Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Northern go kart wheels

How is the quality of these wheels? I see they're only rated at 20 mph which is kinda scary.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1215_200331215

I was also looking at these wheels at Harbor Freight tool, for the front. The price is right but I'm afraid the brarings won't hold up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40729

Last edited by loneagle; 05-01-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 AM

I would look at wheels like the ones shown here (I think they have these at Northern too). They come in either live-axle or fixed axle versions and sizes of 4, 5, and 6 inches:
http://www.mfgsupply.com/GoMiniWheel...on_id=tQeE8mzn
The Following User Says Thank You to Lousailor For This Useful Post:
loneagle (05-02-2007)
Old 05-01-2007, 11:04 AM

I have never bought the tires and wheels from either place but I think that the ones from Northern would work ok unless you are going to be constantly moving at a speed of 20 mph or faster (like on the interstate or something) they'll probably work fine. I agree with your thinking about the wheels from H.F. though. They probably won't work well but if they go on the front of your kart and don't work your only out what? $16.00. You might find that they work fine .....who knows unless you try. If they work ok post your findings here.
The Following User Says Thank You to timbo For This Useful Post:
loneagle (05-02-2007)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I banned myself

I bought a set of those from H.F. a while ago, but haven't tried them out yet. they don't seem "too" bad but I guess we'll see how they work out. they have bearings on both sides. I'm thinking of using them up in the front as well and using some wider tires in the back.
The Following User Says Thank You to kibble For This Useful Post:
loneagle (05-02-2007)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 428 Posts

the harbor freight wheels are trash, and the rubber wears out immediately. Total waste of money. The NT wheels are made for go karts, and are probably fine above 20 MPH, so long as you replace the bearings with high-speed bearings. The wheel itself is just a split steel rim, there's nothing special abotu it. it's the bearings that will burn up at high speed.

these are the bearings that come in them: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1468_200331468

and that's why it's rated at that. you can buy better bearings from MFG supply or BMI.
The Following User Says Thank You to robertdjung For This Useful Post:
loneagle (05-02-2007)
Old 05-04-2007, 06:28 PM

Yeah, I agree. Go with the Northern Tool wheels, just switch the bearings out. Those wheels are alot like the ones I'm using on my mini chopper. They're great.
While we're on the subject of wheels I have yet another question. From my understanding, the larger your wheels are, (Within reason.) the faster you go since the circumferance is larger than other wheels with smaller diameters. If that's true, why do I see alot of racing carts that have "tiny" wheels? Is it because they're engines are huge and they need to have high revs?
I also have some bad news. the engine from the dumphas stopped working. it was working a while ago, but then it stopped running. I checked in the tank, and it as empty. So I put some gas and oil into it, primed and started it without a hitch. I come back an hour later, try it again, and nothing happens. I know it doesn't need a new filter, since it doesn't use one.
Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Wheel diameters

The larger the diameter, the faster your top end speed, but the more HP needed to get started. This is why cars have gears. Racing carts operate at high RPMs, but are limited HP, so the smaller wheels/tires allow for faster acceleration out of turns, which is where you make your time.
Closed Thread