Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM

Default Questions on racing kart

I have a few questions about my racing go kart frame.

Is there supposed to be a cut in the frame in front of the motor mount area as shown in the first two pics.

Is it normal for the master cylinder mounting bracket to be far back on the frame closer to the caliper than to the brake pedal? See picture 3 and 4.

Where can i buy the seat bar that goes through the 2 holes in the last picture and what are the bars called.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05268.jpg   DSC05267.jpg  

DSC05264.jpg   DSC05280.jpg  

DSC05279.jpg  
Old 01-02-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,676 Posts

Appreciate the pics but, they're way too dark to make out any detail...

To answer your questions:
-No, the frame bars should all be solid, uncut. The only possible explanation I can think of is the PO started to mod the frame & changed their mind...
-With a hydraulic brake setup, it's best to have the hose as short as possible to prevent loss of pressure; a rod or cable is then used to connect the master to the pedal.

As for the seat bars, sorry but, you'll have to wait for someone a bit more local to answer that one
Old 01-02-2014, 08:20 PM

Yeah I know the pics are dark. My kart frame is in the attic very hard to get light up there.
Do you know what the seat bars that go through the holes are called? I couldn't find the name of it anywhere.

Isn't the master cylinder bracket supposed to be aligned straight with the brake pedal?

Is there any way to fix the cut in the frame? Can I weld those two bars together?
Old 01-02-2014, 10:13 PM

The master cylinder doesn't have to be in line with the pedal as long as the linkage rod is bent in such a way it works properly. Many early racing karts used a set-up where the m.cyl. & caliper were mounted on the same bracket at the rear of the kart.
The Following User Says Thank You to jandj For This Useful Post:
TheRacre (01-03-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 11:58 PM

The frame cuts let the frame flex. My older margay that I raced for years cracked in front of the seat where those cuts are. I've seen many with the motor bar not even connected to the man frame similar to how that one is cut.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to bad12jr For This Useful Post:
TheRacre (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM

Thanked 1,160 Times in 961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRacre View Post
I have a few questions about my racing go kart frame.

Is there supposed to be a cut in the frame in front of the motor mount area as shown in the first two pics.

Is it normal for the master cylinder mounting bracket to be far back on the frame closer to the caliper than to the brake pedal? See picture 3 and 4.

Where can i buy the seat bar that goes through the 2 holes in the last picture and what are the bars called.

Thanks!
1) Someone may have cut those frame rails to give additional frame flex, for a lighter weight driver. Some racekart frames even came from the factory with cuts like that, and then had removable clamps similar to this pic, so you could tune the chassis to various track conditions and different weight drivers. (by installing or remove the clamps)

2) Some brands of racekarts (like the Yamaha RC100) had the master cylinder way in the back near to the caliper and used a cable instead of a linkage rod. Some other brands had the master cylinder way up front (like older dino racekarts) with a super short linkage rod. But most brands had a midpoint-mounted master cylinder with like an 18" long linkage rod.

3) Those are usually called "front seat slider mounts". You could weld up your own DIY mounts, or you'll find a couple different brands available at this link: http://www.out2win.com/catalog/seat_acc.html
(I'd suggest you measure the inside diameter of your frames mounts, and the call/email that shop before ordering, to make sure they'll fit...
The Following User Says Thank You to anderkart For This Useful Post:
TheRacre (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the great answers everyone!

I just remembered that i bought an 8" brake rotor. I was wondering if it will fit in the brake caliper or will it be too long? Most brake rotors that i have seen are 6" or 7".

I was thinking about buying these yerf dog brakes:http://www.bmikarts.com/-Hydraulic-Caliper-_p_559.html and http://www.bmikarts.com/Hydraulic-Ma...er-_p_598.html is there any reason NOT to buy them for my kart? will they fit the mounting brackets of a racing kart?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanked 1,160 Times in 961 Posts

I'd guess that BMI caliper wont fit your frames mounting bracket, but you could probably mod it, or weld/bolt on a custom built mounting bracket.
You could design the mounting bracket to locate the caliper so it would fit a larger diameter rotor. (But you'd also want to confirm your rotor it the correct thickness to match whatever caliper you use...)

Are we talking about your Invader Proworks024 kart here?
If so, this shop: http://www.vdm46.com/invader-parts.html should have most any parts you'd need that'd fit correctly and bolt right on.
(If your on a tight budget, ask him if he has any good used parts)
Old 01-16-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad12jr View Post
The frame cuts let the frame flex. My older margay that I raced for years cracked in front of the seat where those cuts are. I've seen many with the motor bar not even connected to the man frame similar to how that one is cut.

that's just stupid.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:16 AM

Thanked 3,462 Times in 2,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketkart View Post
that's just stupid.
Nah, not stupid. It is the best way to allow the frame to flex. These race kart manufacturers have spent millions in R&D, and they would not have come up with something that could potentially case catastrophic failure
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
itsid (01-17-2014), rocketkart (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Nah, not stupid. It is the best way to allow the frame to flex. These race kart manufacturers have spent millions in R&D, and they would not have come up with something that could potentially case catastrophic failure
IDK
Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 PM

If you want i can go take a pic of the phantom nemesis in my basement. There is a cross bar that I can clamp to control flex. Will significantly change the handling of the kart as will bumper mounting.

Closed Thread