Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:46 AM
Mistress of Destruction

Default A Not-So-Signifigantly Stupid Conversation

So the age old topic presents itself again:

Carb cleaner or Brake Parts Cleaner as the all around ultimate shop neat freak's best friend? My vote goes towards Brake Parts Cleaner since in satisfies my inner Jew and it usually has 3 fl oz. more per can. Yes it smells a lot worse but it doesn't explode at the slightest spark. Next best thing would be Zep 505 on a pressurized aerosol sprayer, but that turns your skin to slow cooked roast beef after the first few ours.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:17 AM

Thanked 4,258 Times in 3,197 Posts

I'd say it depends on the job tbh..

There are chemicals I wouldn't want anywhere near certain parts (parts I intend to clean that is)
As I wouldn't take a wirebrush to clean my glasses just because it's quicker than that microfibre cloth

So yeah.. the cheaper option is most often something to take into consideration,
but the safer option is certainly the one to pick if you want your "whatever you're cleaning" to be in good working condition afterwards

'sid
Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymogul View Post
So the age old topic presents itself again:

Carb cleaner or Brake Parts Cleaner as the all around ultimate shop neat freak's best friend? My vote goes towards Brake Parts Cleaner since in satisfies my inner Jew and it usually has 3 fl oz. more per can. Yes it smells a lot worse but it doesn't explode at the slightest spark. Next best thing would be Zep 505 on a pressurized aerosol sprayer, but that turns your skin to slow cooked roast beef after the first few ours.
Depends what you are using it for. Carb cleaner contains acetone and xylol which will turn most paints and plastic into goo, and the vapor is highly flammable.

Brake cleaner, is an ABSOLUTE no-go for cleaning up parts for weld prep. Exposure to the UV and the inert gas converts chlorinated chemicals into Phosgene gas. One little whiff can put you in the hospital, and a big whiff will put you 6 feet under.

I like carb cleaner for cleaning up steel for paint and welding. It gets the oils and even the printed Mill stamp off with ease. For general purpose cleaning and degreasing, I like Chemtronics citrus degreaser. It's not the cheapest stuff out there, but it works AMAZINGLY well. The can sprays with a good force like carb cleaner or brake cleaner, and not a wimpy mist like spray paint. Plus it stays wet long enough to actually work on grease instead of evaporating off in seconds.
The Following User Says Thank You to anickode For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Winchmaster 5000

I clean my steel with trisodiumphosphate concentrate (TSP) that you can buy at Home Depot or Ace Hardware, I'm skeptical of carb cleaner stripping mill scale but I'm absolutely going to try it now
Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 AM

Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,449 Posts

Carb cleaner does clean steel well....that is the chlorinated stuff does well...
They also produce a non-chlorinated variant I've seen lately... But I don't use it enought to really know..
That's more of an aluminum and tig weldor thing... Keeping things really clean...
Old 03-02-2018, 06:47 AM

Thanked 4,258 Times in 3,197 Posts

huh? for painting I usually use acetone to clean metal parts.. (wiping not spraying)
it flashes off in nearly an instant (let's say within seconds) sooo I'd say it'd be even safe enough for welding, and it surely degreases stuff

Also: cheeeeeaaaaaap

'sid
Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanotorious View Post
I clean my steel with trisodiumphosphate concentrate (TSP) that you can buy at Home Depot or Ace Hardware, I'm skeptical of carb cleaner stripping mill scale but I'm absolutely going to try it now
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Carb cleaner does clean steel well....that is the chlorinated stuff does well...
They also produce a non-chlorinated variant I've seen lately... But I don't use it enought to really know..
That's more of an aluminum and tig weldor thing... Keeping things really clean...
I said the Mill STAMP, not Mill SCALE. Mill stamps on tubing products are usually a very persistent ink that will bleed through paint of you try to simply cover it. (Like sharpie on a wall)

Carburetor cleaners are acetone/xylol based. No chlorinated/non-chlorinated there.

Brake cleaners come in chlorinated and non-chlorinated varieties. I don't risk either one near welds, regardless of the welding process. It's not just TIG that will do it, but meticulous cleaning is most commonly associated with TIG.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:10 AM

Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,449 Posts

I understood the printed stamp or paint identifying/lot number marks...
Old 03-04-2018, 08:46 AM
Winchmaster 5000

lolz, I misread that, so I did try it yesterday while cleaning some tube I'm working with, the carb cleaner made short work of the grease, and did nothing to remove mill SCALE on some flat stock I have- in case you were curious...
Old 03-30-2018, 05:19 PM

I use brake cleaner for general degreasing because it's cheaper. In some cases it's the same (or nearly the same) stuff that's in the more expensive carb cleaner can anyway. Autozone, I'm looking at you. It's mostly heptane, acetone, alcohol, etc. (pure heptane is gross BTW, especially when burned. It also has an octane rating of zero.)

I use carb cleaner.....pretty much never. If a carb needs to be cleaned, it needs to come off and come apart. If it needs to come apart, I'm going to soak parts in something a lot less expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Brake cleaner, is an ABSOLUTE no-go for cleaning up parts for weld prep. Exposure to the UV and the inert gas converts chlorinated chemicals into Phosgene gas. One little whiff can put you in the hospital, and a big whiff will put you 6 feet under.
I wouldn't know where to get chlorinated brake cleaner; haven't seen it in CA for a few decades.

I use acetone for weld prep anyway. It works well and isn't as toxic as many other chemical solvents. And it doesn't do anything scary in the presence of arc plasma except catch fire.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ShelbyClone View Post
I use brake cleaner for general degreasing because it's cheaper. In some cases it's the same (or nearly the same) stuff that's in the more expensive carb cleaner can anyway. Autozone, I'm looking at you. It's mostly heptane, acetone, alcohol, etc. (pure heptane is gross BTW, especially when burned. It also has an octane rating of zero.)

I use carb cleaner.....pretty much never. If a carb needs to be cleaned, it needs to come off and come apart. If it needs to come apart, I'm going to soak parts in something a lot less expensive.

I wouldn't know where to get chlorinated brake cleaner; haven't seen it in CA for a few decades.

I use acetone for weld prep anyway. It works well and isn't as toxic as many other chemical solvents. And it doesn't do anything scary in the presence of arc plasma except catch fire.
Well everything gives you cancer in California...

Some judge just ruled that prepared coffee (like coffee shops, restaurants, etc) in california must now carry a warning label that says coffee has not been unequivocally ruled out as a possible carcinogen.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anickode View Post
Well everything gives you cancer in California...

Some judge just ruled that prepared coffee (like coffee shops, restaurants, etc) in california must now carry a warning label that says coffee has not been unequivocally ruled out as a possible carcinogen.
California: by(buy) the nuts, for the nuts.