Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:19 PM

Default 40 Series backing plate alignment

I know one of the new products that is becoming increasingly popular is the 40 series tc with backing plate kit originally made by gopowersports. Now I see other companies are jumping on the bandwagon on eBay. But one of the major drawbacks I see with this setup (apart from $$$) is the belt alignment issue generated by mounting the driven outboard. This throws the alignment off by almost an inch during shift out.

But, one way I thought of that might solve this would be to mount the drive clutch backwards. This way both clutches now shift in the same direction and belt alignment should be okay. Just wanted to run this by you guys and see if Iím missing something here. It just seems like a simple solution and Iím curious why it hasnít been thought of. Here is a picture I found showing what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
21746750-EA68-4B90-BE7A-35D46DAAEF43.jpg  
Old 04-20-2019, 10:41 PM

I'm interested in this idea. I hate how I paid over $300 for my 40 series and it's going to rob me of power and chew through belts as a result. here is a video i took showing how much the thing moves from side to side.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircomet View Post
I know one of the new products that is becoming increasingly popular is the 40 series tc with backing plate kit originally made by gopowersports. Now I see other companies are jumping on the bandwagon on eBay. But one of the major drawbacks I see with this setup (apart from $$$) is the belt alignment issue generated by mounting the driven outboard. This throws the alignment off by almost an inch during shift out.

But, one way I thought of that might solve this would be to mount the drive clutch backwards. This way both clutches now shift in the same direction and belt alignment should be okay. Just wanted to run this by you guys and see if Iím missing something here. It just seems like a simple solution and Iím curious why it hasnít been thought of. Here is a picture I found showing what I mean.
I say by all means give it a try. I don't know if all these Comet and replica's and copies have the same dimensions so it is up to the installer to determine if it will mount properly backwards. It doesn't matter for user function.

The obvious best fit on a symmetrical CVT is having the pulley's fixed sheaves on opposite sides of the belt, one way or the other. The backplate gets in the way when mounting the driven pulley with the movable sheave inboard. I believe that is why the manufacture's use a asymmetrical design for the 30 series incorporating the backplate. That allows both pulley fixed sheaves to be inboard. Problem is the belt grip has to be less than that of a symmetrical design, which would also limit the power transmission of that design.

Also, don't underestimate the benefits of having a backplate. It alleviates installation difficulties such as center-to-center dimensions, belt length, pulley parallelism, pulley lateral alignment. All that is done for you.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaker View Post
don't underestimate the benefits of having a backplate. It alleviates installation difficulties such as center-to-center dimensions, belt length, pulley parallelism, pulley lateral alignment. All that is done for you.
You have a point there. That is the sole reason I initially opted to go for a 40 series with the backplate. I still believe it's possible however to mount the two pulleys correctly and utilize a back plate. I intend to give it a try soon.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:10 PM

OK guys, question. Can I have the drive pulley mounded reverse with appropriate spring?
Old 05-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Thanked 4,370 Times in 3,288 Posts

40 series driver pulleys do not care which direction they spin in order to engage the clutch or contract the sheaves..
it'll work as well CW as it would CCW

'sid
Old 05-13-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsid View Post
it'll work as well CW as it would CCW

'sid
Um... What? CW? CCW??? Clockwise Wound and Counter Clockwise Wound?
Old 05-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Uhmm,
CW= ClockWise
CCW= CounterClockWise
Old 05-14-2019, 06:14 AM

Can confirm the driver can be mounted either way but it depends on the kit you got. The picture in original post shows the kit where driver must be mounted inboard.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:02 PM

Turn the clutch on the motor around that will solve your problem. The moving plates work opposite of each other to keep belt centered.
Closed Thread