Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Multi Passenger vehicle -- need lots of torque

Hey guys, I'm a newbie here and I've looked around a bit but couldn't find any answers to my questions so here I am. I'm wanting to build an art car for Burning Man this year. Contrary to it's name, it's not going to be based on a car. I'd like to use a go-cart set up to keep things simple. But here's the catch...I need lots of torque. Lots and lots of torque. I hope to ferry around six people on flat ground at 5-10 mph. Figure I'll be pushing around about 1500lbs. There will be lots of starting and stopping and random ambleing around.
I know to use a torque converter but I don't know what size gas engine and gearing will do the trick. Any thoughts?
Anybody try the diesel engines available?
Anybody know of a site where I can determine my horsepower/torque needs?
Can anybody help? Anybody?
Thanks loads
Old 02-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 428 Posts

hmmm, i can't wait to see this contraption!!! awesome!

I just hooked my torque convertor up to a 6.5 HP engine. I'll let you know how it works out when i finish the project, might be tomorrow.

I'd say you'll want "balloon" tires, or golf cart tires front and back, a live axle in the back, a torque convertor, and maybe, just maybe, a reducer jack shaft.

I say this because you'll be geared for top end with a traditional setup. 10-13 teeth on the torque output, and then 60-72 teeth on the back end sprocket. That will give you a top end of 30-60 MPH.

Put a reducer on and get killer torque is what I'd do. And then you can take the jackshaft off / disable it and haul *** across the desert.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 PM

Please let me know how the 6.5 works. That would be a very economical engine for me to use. Keep me updated. Your other advice has been added to my ever-growing list.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:35 AM

hum i thin your need alot more tork my mini bike has a 2hp probs mor but that what it says and a 12 on the clutch and a 72 on the wheel and it wont get up some hils ant the top speed is about 18MPH.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:42 PM

I've been looking around for parts and whatnot for my creation and it's looking to get expensive. Has anybody bought anything from www.zjig.com? I found a cheap 110 cc ATV for $599 new! It's got a lot of usable parts that I could adapt to my project. I'm aware that it only has a centrifugal clutch but I figure I could replace that with a torque converter. Otherwise most of the parts are all there. Am I missing something? http://auctionworks.com/storefrontpr...63&i=197832476
Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 428 Posts

Yeah, a 6.5 and a torque convertor will let you go all day long.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:51 PM

i think that using a torque converter might not be your best option as there is another way to gt 2 speeds for alot less money its called a speed jackshaft and they are sold at bmi karts.com {ill include a direct link at the bottom} from what iv heard these things are strong and smooth shifting much like a torque

heres the link http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/index.p...showFullImage=

hope this helps
Closed Thread