Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Crazy Craigslist Finds

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-15-2017, 07:32 PM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default $500 Doodle Bug

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/m...265072527.html
Pretty sweet! Decent price.

Custom Built by me. Needs nothing but maybe a new chain. I put a used one on there. Has a Honda Gx200 (6.5hp) with 85 hours on it. Has an hour meter/ tach. Governor delete, oil sensor delete, NEW Mikuni 22mm carb and high flow air filter. New 30 series torque converter, new bars, new billet risers, new header with Rlv muffler, X18 pocket bike 10" wheels and forks, runs and rides great. Has working lights that run off a 3s lipo battery( included) rear tire has a slow leak at the bead otherwise needs nothing. I also have the front hydraulic brake set up but need a longer line to use it. (Available online.) Rear disc brake works just fine.

No trades want the cash, no lowball offers will be considered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bd1.jpg (215.1 KB, 21 views)
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #2  
Old 08-15-2017, 08:58 PM
Bbqjoe Bbqjoe is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 3,463
Thanks: 64
Thanked 1,003 Times in 716 Posts
Default

Maybe if you cleaned it up a little?
  #3  
Old 08-15-2017, 09:57 PM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

I've been thinking about how to put front disc brakes on a minibike. Is it as simple as finding a flanged hub rear wheel to attach a rotor to and slapping it on the front. Then weld a bracket to the forks for the caliper?

Or use pocket bike wheel and forks like done here.
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #4  
Old 08-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Texan's Avatar
Texan Texan is offline
Senor Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Deep In The Heart of Texas
Posts: 402
Thanks: 155
Thanked 205 Times in 159 Posts
Default

Nice bike, hopefully the market in your area will fetch you your asking price. Rarely see mini bikes in this area sell for $500 plus. This ad has been up for a couple weeks, the guy is also asking $500, says it hit 90mph

Screenshot_2017-08-15-22-25-53.jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-15-22-26-48.jpg

Screenshot_2017-08-15-22-26-25.jpg
  #5  
Old 08-15-2017, 10:01 PM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

I'm not selling it. I want to buy it. LOL
I just copied the post from the ad.

I'm guessing it will sell for closer to $400 around here, but depends on how long he sits on it.

At least I know I should look for cheap pocket bikes and collect brake parts and wheels and stuff.
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #6  
Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM
WeddingRing WeddingRing is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 30
Thanks: 35
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
I'm not selling it. I want to buy it. LOL
I just copied the post from the ad.

I'm guessing it will sell for closer to $400 around here, but depends on how long he sits on it.

At least I know I should look for cheap pocket bikes and collect brake parts and wheels and stuff.
The longer he sits on it, the more squished the seat will get!
  #7  
Old 08-16-2017, 12:15 AM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeddingRing View Post
The longer he sits on it, the more squished the seat will get!
It'll be warmer tho.
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #8  
Old 08-16-2017, 12:46 AM
Bbqjoe Bbqjoe is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 3,463
Thanks: 64
Thanked 1,003 Times in 716 Posts
Default

I too thought about a front disc brake for my Baja.
I figured I could just take a rear wheel, attach an old sprocket with the teeth ground off, and add a caliper.
Just never got around to it.
  #9  
Old 08-16-2017, 06:23 AM
ezcome-ezgo's Avatar
ezcome-ezgo ezcome-ezgo is offline
G'me sumthin to write on
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,991
Thanks: 2,452
Thanked 993 Times in 796 Posts
Default

Has what looks like negative trail (not sure if that's correct nomenclature) in the steering geometry. Might be a squirrely ride.
__________________
My name is Sylvester McMonkey McBean. I will make a decontamination.
  #10  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:12 PM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome-ezgo View Post
Has what looks like negative trail (not sure if that's correct nomenclature) in the steering geometry. Might be a squirrely ride.
Isn't this trail? Look closely for the little blue lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trail.jpg (191.9 KB, 10 views)
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #11  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:18 PM
Ebrownie's Avatar
Ebrownie Ebrownie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 568
Thanks: 245
Thanked 196 Times in 140 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
Isn't this trail? Look closely for the little blue lines.
No I think that's rake, the angle of the forks? Maybe I am misinterpreting your lines.
  #12  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:24 PM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrownie View Post
No I think that's rake, the angle of the forks? Maybe I am misinterpreting your lines.
Isn't trail the distance on the ground (road, street, surface, whatever...) between a vertical line through the center of the wheel and a line through the center of the steering head.

