Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Harbor Freight Engine Good/Bad?

I am thinking of buying a Harbor Freight 6.5 HP engine, Central Machinery. Does anyone know anything about this motor I know that it is a Honda "knockoff" with a 90 day warranty. It is on sale right now and I can get it for about $120.00. I don't know anything about it and can't find anything on the web about it. If it's crap I would rather put the $120.00 towards a better engine. Anyone have advice? Here's a link to check it out------->http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94187

Last edited by timbo; 05-01-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 PM

I buy alot of stuff at harbor freight, it all seems to work well enough so far. I'd try it for me if it was a 16+hp hehe. as with any engine, change the oil often in the beginning, as there will be shavings, probably more with a "knockoff" as the parts break in.

I usually run mine about 30-45 mins at varying rpm's, and change the oil, than an 60-90 mins, another oil change, then after 4 hours again with varying rpm's another oil change. I usually consider that the "day of reckoning" and then change it after about a weeks regular use. oil is cheap and the less the motor cost, the more shavings you'll probably have until its worn in proper.this will also give the motor ample chance to "break" in the first day, as well as "break in"

do not use synthetics for break in, use cheapo dino for the first two, I prefer something with no detergents, then something with detergents for the 4 hour run and continuing on....I change to sythetic after a few weeks of regular use.

there are thousands of ways to break in a motor, so do some looking and don't take me as gospel, just my opinion and experience.

you don't use sythetics for break in because its too slippery, and your rings and etc may not seat right, just what I've heard/read, and have had good luck following.

i've done it like this with any engine I've used, and most all have held up fine. I would also recommend draining the oil as close to shutdown time as possible as to keep the shavings from settling on the bottom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryf For This Useful Post:
Hellion (05-16-2016), timbo (05-01-2007)
Old 05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 428 Posts

i don't know anything specific, but I have a friend that uses the one from pep boys with 2 years of time on it, (honda knockoff) and it's worked great. I think it's the chen engine, or the jiang dong, something like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to robertdjung For This Useful Post:
timbo (05-01-2007)
Old 05-02-2007, 01:53 PM

Robert,
Do you know how he hooked up his throttle. I'm looking at the same style and haven't figured it out yet.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 PM
Administrator

yes i've got photos... let me look
Old 05-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator

OK, here it is. The governor is the arm on the right. This is my setup for the bar stool. The governor severely limits the power -- but I haven't played with removing it completely yet. Funny how you get busy.
Attached Thumbnails
day-3-4-051.jpg  
Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM

Robert,

If the governor limits the power should I look for another motor or is there a way to disconnect it all together? I don't want a mach 3 motor but I don't want a granny slow one either.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:15 AM
Administrator

all engines have governors... you can disconnect that arm and it will disco the governor.

they don't really limit the power, as much as they limit the acceleration. especially on take-off.
The Following User Says Thank You to robertdjung For This Useful Post:
timbo (05-03-2007)
Old 05-03-2007, 05:56 AM

Default hf engine

I would buy the Robins/Subaru engine instead. they have a really good deal on it and it is a great little engine. Parts are not available for the chinese knockoff hondas. I am a dealer for the Robins and they are selling it for just over what I pay for it. All the mounting holes and shaft size is the same as a honda.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandpa For This Useful Post:
timbo (05-03-2007)
Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 AM

In your reply you write "they" sell a Robin engine for just over what you pay for it as a dealer. Who is they? Harbor Freight? Or somone else.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:22 AM

Nevermind I just found them on their web site thanks
Closed Thread