Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 10:51 AM
Smashin Pedals and Pizza!

Default What's up from the Racing Capital of the World

New here to the forum. My friends have built a mx track and other than watching alot of it I dont know much about it. I've raced a ton of go karts though over the years and predominantly always on concrete so I'm looking to try something new. I've just acquired a Kandi gkm-200 Viper and I'm looking to mod it out extensively to be an all around weekend toy. I'll be doing a build thread but not for a few months as I'd like to get most of the parts in the garage before I start the build. Till then I'll be searching threads and looking for ideas and knowledge on this model and engine swaps. If anyone has and advice on this model I'll gladly listen to all of it. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
KD-200GKM-2A_White_large.jpg  
Old 01-19-2020, 02:15 PM

From what I've heard with Chinese e Hines like that, is that they seem to be quite underpowered for the task at hand. What kind of riding? Assuming ATV trails and what not. So you're going to want speed and torque. I'd look for used electric start ATVs with chain drive, dual sport motorcycles, or of you want, sled engines. With sled engines you want a minimum of 8:1 gear ratio to keep the belt life long, as well as a belt guard to keep debris out.

List of engines:

Yamaha Phazer 500
Ninja 250 and up
GSXR 250-600
CBR 600
Raptor 350-660
Old 01-19-2020, 02:20 PM
Aka a kenbar

Im from indy aswell! Im known on letgo and offerup as the kid who buys and sells yard karts and mini bikes!
Old 01-19-2020, 03:20 PM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Replace basically anything and everything on that buggy with high performance parts! Those Chinese buggies are unbelievably unreliable.

I've never been to Indy, but Texas Motor Speedway is AWESOME! Plus, ya know, it's got the biggest screen anywhere!!(everything's bigger in Texas!)
Old 01-20-2020, 07:52 AM

I'd love to get to Texas speedway one day. Definitely a bucket list race is like to attend one day. Be sure to come to indy one year cause it's a thrill of that green flag dropping is second to none for a race fan. Back to the buggy though, yes I'm planning on changing out just about everything to the point I should of probably built one from scratch. Didn't know that was going to be my plan until I sat in it the first time and decided their was alot I didn't like being that I'm 6'3" lol. I was looking at predator 420cc motors and aftermarket stage kits but I want something I can run reliable all day on trails and tracks without an issue. Looking here for knowledge due to I'm knew to the game basically.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:05 AM

Basically, running anything modified comes with the asterisks of may not run a long time reliably. This is why I suggested a motorcycle engine. Bit more power than an industrial engine and you can go faster if needed.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:20 AM

I've been looking into sport bike engines for it because the power and pull they produce for something this small is very enticing my main problem with that is sound. I have a buddy that put one in a atv and everytime he went screaming by in the woods it just sounded out of place. Incredible build but to me it was almost over kill for trail riding being that we live in indiana. Not alot of room to really open it up and get through the gears. Alot of 1 gear, second gear, brakes, tree, 1st gear again type riding. We have alot of race tracks in are state but wide open trails we are limited on as far as being flat out. I've considered raptor motors cause power and torque are a definite must but all out speed I can due without because of location. I'm looking for something that will pull hard till about 65 mph and still have reverse.