Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 AM

Default Hi from South Africa

Hi. I'm Werner and I'm from Pretoria, South Africa. I'm thinking of building by kids a small battery powered kart. I'm playing with the idea of building it out of 40mm PVC pipe. This might save some valuable weight. Still trying to source the motor and speed controller locally. Will keep you up to date.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 AM
I banned myself

Cool! Welcome!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm Back!

welcome to the sight! There is a pvc pipe that has a metal like outer coating like a tin coating.Which would be much stronger, but only would be good for a young child.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:32 AM

Hi all. After a lot of searching on the net, I finally had a complete change of heart. Have started building a Yard Dawg as found on diyden.net. I'll be using a 5hp Honda motor and 13" tires. It is just too dificult to get hold of everything neccasary for an electric here in S/Africa. Will post pictures soon!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Kartless....

Its too hard to get electric parts everywhere. Please do post pics and welcome to the site. Speaking of gas, what are ya paying down there?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:47 PM

Default South African karting

Welcome to the board - It's winter down there now correct?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTX_fan View Post
Hi all. After a lot of searching on the net, I finally had a complete change of heart. Have started building a Yard Dawg as found on diyden.net. I'll be using a 5hp Honda motor and 13" tires. It is just too dificult to get hold of everything neccasary for an electric here in S/Africa. Will post pictures soon!
Hi, XTX - fellow Saffa, here from George. I started out with the same idea then had to abandon due to cost.

Not really - I could have imported 2 powerful DC electric motors cheep cheep directly from China but picked up 4 horisontal motors for the same price instead.

Contact jannie@grogro.co.za for clutches - he's a Comet reseller and very nice to deal with. The TAV's are very expensive though - that money could feed an Ethiopian family for a year.

If you can hook me up with a supplier for wheels - I've contacted Ed Murray Racing for wheels but they're useless.

Cheers mate and send pics.
The Following User Says Thank You to fluxcored For This Useful Post:
XTX_fan (08-20-2008)
Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 AM

Walter. Yea its nearing the end of our winter - about 23 Celcius daily. Thats why Im eager to get the cart finished - long summer ahead.

fluxcored: Have a look a http://www.dominatorspares.co.za/ They have quite a selection of wheels etc. I haven't bought my wheels yet, but they answered my email promptly - which is a good sign. I know about grogro, but their website seems to be down the last few weeks - luckly I saved their address before it went down - its only a few kilometers from me. Im just looking for an excuse to pop in there and see what goodies they have.
The Following User Says Thank You to XTX_fan For This Useful Post:
fluxcored (08-20-2008)
Closed Thread