Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Just starting here

Im disabled and blind, but i still build parade vehicles, go karts, mini bikes, and custom choppers. Use to restore antique cars and trucks before i went blind. Now i build what i want and i have no time limit to worry about, so i just have fun now.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM

Hey, nice to meet you, but how can you write/make gokarts/etc if you are blind? Erm.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:26 AM

Default How i do it

I have taught myself to go by the use of my fingers for touch, and the vision i see in my mind. I do all the spot welding, and my brother then does the finnish welds for me.. I also use my brothers eyes to line things up for me, then i keep on going. I have made myself some jigs that help me line up any square corners, and i use a talking tape measure, and what i call a story stick with notches cut in it that i can feel. I also have a speech program for my computer so i can tell it what to do. If there is something i just cant do i ask someone to help me, but i never give up. I cant paint anymore, so i have to have it done for me. If you want to do something bad enough you will find a way to get it done. Wait till you see the 1/2 scale highboy truck im building now. I do all my building on a long flat surfase, that way it all lays flat and helps me to do my spot welds.I have found lots of tricks to get around most of my problems. So thats how i build my projects. Just cause you are blind does not mean you cant still see in your mind, and touch. If i make a mistake, someone will tell me, and i do make them. I also dont draw anything, as i cant see to draw. I design everything in my mind, then tell my brother what i want for dimensions, and he writes them down.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,027 Times in 428 Posts

that's both inspirational and very cool! keep it up.
Closed Thread