Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:37 PM

Default go kart steering

Hi, I am new to this site and I hope this topics has not been talked to death so here it goes. I just finished a go kart project and everthing turned out pretty well. I took it for its first ride and noticed the steering is WAY too touchy. It is a simple cart and I used regular go kart steering parts. (two spindles, tie rods ect.) I was wondering how I could tame this steering to be able to enjoy riding it. Would lengthing the spindle arms make things any better? Any help would be great.
Thanks.....Vince
Old 03-29-2007, 12:27 AM
I banned myself

If you could post some pics of what the steering mechanism looks like that would be great so we could get an idea of what you're working with. My guess is that there's too much of an angle somewhere on the rod attached to the steering wheel.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Will do pics

I will do that asap. This evening most likely. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 AM

so do you have a steering shaft, with a dropped or raised bar/plate that the tie rods hook to. thats the "simplest" steering system.

if you lengthen the raised bar/plate it will be more touchy, shortening it wil be less touchy, but will also make turning radius alot worse....

if you really want better steering, you'll probably have to get some kind of steering box/rack and pinion deal.

I'd say, if you have room put a bigger steering wheel on it. then you will have to move it a little further to get the same effect. look for a lawnmower junkyard or something, most can be adapted if the person wants to bad enough.
Closed Thread