commonly referred to as "Crap-eyes" because of the unreal amount of problems these bikes seem to have. However, the frame is surprisingly adaptable for an engine swap to an upright Briggs&Stratton or Honda 3.5-6.5hp motor with little modification (custom brackets need to be made and welded onto the frame, plus a new minibike clutch and chain drive). Here's a link to a picture of the bike:
http://www.scooterparts4less.com/49c...bike_parts.htm

Here's a thread on PBP.com about a "modded" cateye with engine swap:
http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/f129...eye-46015.html
Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm playing is patient and I'll wait till a good deal comes along. Whether it is a cheap clutch, a cheap engine or a cheap full bike.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Hooligan

That's the way to do it. You may wait a bit longer instead of getting it right NOW, but the wait is usually worth it. I picked up all my bikes from craigslist, one in almost brand-new condition. A couple of bikes I bought for parts (try $50 for a parts bike with a good strong running engine! How much is a brand new engine again ....?)
Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 AM

I'm looking at this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123

What do you all think? Both have flat rear tyres, but both have racing exhausts, 1 runs, etc..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Lord of the noise

Looks good, I would get it IF "1 runs" means that the other wont start. If it is completely seized then...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 AM

Does your clutch smell burned, it will stink, and take the air cleaner off, and see if the choke is level to the earth when it's "off" . Also timing, points, carb, AHHHhahhh Opps, sorry.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:44 AM

I tried to take the clutch off today and it wouldn't come off!! I took the pull starter off and held on to the flywheel with vice grips and a cloth, then put vice grips on the other end, and it just wouldn't budge. What do I do?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Kartless....

Use a strap wrench on the flywheel. I need pictures!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_McCormic View Post
Use a strap wrench on the flywheel. I need pictures!
What is a strap wrench? I'll try the WD40 probably on the weekend and I'll take pictures after I try it if it doesn't work.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM

WD40 won't work, it isn't seized, just torqued on.

A strap wrench is a tool that has a strap made of a friction-y material that you can tighten onto things like pipes or flywheels to undo them.
Closed Thread