Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 04-24-2019, 07:24 PM

Default Trouble with Predator 420cc Electric Start Wiring/KillSwitch

Hi everyone, It's been 5 years since I've made much progress on my motorized picnic table project. I'm in college now and have the drive and time to finally finish and ride this monster of a project. Only a few things to finish up such as the brake lines, 1 broken pitman arm, and adding the wood for the table and benches.

Today I finished the throttle assembly and fired the table up for the first time in years. I though I wired the electric start correctly but even in the "off" key position the engine was still running. I've gone through all the videos and threads I can but still cannot find what I'm doing wrong. I'll attach pictures of what I've hooked up.

The electric starter has 4 wires. Black/white, black, white, brown.

Engine has 5 wires. Charging coil, oil alert, coil ground kill, and the +, - terminals on the starter.

I've connected the coil ground kill and oil alert wires to the solid black wire. Charging coil to the brown wire. + terminal to the black/white and - to the white.(I've also switched the +, - around) let me know where i goofed if you can..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0554.jpg   IMG_0555.jpg  

Old 04-24-2019, 07:45 PM

Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,435 Posts

Well if everything is hooked up as it should... the kill switch can be easy as unplugging the low oil switch from the block, and hooking a momentary push button switch inline to ground with that wire from the relay.
Put that as a remote kill where you need it...

Oh I like the use of the wago clips...
Those things are a fricken cool invention..
Arbo74 (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:00 PM

I'd like to have the ignition key as the kill switch. Its how it originally came out of the box I believe

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Think I just found out my problem. The electric starter is grounded to it's metal casing.. which is installed in my wooden control panel... not grounded. I'll re-wire and ground it to the frame, and fire it up tomorrow so I don't **** the neighbors off
Old 04-25-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbo74 View Post
I'd like to have the ignition key as the kill switch. Its how it originally came out of the box I believe

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Think I just found out my problem. The electric starter is grounded to it's metal casing.. which is installed in my wooden control panel... not grounded. I'll re-wire and ground it to the frame, and fire it up tomorrow so I don't **** the neighbors off
Yep that's it.

I simply relocated that entire control box with key switch/circuit breaker to the front of Go kart by extending the wires. When I was toying with it noticed that if the ground wire from the key swtich isnt actually grounded it wont kill the engine when you go to off, so important to make sure its a nice solid ground that wont come loose on you in an emergency.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM

I'm glad you all got this figured out. I too relocated the ignition off my 420 predator when I realized I couldn't get the thing to shut off. Essentially, you have to take the yellow low oil level wire and touch it to ground. That's why a lot of people just use a kill switch. I too prefer to have the kill switch be the off position of the key. Lucky, it's as simple as bolting the black wire to a ground.

Post some pics of this table!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Default Progress on the GoTable

Keep in mind I designed this I was around 15...
I would make a bunch of changes I were to rebuild this today.
I need to install a brake pedal, connect the lines, install the new 3/8 pitman arms, add the benches and the table, sand, paint, electronics, and finally ride it after years of trial and error..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0563.jpg   IMG_0562.jpg  

IMG_0560.jpg  
Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 PM

Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,435 Posts

I would say do both kill switches, a remote on the steering wheel and the other on the control panel....
The wheel mounted on is good for when it needs to stop... thats a big machine... has some weight....
If Something getting out of hand... itll need it....
Old 04-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Sheesh, that thing REALLY needs a 420!
Severely overbuilt.
But yeah, you designed it when you were 15, I get it. Back when I was thinking about building my own kart frame, the idea was also severely overbuilt.