Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Build Contest > Build Off Contest Build Logs

Notices

Old 08-13-2018, 01:12 AM

Default 2018 - JBone's Barstool Kart

Hello all!

New guy here to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. Just now starting my barstool kart build and figured it would be fun to enter into the contest.

So far I have my frame, engine, and a couple axle accessories (bearings, spindles, etc.), with more parts on the way.

The frame was ordered from Comet Kart Sales. I decided to start with a pre-welded frame to save a little time and headache. For the price, it is hard to beat. When considering materials (steel, welding wire, etc.) and time involved, it was a no-brainer...

The engine in a HFT Predator 212cc 6.5HP. It is a non-Hemi version, as I am in Cali and we only have CARB models available here.

Here are my entry pics. I will be updating the thread as I receive parts and build.

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Here is the bare frame. 1-1/4" tubing and the only parts not pre-welded are the wheelie bar and steering column.

I first started by getting the engine bolted down.

Next, I installed the rear axle bearings (from eBay). This kart will utilize a 1-1/4" live rear axle. I opted to go with a 40" long 1-1/4" Tubular Aluminum Axle which is on it's way and purchased from BMI.

I also installed the front spindles (from eBay). These are 5/8" axles 4-1/2" long.

That is where I am at so far. I am currently waiting on the rear axle and all 4 hubs to arrive from BMI.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBone For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (08-13-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 01:52 AM

Had a few parts show up today. Nothing too exciting, but i received the rear axle, all 4 hubs, and some misc hardware (spacers and lock collars). All of this came from BMI.

I have a few more parts en route as well from Comet and BMI. Coming from Comet is the MCP rear brake caliper, hand activated master cylinder, brake disc and hub, and all 4 wheels (Douglas). Coming from BMI is the chain sprocket (60 tooth) and hub, and a brake caliper bracket. All this stuff should be here next week, so I will update then.

Pics for your pleasure...

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Can a mod please move this to the "Build Off Contest Build Logs" section please? Was completely unaware I put it in the wrong section.
landuse (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:18 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

Are you using old bearing races as spacers on the spindles?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome-ezgo View Post
Are you using old bearing races as spacers on the spindles?
They are just standard aluminum wheel spacers which came from BMI.
https://www.bmikarts.com/Assorted-58...ts_p_2381.html

I can see how you thought there were bearing races though
Old 08-22-2018, 02:18 AM

Got some more parts in and some more work done. I received some parts from Comet (Douglas wheels, MCP billet brake caliper, hub and rotor), and from BMI (brake caliper mount, chain sprocket and hub). The tires are currently on the way and should be here tomorrow.

My next task is going to be working on the front end. I will be ordering the steering components soon.

Pics for your enjoyment...

(Rear wheels will be moved inward to assist with steering. I ordered a 40" axle which is a bit too long. I may end up getting a 32" axle instead)

Also, if a mod could move this to the correct section that would be great.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBone For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (08-22-2018), Joe-405 (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Tires are on and finally a rolling chassis...

Tires came from eBay.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:11 PM
2018 Buildoff Entry ! 🤓🤓

Looks great so far. But be advised on those tires. It will literally jerk and follow every crack in the road when you ride it. That’s what I was referring to when I went to the skinny fronts and the turf tires on the rear. And it helps to suck those back ones as close to the frame as you can get them also.

My engine made a lot more power tho so hopefully you won’t see the issues I had with the shifter kart style tires. It looks like yours is stock. Mine makes about 12 or so hp.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-405 View Post
Looks great so far. But be advised on those tires. It will literally jerk and follow every crack in the road when you ride it. Thatís what I was referring to when I went to the skinny fronts and the turf tires on the rear. And it helps to suck those back ones as close to the frame as you can get them also.

My engine made a lot more power tho so hopefully you wonít see the issues I had with the shifter kart style tires. It looks like yours is stock. Mine makes about 12 or so hp.
Thank you sir! And thanks again for the tips. I picked those tires up at a killer deal ($70 for all 4, brand new) on eBay, so I figured why not. I will be getting some different tires for it eventually, as I don't plan to only use it on asphalt.

I have the rears sucked in just about as far as they will go without the axle protruding outside of the wheel. I ordered a 40" axle for the kart, which I think is a bit too long. I will eventually get a 32" axle for it and bring them in a little more.

Yes, just a stock Predator 212. Only plan on doing intake and exhaust on it, so nothing crazy. I will let update with how it handles once it is complete. Hopefully within the next month. Plans are to get it powder coated charcoal gray.

