Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Default shuld i bother compleating my mini bike ?

i keep getting in to troble with the law with my bike i dont ride it on the streets but im still getting problems with pepole reporting me sayimg im using it in the street i use it in my frends horse filed its empty at the moment ant they turnd up saydin i culd get it taken away and it getting crushed i supose its aligal to use it anywher bit what do you lot do ?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 428 Posts

huh? I don't know where you live, but you can do whatever the heck you want to on private property where I'm from.

You probably can't use it on the streets, but you might also look into the law.

Here's the secret about police -- they didn't write the law, and they don't know all the laws in the world. There's simply no way.

As you go through life you need to arm yourself with the facts -- they are your protection.

Anyway, even if someone did call the cops, and you weren't riding on the street, they can't do anything about it unless the police themselves observe you riding on the street (assuming that's illegal).

That's my opinion, anyway. And YES, you should finish your bike!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:33 PM

Default finish it

You should finish it and just watch ur arse around the cops. Know routes and trails around the area to get away in case of emerg!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:10 PM

i think i will finish it but not in a while say in a mounth or 2 yeh its aligal to drive them on the street here i was told i cant even sit on it going down a hill without the engine witch is stupid well i think i better go bed its 5 in the morning
Old 02-11-2007, 06:28 AM

Default no subject

I have been battling with the same thing, I just haven't gotten to the point of almost having iit crushed. I would be putting a gas motor on my bicycle if itr weren't for my stupid Massachusetts laws. Even the electric project I have shown you has been in question. It is kind of a grey area, I am going to call or email my local police department or the environmental police {a part of the state police, they get guns and honda atvs and they ride around on the bike trails, patrols and stuff} I reallu don't know what they do. How old are you, just for the sake of the law. If you are under 16 like I am then you are very limited to electric and private property. But, if you ever want to do like a gasoline powered bicycle or something in the realm of that, I am pretty sure you don't need a motorcycle citation as long as the engine isn't toobig. You gotta be at least 16, though, and the bike can't go too fast or be over 50cc, but you could put a performance pipe on or something. Read the fine print carefully.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 AM

i am 15 and 50cc bikes can shift if you derestrict them eg: file out tha manafold
put a tuned pipe the law are prity tight here im thinking of using the engine in making a larg rc off road car if i can make it cheap
Old 02-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Call the police all you want, but you want to be talking to the DMV too. And quite frankly, I'd expect to have to spend a lot of time on the phone to get a real answer. Don't give up unless they are sure, and they can point you to the ACTUAL LAW.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 AM

i just found out today that it was the person that lives next door to me that reported me, any motor or engin powerd car bike what ever u need a licence insurance and u have to pay tax and it has to pass a mot, so it looks like im on privat land witch is kinda crap, because i the filed we wer using we cant use because pepole have complaned about the noise i ,think ime just going to try to fix it and use it till i can use it anymore becase of the wheels the think about sumthing else.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Administrator

dude! use a sprinkling of periods besides all those commas!

yeah, neighbors sometimes can be a drag, but often if you talk with them they'll be more reasonable.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:20 PM

in short yes you should complete you mini bike and if your neighbour continues to report you it might be a god idea to try to talk to him and work our some kind of median where you can keep using your mini bike and he dosent report you {you could try the barter system and offer to mow his lawn in return} but really the worst that can happen is him say no in which case its probably legal to use it on private property as it is here in canada

p.s. chances are they wont crush it

hope this helps
Closed Thread