Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Photo Gallery & Project Log

Notices

Old 05-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Default 460 Carter Talon Build

Hey guys

This is my first cart build. I grabbed a Talon 150 for $300 with a set of 27” outlaws on polaris rims. It included a 500cc engine out of a buell blaster. After doing some measuring it would have been too tall for what i was trying to do. So i sold it, for $300, and used that to grab a Vegas Carts 460 kit. I grabbed a CVT transmission on the cheap and have it all clearanced and mounted.

So far ive built the engine, engine cradle with mounting plate, relocated the gas tank and cargo rack.

I still have to figure out gearing, run throttle cable and put the brakes back together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

That thing is gonna be ear splitting with that header.
Just look at what happened with the built 420 in the Carsandcameras' ATV:
Old 06-09-2019, 04:52 PM

I did some painting and am officially over the hump.

Ill need to do a few corrections to make like moving the mounting plate a few inches and creating some new gussets.

Im trying to recycle as much as i can, so i opted to deep clean and reuse the stock seat belts. I removed the stock wiring harness and lights. Ill add my own later.

I love the look of the 27” tires all around but i think im going to have to go down to 24” or 25” on the fronts for more turning radius. I could add a few inches to the control arms but i dont want the front and rear tires to be any more out of square.

I relocated the gas tank and am happy with how much room the swing arm has for travel.

Im having a challenging time getting this old tank clean. It was left open in the elements for ten years. Ive filled it with muriatic acid and removed a good amount of rust, but the gunk stayed.

I stepped up to a 50/50 solution of sulfuric acid- a lot of the gunk is still there!

Im going to try sand blasting the inside of the tank. If it doesn’t work ill break down and buy a replacement.

Ive also settled on a 10t drive sprocket and 60t axle sprocket. With the 22hp 460 im hoping this will be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk