Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 PM

Default 1980 Yamaha DT175

A buddy and I went and picked this up yesterday, free! The previous owner said he wasn't getting any spark. He even threw in a full printed shop manual with wiring diagrams and an illustrated parts book. We took it back to my friend's house (it is technically his, at least for now) and fiddled with it for a while, and I decided the wiring needed to be gone through to get rid of the electrical tape and afro-engineering, so it ended up at my house.

I took off all the enduro stuff, lights, etc, and a huge pile of the wiring. Only 4 or 5 wires were actually needed for the ignition circuit, so I got all that together, and got a little bit of spark out of it, and then discovered the ignition coil is cracked open.

I also took the carb apart, and cleaned it thoroughly (the fuel inlet to needle seat passage was completely clogged).

This is the bike with most of the accessories removed, including the huge rotten *** seat, and broken fenders. Most likely going to keep it this way.

I was bored today, so I decided to make a little flattrack-style seat to replace the massive stock unit, as it was so rotten, and I like a lower riding position.
Took some scrap OSB, and did a little sawing and sanding with my grinder:

Much lower profile, the old seat was even with the rear kick-up on the subframe:

Added some steel to allow it to slide into the stock frame mount, and provisions for some kind of rear latch mechanism (zip ties for now):

Add some shoddy upholstery work, and there it is.

Any comments?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Pro Junk Collector

that would be a fun daily driver.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 PM

That is actually what I kind of want it to be, depending on if it ends up staying or not. I ultimately want to go for the Mad Max/"survival" rat bike look with it.

I found out CO only really requires tail/brake light with reflectors, and headlights, so I can leave the hugeinous turn signals off. I would have to apply for a new title as well, but that shouldn't be too hard.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 PM

So here's a terrible mspaint edit of what it could look like...basically just added flat black, and some big off-road lights...

Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Unfinished projects king.

Ditch one of the lights! Looks ugly like that!

A friend of mine has an AG175, basically the same bike as yours but with racks and other useless crap. It's a beast, quickest bike out of our whole group, a few of us have hopped up 250s and stuff too(4 stroke). His is just a farm bike, the DT must be a killer.

Thanks

Hayden
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 PM

Must just be me then, I like the look (although it would be better executed than the shoop).
Kind of similar to this or this.