I do have a question for you though... I am assuming you ran the same frame. Did you have to move the engine mount over or buy an adjustable plate? I will be running a TAV2 and am worried the engine sits too far over towards the drivers side. I threw a clutch on there and it will not work, as it protrudes too far, so the rear axle sprocket cannot line up with it.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:54 AM
2018 Buildoff Entry ! 🤓🤓

I made a square tube riser below the engine. Think I raised it 2”. The engine mounting plate is in the original spot that Rick welds them at.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I made a square tube riser below the engine. Think I raised it 2Ē. The engine mounting plate is in the original spot that Rick welds them at.
Okay thanks. I will just wait until I receive my TQ converter (CVT) to see if my clearance is good enough. If not, an adjustable plate would be easy enough to install.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Just figured I would update this thread with the finished results. I don't think there was a ton of interest, but this build may help somebody in the future. I tried to take very detailed pics, as I was not able to find many of them during my build process to help me out (a picture is worth a thousand words). Also was never able to get a mod to move this to the Build Off section, but no big deal. Looking at the competition over there, I doubt I would have had a chance

I ended up powder coating it Steel Gray Pearlescent 80%. I am very happy with how it came out. I am also pondering the idea of building a trailer for it (in the same color), which would house a charcoal gray Yeti ice chest.

As it sits right now, I am hitting a top speed of about 26-27mph at 3640 RPMs with a 12/60 tooth sprocket combo. I will likely un-governor this thing as some point to get a bit more speed. However, 27mph on this little thing feels pretty wicked!

Anyway, here are the pics. Please feel free to ask questions if you have them...

ezcome-ezgo (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Senor Member

Nice job, it looks slick with those wheels. Your pics were good too. There is a lot of readers that don't comment much, but I'm sure many appreciate you posting your project.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:46 PM

You can't drink and drive home from the bar when you are at the bar the whole way home .

Sick bar stool kart though. Even looks to have a pretty low CG for a bar-kart so it should be pretty safe. Wouldn't want to go that fast even though the T/C should have no problem whipping your *** to the bar and back!

Just a quick suggestion, it looks like your legs will be towards the back. I'd run the header down the side and out the back of the kart to prevent your legs from getting burned.

Something like this, exhaust pipe in orange, and yes the tailpiece is part of my design.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Nice job, it looks slick with those wheels. Your pics were good too. There is a lot of readers that don't comment much, but I'm sure many appreciate you posting your project.
Thank you sir! Iím sure you are correct, I myself lurked for a while before posting anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpdingo View Post
You can't drink and drive home from the bar when you are at the bar the whole way home .

Sick bar stool kart though. Even looks to have a pretty low CG for a bar-kart so it should be pretty safe. Wouldn't want to go that fast even though the T/C should have no problem whipping your *** to the bar and back!

Just a quick suggestion, it looks like your legs will be towards the back. I'd run the header down the side and out the back of the kart to prevent your legs from getting burned.

Something like this, exhaust pipe in orange, and yes the tailpiece is part of my design.

Yes, about as low of a center of gravity as I could get. So itís about as safe as it will get, but you definitely donít want to take a turn at any sort of speed above ďslowĒ. It will want to throw you overboard. And yes, youíre right, with the TQ converter you gotta be careful with the throttle. Blip it too hard and the front end is up.

Legs are actually toward the front. I put that bar across (on top of) the front axle to rest feet on. It is the most comfortable that way, and it keeps you away from all of the moving parts around the engine.

I will eventually probably do exhaust. I just wanted a quiet sleeper I could cruise around in without drawing a bunch of unwanted attention. The kart itself gets enough attention lol.
ezcome-ezgo (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 12:48 AM

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,512 Posts

This was an awesome build!!! You did a great job.

I have no idea how us mods missed sending this thread to the build section. I do apologize. I have moved it over to the right section now. Next time maybe drop us a PM. We sometimes get busy and don't notice all the threads
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Joe-405 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-18-2018, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
This was an awesome build!!! You did a great job.

I have no idea how us mods missed sending this thread to the build section. I do apologize. I have moved it over to the right section now. Next time maybe drop us a PM. We sometimes get busy and don't notice all the threads
Thank you sir! I do appreciate it.

Totally understandable, and I apologize for not reaching out. Will note that for future reference.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:11 PM
2018 Buildoff Entry ! 🤓🤓

Nice and simple. Good job. Let us know if it follows the road cracks or not. I’m curious cause mine sure did with shifter kart style tires.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Nice and simple. Good job. Let us know if it follows the road cracks or not. Iím curious cause mine sure did with shifter kart style tires.
Thanks! And thanks again for answering the questions I had about it.

At high speeds, it is definitely touchy and likes to follow the road lines. At low to moderate speed, it really isn't too bad.
Joe-405 (09-19-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 01:36 AM

I have uploaded a video walk-around of the kart if anyone is interested. Check it out here: https://youtu.be/H0FTRkqqY4M
landuse (10-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:10 AM

Thanked 3,085 Times in 2,512 Posts

Very slick!!! You did a great job on this build. One of the cleaner and more professional ones I've seen