Trail is determined by rake, offset,... right?
So the yellow lines then....
How much the tire's contact patch TRAILS the steering axis.


For negative trail, I think you would need a smaller rake angle and a bigger offset.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trail2.jpg (195.1 KB, 5 views)
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #13  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 PM
Bbqjoe Bbqjoe is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 3,463
Thanks: 64
Thanked 1,003 Times in 716 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
Isn't trail the distance on the ground (road, street, surface, whatever...) between a vertical line through the center of the wheel and a line through the center of the steering head.

Trail is determined by rake, offset,... right?
So the yellow lines then....
How much the tire's contact patch TRAILS the steering axis.
I think I'm almost getting it now.
  #14  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Ebrownie's Avatar
Ebrownie Ebrownie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 568
Thanks: 245
Thanked 196 Times in 140 Posts
Default

Yep that's what I think. For there to be negative trail, would a line drawn through the steering pivot have to touch the ground behind the contact patch of the tire?
  #15  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:45 PM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrownie View Post
Yep that's what I think. For there to be negative trail, would a line drawn through the steering pivot have to touch the ground behind the contact patch of the tire?
Yes
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #16  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:45 PM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

Or if the forks kick out to the front. I think I've seen some minibike like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg negative trail.jpg (73.0 KB, 0 views)
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #17  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:47 PM
Bbqjoe Bbqjoe is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 3,463
Thanks: 64
Thanked 1,003 Times in 716 Posts
Default

So, let me get this straight.
A negative trail gives you the death wobble?
  #18  
Old 08-17-2017, 12:05 AM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbqjoe View Post
So, let me get this straight.
A negative trail gives you the death wobble?
I believe more trail is better for keeping it straight. Less trail is better for turning. Negative Trail...? Probably Death.

I don't know. Here's wikipedia....

The more trail a traditional bike has, the more stable it feels,[41] although too much trail can make a bike feel difficult to steer. Bikes with negative trail (where the contact patch is in front of where the steering axis intersects the ground), while still rideable, are reported to feel very unstable. Normally, road racing bicycles have more trail than touring bikes but less than mountain bikes. Mountain bikes are designed with reduced head angles than road bikes to improve stability for descents, and therefore have greater trail. Touring bikes are built with small trail to allow the rider to control a bike weighed down with baggage. As a consequence, an unloaded touring bike can feel unstable. In bicycles, fork rake, often a curve in the fork blades forward of the steering axis, is used to diminish trail.[42] Bikes with negative trail exist, such as the Python Lowracer, and are rideable, and an experimental bike with negative trail has been shown to be self-stable.[1]
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
  #19  
Old 08-17-2017, 12:32 AM
Bbqjoe Bbqjoe is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 3,463
Thanks: 64
Thanked 1,003 Times in 716 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob58o View Post
I believe more trail is better for keeping it straight. Less trail is better for turning. Negative Trail...? Probably Death.

I don't know. Here's wikipedia....

The more trail a traditional bike has, the more stable it feels,[41] although too much trail can make a bike feel difficult to steer. Bikes with negative trail (where the contact patch is in front of where the steering axis intersects the ground), while still rideable, are reported to feel very unstable. Normally, road racing bicycles have more trail than touring bikes but less than mountain bikes. Mountain bikes are designed with reduced head angles than road bikes to improve stability for descents, and therefore have greater trail. Touring bikes are built with small trail to allow the rider to control a bike weighed down with baggage. As a consequence, an unloaded touring bike can feel unstable. In bicycles, fork rake, often a curve in the fork blades forward of the steering axis, is used to diminish trail.[42] Bikes with negative trail exist, such as the Python Lowracer, and are rideable, and an experimental bike with negative trail has been shown to be self-stable.[1]
yay!
That's about as clear as mud right now.
  #20  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:51 PM
bob58o's Avatar
bob58o bob58o is offline
Sick, Tired, and in Debt
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Under the Rothschild Whip
Posts: 7,475
Thanks: 3,214
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,713 Posts
Default

Here is less rake and more offset (how far the forks are offset from the head tube)

We Need FHB for this stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg negative trail2.jpg (79.8 KB, 1 views)
__________________
History doesn't repeat but it rhymes Name a successful fiat currency in the last 5k years
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:45 PM.