Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:37 PM
I banned myself

Default 2 Engines

There was a locked thread from a few months ago about having a go kart with two engines. Here's a pic from an old book where they show 2 engines on one kart but it seems like one would be used for forward and the other for reverse, unless one of the engines was modified in some way. I think it would be kind of a waste to use one for each direction.
Attached Thumbnails
2 engine.jpg  
Old 03-14-2007, 08:52 PM

I would say, if its old enough, you can run it backwards.... but why not just mount two engines the same way (like two chainsaw engines) or two 4hp 2 stroke commercial weedeater engines.... you could wind those out farther than a 4 stroke in theory... and you can get them for cheap...

I would use a solid axle so you don't get drive steer (like driving with a flat rear tire) if the motors aren't synched up perfectly.

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UI...atname=engines

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UI...atname=engines

they build two engine race carts, so its been done... something like those would be perfect if you were a smaller frame person/teenager looking for a cart you could use a taller gearing for more top speed or lower for gobs of torque....

you could also put each engine on centrifugal clutches, and make one really low geared for climbing (4hp will go a long way with good gearing) and one with much taller gearing... have two safely seperated throttle peddles (wouldn't want to push both at same time) and you have top end and hill climbing low end.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 PM

kibble, those are clinton 2cycles on that kart and one engine runs backwards, so that when they are installed the way they are they run both forward. usualy the gearing is the same for both engines. i have a restored 1963 kart with dual McCulloch 2cycles. both my engines run the same direction, so both engines are mounted the same. they have oil filled clutches that slip to 8000 r.p.m. the engines will wind up about 13000r.p.m. and make about 12 to 15 h.p. each.--phil
Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 AM
I banned myself

Ahh, see I thought that that's what they'd do, make one run backwards but, it didn't say anything about that in the book other than that it's a class C kart.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:09 PM

yeah, they made those engines in either right or left hand rotation. they only made about 3 h.p. unless modified.-phil
Closed Thread