Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 PM

Default greetings from Houston with two karts for restoration

I just returned to the go-kart scene after a 25 year break.....now for my 7 year old son. I acquired a Manco Dingo go-kart with a siezed motor and in need of restoration (price was right- free!). Then I "accidentally" acquired a fiberglass formula body for a go-kart (don't know what I am going to do with that yet), and now have a Clark Go-Kart frame to build up as well. That's right two karts for one kid (wish I was that lucky when I was a kid).

I ran across a package deal on a 5 hp Honda motor, 4 hp Honda motor and a 3.5 Briggs and Stratton motor- all three came off of industrial equipment ( cement mixer, water pump and pressure washer) and start on the first pull-3rd for the briggs.

My problem is that none of them have the same size shaft as the original 5hp Briggs that was on the Dingo. The 5 hp Honda has a larger diameter keyed shaft, the 4 hp has a non-keyed shaft of about the same diameter and the 3.5 Briggs has a smaller diameter shaft.

I mounted the 5 hp honda on the Dingo, but ran into a couple problems:
1) the exhaust fires directly into the back of the seat...I guess I will have to make a new exhaust pipe or figure out how to modify the existing one.
2)The comet pulley from the original briggs does not fit the shaft, so I guess I will just get a keyed pulley that fits and run it to the jackshaft. I figured out that I will have to reposition the final drive cog to the other side of the jackshaft and slide the axle gear over in order for everything to line up correctly- the shaft on the Honda motor is shorter in length and will require the pulley to be mounted closer to the engine.

I Plan on mounting the 3.5 hp Briggs on the other kart and probably just selling off the 4 hp Honda to offset the cost of new tires for the Dingo (**** things aren't cheap!) and I have no idea how to make it work with a centrifugal clutch as the shaft is not keyed.

I just sandblasted the Clark Kart and rattle canned it cherry red- looks pretty darn good if I have to say so myself. The floorpan is rusted out and in need of replacement- I am thinking about using diamond plate aluminum. The Clark kart has white rims with slicks on the rear and Harbour Freight had a great deal on replacement white wheels and tires for the front that match (the originals were badly oxidized aluminum and dry rotted tires). I will try to get some pics up asap.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Welcome to the site!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Kartless....

You cant just "get a pulley" those pulleys are special and fit a specialized belt. Go to ahrbor freight/a tool sale and buy a 6.5hp engine for $100-$150.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,023 Times in 427 Posts

welcome to the board! we like to keep this area reserved for "howdy" type posts, and questions in the kart forum, but i'll second kenny's advice on the harbor freight cheap engines!
Closed Thread