Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Electric Projects

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 07:53 AM

Default Very basic and probably dumb electrical question

I am posting here separate from my carter build thread because this is not specific to the carter and will apply to other kart projects.

All the green wires on the harness are grounds. Most of them are connected together or grounded to the frame.
My question is, are the black wires grounds also? I have one that connects to the neg battery terminal, and a i can see in the wiring diagram all the black wires are connected to each other at some point. So i should be able to ground them to the frame or the neg battery terminal correct?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:39 AM

I cant say for sure whether your black wires are grounds, but that is typical for DC applications. The frame and the negative terminal of the battery need to be connected somewhere. all grounds or returns must be connected back to the negative terminal of the battery either by direct wire or via the frame that is also connected to the negative terminal. Each circuit must be complete from positive terminal to negative terminal of the battery. Circuits from the generator may be different, but should only power the coil, or charge the battery.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:19 AM

There is an 8 ga. Black wire that connects to the negative terminal. It just never says in the wiring diagram that the wire to the neg terminal is black. I also notice the green wires are grounds and all connected together. So i will make sure they are all grounded and see if the cheap wiring harness at least followed that one basic wire color standard
Old 02-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Can you post pictures of the kart wiring and the wiring diagram? That'll give us more what to go off of.