Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 AM

Default No clue what i have here

Picked up this kart almost a year ago, can't say i know much about it. Other than it has a predator engine installed and could use some paint.

Is it worth sticking a live axle on this chassis? Is it even worth it?
Attached Thumbnails
20190913_131718.jpg   20190913_131738.jpg  

Old 09-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Currently flathead-crazed

Reminds me of Carsandcameras' NasKart(look it up on YouTube).

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Check this out to help you decide for live axle or not: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7891
I kinda like 1WD, but that varies.
As with Carsandcameras' kart shows, a very high HP engine and 1WD isn't the best idea. But low to mid HP should be fine.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSpeedDemon View Post
Reminds me of Carsandcameras' NasKart(look it up on YouTube).

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Check this out to help you decide for live axle or not: http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7891
I kinda like 1WD, but that varies.
As with Carsandcameras' kart shows, a very high HP engine and 1WD isn't the best idea. But low to mid HP should be fine.

Funny enough i just came across the video with the yellow body. The frames are somewhat similar.but this one has disk brakes rather than the pedal on wheel setup.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:29 PM

You mean scrub brakes. My kart has that.
Disc brakes are generally the best in braking systems. Oh gosh, I'm sounding like a salesman.
You may have a concession kart, like the kind you can rent at an amusement park.
We need better pictures! Pull it out of the garage into the daylight, take off the body and show pics of the chassis.
Look for numbers or identification plates.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 PM

As far as whether or not something is or isn't 'worth it' is many times a question that can only be answered by the person holding the wallet. So answer your question. Is it? Is this something you want to build into a riding machine and how does it all work together with any budget you may or may not have? Is it something you want to try and somewhat restore then you may not want to change it at all. But whatever you decide someone here can surely give you well placed guidance. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You mean scrub brakes. My kart has that.
Disc brakes are generally the best in braking systems. Oh gosh, I'm sounding like a salesman.
You may have a concession kart, like the kind you can rent at an amusement park.
We need better pictures! Pull it out of the garage into the daylight, take off the body and show pics of the chassis.
Look for numbers or identification plates.
Will post more later today

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes View Post
As far as whether or not something is or isn't 'worth it' is many times a question that can only be answered by the person holding the wallet. So answer your question. Is it? Is this something you want to build into a riding machine and how does it all work together with any budget you may or may not have? Is it something you want to try and somewhat restore then you may not want to change it at all. But whatever you decide someone here can surely give you well placed guidance. Good luck!
Cool thing is i have a live axle kit and a decent welder to use. I also have a 250cc 5 speed engine that i can shove in with a harness for lights and accessories. . But im just wondering if it would be worth it for fun riding to keep the predator. Or go the shifter route. But id like to find replacement parts if necessary.

My main concern with the engine swap is me needing to move the wheels further back.making me cut the body panels which i like the way they are.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:35 PM

I wouldn't hack up the frame for the shifter engine, I'd save it for another project. I'd make that body nice again and then mod out that Predator.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't hack up the frame for the shifter engine, I'd save it for another project. I'd make that body nice again and then mod out that Predator.
Kinda torn in what to do. The frame would be nice for live axle. Guess i may clean it up and respray.
The Following User Says Thank You to X7rocks For This Useful Post:
JTSpeedDemon (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 09:25 PM

I think the body at least deserves an overhaul and a fresh coat of paint and to be redone in the racer of your choice that drove that style of chassis back in the day. I always wanted a kart like that as a kid so I would kinda fix it up if it was me. I have to agree with JT this one time, I would not molest the frame for a shifter engine either. You'll get all you could want out of a properly built 212 to move a kart like that all the more faster than it really needs to go. Remember, it's not a high performance race frame and there's a difference between having fun and cheating death every time you ride the thing. Now I'm not saying you can't make it do that because if you throw the right parts into a 212 and gear that thing right...well...you still might be surprised how fast you might be able to make it go and just how bad you can hurt yourself in the process. That said, see if it has any kind of collector value and if not look into what you need to do for the live axle mod. Might be fairly easy. I would like to see pics of the frame as well.