Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Default Manco scorpion

Hey yall my brother in-law had a scorpion hiding in the trees under a bed of pine needles. I pulled it out and cleaned it up a little fuel tank was dry and clean i tried starting it with eather but it wouldnt so i poured gas in the tank and replaced the spark plug it fired up on the second pull!

Its not the original motor from what im reading on here. Its a honda gx160 5.5hp i tried driving it down the street last night after i got it running it is sound motor wise but i need to clean up and adjust the steering. Kart wont turn worth a darn left wheel does but right wont its about straight maybe toed in a little.

The seat was rotten and full of ants so it went in the trash im going to try and find one for sale or just make one. The karts for my daughters so it might wind up pink or purple the honda is electric start so im hoping the coil and all to charge a battery is good so i can put some lights on and get this thing going.

Ive read about akermann steering alignment but dont understand how to do it. I think im going to try and eyeball it today. I have a manual i found on here from another thread they said its a 606C-14 ill try and verify if i can find a data tag.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:37 PM

Cool score! I'm sure with some detailed pictures of the steering will have better results with fixing the steering, and may I add, that think needs something stupid for a power plant!
Old 10-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Thats shy they weren’t working...

I ran out both steering linkages and ran them back in the same number of times both sides to where they had a slight toe in now itll almost do doughnuts where before it took the whole culdesac. There is a lot of slop in the hiem joints ill get new ones before long and try to hunt down new spindles.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smerft85 View Post
Cool score! I'm sure with some detailed pictures of the steering will have better results with fixing the steering, and may I add, that think needs something stupid for a power plant!

Its a little better now it just feels jerky driving straight any small input inti steering is drastic left or right. New tires may help
Old 10-23-2019, 01:35 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track, I'd agree on spindles and tires, may look into cleaning up your t/c and a new belt too when you can. Hiem joints will help too, they are probably causing the squirrelly steering or at least part of it. Bmi and gopowersports should have all that stuff available. Your steering linkage is, well kinda different. I might suggest taking it apart one piece at a time and take mental note as well as a few pictures so you don't lose track of how things go, only other thing I can think of is maybe check all the welds over, make sure nothing has rusted out or been heavily damaged before thrashing it too hard, I had to walk one of mine a half mile back home when I last broke it, and that's not pleasant.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you are on the right track.

Thanks ive called the local auto parts store they couldn’t cross or at least figure out how to the 5959 belt. So ill order one online.

Tires will be coming shortly the ones on it are do old they feel like plastic. The kart vibrates real bad too the plywood seat doesn’t help.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:15 PM

Anyone have info on a brake for this the only brake parts i have for it are a pedal and cable..
Old 10-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Check out Amazon, a band and drum brake, or even a manual disk set-up are both reasonable in price.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Check out Amazon, a band and drum brake, or even a manual disk set-up are both reasonable in price.
Yea gps has a disk setup for about $50 that didnt seem bad to me. My only thing is the axle is a hex. Figured out the converter was stuck in top end guess thats why i had to help it start with rolling the back tire. The belt is worn pretty good too try to find one local tomorrow.

Carb is leaking going to get a rebuild kit. But rode it around alot today with my girls. They had a ball.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

The pullys are just under 7” apart and the converter is 6” dia so i need the 5959 belt correct?
Old 10-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Broke

Since I didn't see it before you should take that torque converter off and at the least clean it off good, the rust will just eat your belts. And if it's too bad (looks pretty bad) you could replace the pulleys.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingocat View Post
Since I didn't see it before you should take that torque converter off and at the least clean it off good, the rust will just eat your belts. And if it's too bad (looks pretty bad) you could replace the pulleys.

Thats the plan for tomorrow going to clean them up i pulled the belt off tonight thats how i found out the TC was stuck in the top end i am going to take it apart and try to clean it and smooth them out.

Does anyone know a part number i can get a 5959 belt from a local parts house?

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote:

What size motor you think?
Old 10-23-2019, 11:03 PM

The predator 420cc or similar would push it nice, 670cc v-twin predator would be awesome but probably more work than needs to be done to handle it. The belts for the t/c units are specific to your t/c, I know a couple of the main kart sites will ask for your measurements to match the belt to function properly. Automotive belts may work for a little while, but will be a bigger headache in the end. I'd check out either bmikarts or gopowersports, I believe both have a chart to help you order the correct belt.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:41 AM

Ive got about $200 in the cart on GPS and am wondering if i should just go find a newer kart haha new spindles brake disk and caliper belt coverter plastic button things i have no idea what they are for.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:46 AM

Not sure an auto parts store can help you with that belt. Here are some #5959 belt options.

https://www.vbelts4less.com/5959

https://beltpalace.com/manco5959.html

https://www.ombwarehouse.com/oem-rep...t-203589a.html

http://rdswebs.net/reliablegokarts.c...word=5959+belt
Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Ordered a 5959 offline im having an issue where the driven pulley is getting stuck between cam bumpers im not sure if it’s because the belt is stretched and worn or what i flipped the cam bumpers to where the un worn ones where the ones making contact on broke off ill have to pick it out but with just two it actually stayed in low end but the drivef was estinv the belt throwing rubber
Old 10-24-2019, 03:57 PM
Broke

Preload. You're supposed to preload the spring before putting the thing together. Someone else will habe to explain how to do it. Or YT.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiantarms View Post
Ive got about $200 in the cart on GPS and am wondering if i should just go find a newer kart haha new spindles brake disk and caliper belt coverter plastic button things i have no idea what they are for.
If you walk away from it let me know, I'd take it in!
Old 10-25-2019, 09:08 AM

No plan to walk away yet haha ill look into preloading the spring i need to get another driven setup the one i have is rusted and just a new spring and cam bumpers is $25 so ill get a new one for $30
Old 10-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Aka a kenbar

tractor supply has springs inner tubes tires belts paint anything you need paint is 6$ a can btw
Old 10-25-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget GoKart View Post
tractor supply has springs inner tubes tires belts paint anything you need paint is 6$ a can btw
I tried to see if they had a rebuild kit for the series 30 converter but couldn’t find anything. The driven is pitted and rusty so i was just thinking of getting a new one.

I have about two dozen cans of spray paint in the garage itll be painted soon. New tires will probably be next week. And brakes

New belt came in today its about twice as wide as the old one same part number could have alot to do with it
Old 01-23-2020, 07:09 PM
Mistress of Destruction

Okay I know this is SUUUUUUPER late to the game but as a owner of 3 of these here's a few things:

1) Steering will be janky no matter how many times you replace rust with Alabama chrome. Best bet is to get some (or have some made) heavy duty front spindles, and tie rods because these are notorious or being flimsy. Even a steering rack from an ATV or golf cart would be better.

2) Replace the rear axle with a standard 1" round live axle setup. They are a 7/8" aluminum hex which are a dying breed because they just don't hold up to severe roughriding and have been known to bend at a feather's weight (Found that out after a small jump) Not to mention the wheels are specific to this style axle. You can find the 4 lug hub adapters here and there but it's easier just to go with what's common. Plus you can run whatever brakes, sprockets, or other drives you want off of it without special hub adapters.

3) Brakes on this thing SUCK. So make sure you compensate for braking with early deceleration. Once they get used twice they heat up and tend to glaze. I put double drums on one of mine and that held up to a 13hp with about 280lbs of rider.

These are very very fun machines and they roll like a champ. The frames are strong, body fabrication is pretty easy, and it's comfortable for any size or shaped rider who can fit in it. Just keep in mind while they may be janky from factory they tend to grow on you after a while with some minor mods.
landuse (01-23-2020)