Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:12 PM

Default Spindle question

I am redoing or fixing the existing steering components on my kids Carter Super Wheel Kart. After inspecting the spindles, they seemed loose on their respective brackets. I took them apart and was able to take some measurement along with assess what parts where there/missing. The axle its self is 5/8-4"long and the mount holes on the brackets are 1/2" along with a 1/2" kingpin. There was no nylon bushing of any sort there and according to the parts breakdown it doesn't list them. Should there be any nylon bushing in between the spindle and mount bracket? Also there was an old bearing used as a wheel spacer on the axle itself and after a few trips in the yard the wheel came off because there was not enough threads left to properly secure the wheel on. That is how I found the old bearing! I have looked at a few kits online and they all show 5/8" kits with nylon bushings but I can't seem to find any 1/2" kits. Am I doing something wrong with the measurements? Any help or inputs would be great.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM

Check McMaster-Carr's page. They have just about everything so you probably can find something.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj View Post
Check McMaster-Carr's page. They have just about everything so you probably can find something.
Is that to find the nylon bushing? I know I can get nylon washers from the local hardware store and possible the bushings. Im just not sure if I need them.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,954 Times in 2,300 Posts

How does a new 1/2" bolt fit in the spindle? If it fits fairly snug there should be no need for a bushing- just grease. If the holes in the frame are sloppy a couple of tack welds at 90 to each other ground back down until the bolt just fits should fix that. Replace that bearing with a 5/8" washer. Having a nylon washer from factory is highly unlikely. It's not a bad idea though. You could even use a steel one and tack it to the frame if you have/can make room for it. By putting the bolt in and pushing sideways you could also fix any slop in the frame hole as well.

Edit: I just bought new kingpin bolts. Home Depot didn't have any with shoulders but I found them at Lowe's.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM

Go to wheelchairparts.com, p/n 119-100. Nylon flanged bushing 5/8" od x 1/2" id, 3/4" flange dia. You'll have to run a 5/8" drill through your spindle hole to install it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jandj For This Useful Post:
firemanjim (01-15-2014)
Closed Thread