Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketkart View Post
I would reset the gap on the coil. I now some of these engine are just slapped to gether not all of them but one of the bolt's on the coil may have came lose. all you need to reset the gap is a 8mm wrench and a business card. use the business card between the coil and flywheel to set the gap.
Agreed...enough spark to poke ya but no visible arc=too much gap @ coil. Talkes two seconds to take off the shroud. Save the gas $$ to HF.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM

it's not a 112 predator engine but it's the same thing to set the gap.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketkart View Post
I would reset the gap on the coil. I now some of these engine are just slapped to gether not all of them but one of the bolt's on the coil may have came lose. all you need to reset the gap is a 8mm wrench and a business card. use the business card between the coil and flywheel to set the gap.
The problem with this, is likelihood. Let's think about this: Inititally, the engine ran. Now, it doesn't. It is suggested the armature air gap is too great... How is this possible? The very moment the mounting screws are loosened, the magnet draws the coil right smack into that magnet, it does not repel it outwards. And believe you me- if the coil was banging off the flywheel, you'd know about it. You can go ahead and check it, but I honestly would be incredibly surprised if that was the issue.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Sprocket For This Useful Post:
rocketkart (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sprocket View Post
The problem with this, is likelihood. Let's think about this: Inititally, the engine ran. Now, it soesn't. It is suggested the armature air gap is too great... How is this possible? The very moment the mounting screws are loosened, the magnet draws the coild right smack into that magnet, it does not repel it outwards. And believe you me- if the coil was banging off the flywheel, you'd know about it. You can go ahead and check it, but I honestly would be incredibly surprised if that was the issue.
at this point I think where all just guessing.lol im not there to see whats going on and what not so.....
Old 01-16-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,693 Posts

I dunno.

While the drive may be inconvenient, I'd be returning it. I am a firm believer in the warranty system. The OP bought and paid for a perfect new engine, and he darn well deserves one. Curiosity may be one thing, but he should not have to troubleshoot and repair a new purchase.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Sprocket For This Useful Post:
firemanjim (01-16-2014), machinist@large (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,676 Posts

Old 01-16-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I dunno.

While the drive may be inconvenient, I'd be returning it. I am a firm believer in the warranty system. The OP bought and paid for a perfect new engine, and he darn well deserves one. Curiosity may be one thing, but he should not have to troubleshoot and repair a new purchase.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I dunno.

Some things from HF I'm willing to gamble on as an experiment (chainsaw chain sharpener; on sale, $20.00). Machine tools and engines don't fall in that category. Don't tear it apart, just take it back. I bought an 8" bench grinder just before Christmas. Got it home, plugged it in, turned it on. Had to hold it down until it stopped because the 6" C-clamps looked like they weren't going to hold it.

Pulled both wheels, tried it again. Ditto. Remounted the wheels, boxed it up, took it back and exchanged it; the only question was what I thought was wrong. They even let me unbox and test the replacement before I took it with me. (The stock wheels are junk, but they'll do 'till I get replacements.)

Moral of the story; if it doesn't work, take it back. They will give you a new one if you haven't with it (at least not obviously). The more you tear into it, the more likely they WON'T warranty it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:26 PM

Well I checked the compression....kinda. Either my compression gauge has a leak or the motor has no compression. Both are a likely problem since my gauges hose isn't in the best shape. I will swing by the store on my way to my part time job so I can test it there. I didn't bother with a wet test.

But even with no compression I don't think that would have any effect on the spark.

I am going to take it back either way. But it is a curious thing. I'm not going to dig to deep into it. I have gotten a handful of old crap motors bag up and running but this has stumped me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 PM

juses crust, just put your finger over the spark plug hole and pull it over and if it blow's your finger off the spark plug hole thin it's all good, if it don't take that soab back.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:32 PM

ha yeah that would tell me if there is atleast something there.

Edit: yes there feels like sufficient pressure when i plug the hole with my finger

Last edited by mucduc; 01-16-2014 at 10:36 PM. Reason: yes there feels like sufficient pressure when i plug the hole with my finger
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,097 Posts

Try this for me please..... Get some starting fluid and give a quick spray into the carb. Both with choke on and off,try starting it . The ether has a lower flashpoint, meaning it will ignite faster/easier. If you dont have any starting fluid, a quick home fluid can be found in your first aid kit/medicine cabinet. Use a cap full of rubbing alcohol,the higher the %age the better. (70%80%90%) It works great in a pinch and can be used to clean gunk from carbs,engine blocks/parts.....
Anyway, just want to see if you get enough spark to at least "cough" with the starting fluid. Your predicament has me baffled as well. Maybe you have a short or are grounding out just a little. Enough to drop the spark voltage..... ?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 AM

i will try that. i got ether in my truck so i will try that in the morning. im at work right now, and would go try it out, but its 30 degrees outside and cold. the first thing i thought was that it was grounding out somewhere. cant trace the plug wire with out taking the shroud and tank off. hopefully im not busy tomorrow and will be able to mess with it.

and i guess i could test the resistance of the plug wire and see what kind of numbers im getting. maybe when i flooded it and went to pull the spark plug to dry it out, i may have tweaked the wire at the boot. i wouldnt think so thou since it has a little handle to pull on and i have pulled my fair share of spark plugs, but if the wire is cheap and did not have a good crimp i my have messed it up a little now adding more resistance.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:02 AM

There seems to be a problem taking it back to HF? I would not jack with that engine for 1 sec., it would go right back to HF.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM

No real problem taking it back. But I'm on the back half of a 48 hour shift and don't get off work til 8am Saturday so I have time to fool with the motor. I'm taking it back tomorrow. Its just a "want to know” type thing now

Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 PM

Tried the ether with no prevail. I didn't have my multimeter in my truck like I thought. So I guess it will remain a mystery. I'm done messing with it. Its going back in the morning. Probably should have called HF today to see if they had any in stock. Thanks everyone for the help

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mucduc For This Useful Post:
firemanjim (01-17-2014), machinist@large (01-17-2014), rocketkart (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucduc View Post
Tried the ether with no prevail. I didn't have my multimeter in my truck like I thought. So I guess it will remain a mystery. I'm done messing with it. Its going back in the morning. Probably should have called HF today to see if they had any in stock. Thanks everyone for the help

Good luck; maybe take some motor oil and gas so you can try out the replacement in the parking lot? Might impress to them that you're actually serious....

Pat
Closed Thread