Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 06-20-2019, 11:25 PM
Aka a kenbar

Nice murray i have a manco my unknown budget go kart a yerfdog and another unknown kart and a coleman ct200u
Old 06-21-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes View Post
That's exactly what it is, a d@mn Murray Explorer. Just like mine. I thought I recognized that brake setup. I suggest you buy a new assembly and not waste your time with the comet. I found with mine I couldn't keep the lock nut on the brake lever tight. It would back off during a ride and I would have limited brakes without warning. Maybe mine was just worn out.

But actually it's really a decent riding cart. I like mine. You'll find once you get it properly set up it'll actually move on down the road. Mine will run just under 40 with a stage 1 212 governor still installed. 10tooth on the jack turning the factory sprocket and tires. But the PO didn't have the right TC on it. I went back with the factory 30 series and a 7 inch driven. That's the secret. It has plenty of pull and excellent top end.

Attachment 108845

Attachment 108846

You have the bonus of getting one with a good seat!!!

These are good karts. Look for cracks around the front spindle supports and rear frame areas. It's not unusual for these karts to crack under rough use or abuse as they are heavy beast. Mine holds the road real well and I will help any way I can.

Wes
Ok so I will look into both options, a new caliper or new pads. I still have the original foot pedals lol but itís put together all janky. Big Wes since we have the same cart what do you recommend I do first? I also have the comet torque converter
Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 AM

I use the original foot pedals on mine. I don't think they're gonna break under normal circumstances. Now it's entirely up to you on what you are going to do next. Consider your budget. Consider the current status of your kart. The importance of the next needed repairs. It's really that simple. Personally I don't ride one without brakes or some method to shut down the engine as well. I require BOTH. You know you can buy a cheap replacement caliper and put on there and still overhaul the other one. Or do it any way YOU want to do it. That thing is yours bruh! You can make your own decisions. Just keep it fun and don't hurt yourself and don't be stupid!

That's why brakes are important to me and a kill switch...just in case...that way hopefully I can deter a bad situation.

Tell is what you got going on.

And maybe we can make some suggestions.

Wes
Old 06-21-2019, 07:04 AM

Ok I have the kill switch installed and it works. The first step is going to be brakes. I’m going to bring the caliper to this guy at this powersport store near my job and he will match up the pads
Then next some front tires.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM

Ok so I’m at a dead end right now. Both stores don’t have the pads for my caliper. Any ideas? What is my next step? Is there a place to order the pads or just get new system?
Old 06-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,337 Times in 1,090 Posts

MFG Supply has that stuff, or anywhere practically. Several different types. Make sure you match parts with what you have. I’ve got the Manco style caliper, for example, not the Comet.

https://www.mfgsupply.com/gomini/gom...rakesdisc.html

I applaud you trying to support local businesses and stuff, but 9 times out of 10 they won’t have it or have it in stock. Only the exotic, specialized stuff is hard to find. If it’s something that’s mass produced, WalMart will have it. I’ve done that ‘run all over town’ thing before, too many times. It’s irritating.

It’s usually cheaper online with less price markup. Great times to be living in, only if you don’t need it today.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:33 PM

If I was to buy the mechanical caliper will it fit my Murray go kart?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMatrix View Post
If I was to buy the mechanical caliper will it fit my Murray go kart?
Hang on dude...I'll be right back...

Ok I am back...

I bought this kart on a whim. Guy wanted 200 bucks for it. He swore it cranked and ran and drove great. It just needed a pull cord. I looked at the pics and said I'll give you 150 for it just like it is right now today no questions...he said come get it...when I got to his place I knew why.

I knew without a doubt he was lying to me. both front tires were rotted off...different sizes. there was no pull starter on it. The engine had a centrifugal clutch chained to a bicycle sprocket mounted over on the jackshaft. And the air filter box was open to the weather. I felt committed so with the help of his he-woman we loaded it into my truck.

If an engine will run at all I can get it to run. I'm not trying to act like I'm bragging. But this **** thing took me almost an hour to get running. This one took longest of any I ever had to deal with. But I finally got it to choke to life. I have no idea what size it was...some sort of OHV Briggs. I got it to run up the road at 8mph WOT and 10mph WOT with my hand overriding the governor. And it wouldn't run without choking the carb.

It had LOTS of issues and it still has issues. But the thing is solid. It still needs a lot of work. I adjusted the original brake until it started acting up but it was completely worn out anyway. I went down the the Harbor freight store and bought a new 212 to put on it. I looked on ebay and bought a set of 30 series TC pulleys to put on it, with a 7 inch driven. got a few different sprockets to play with on the jackshaft output. I even built one up with parts from TSC that has a 14 tooth sprocket. that one will easily put me into the mid 40's on a long straight stretch of road...just no take off.

But back to the brakes...I got tired of screwing around with the old Comet. I was under some impression at the time all these little calipers were so much different. Well they look that way. But not as much as you think.

I called Go Power Sports and started asking questions...why not...they always claim to have all the answers...let them listen to some questions then.

Same questions you have right now...will a different one fit...

I give you this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190621_200346518.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	108896

Name:	IMG_20190621_200409347.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	108897

Name:	IMG_20190621_200533897.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	108898

Name:	IMG_20190621_200544605.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	108899

Yes, it slid right onto the mount like it was made for it. I put a little grease on the rails for lube purpose and adjusted the preload on the pads and was off. I did replace my mounting bolts on the hanger brackets. They were rusted up and to me they seemed too small for the large holes they were in.

I also installed a spring on the brake arm. It goes back to the rear frame tube and is secured with a zip tie. I just haven't gotten around to anything more permanent yet.

I put in a link below to the one I bought. I think they are all basically the same thing wherever you buy them at. You may be able to search the net and find a Comet replacement. If so you can reuse your spring and not install one like I had to.

https://www.gopowersports.com/manual-brake-caliper/
The Following User Says Thank You to BigWes For This Useful Post:
LawnCrawler (07-18-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 07:06 PM

Hurry up Wesley! You silly freak.

Why not just replace the caliper with an identical one?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:28 PM

I don’t think I need to replace the caliper I need the pads really. That site mfg seems like it has the pads I need and cheap. But the mechanical caliper looks better and cheaper and it looks similar but I can just buy the pucks.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Hurry up Wesley! You silly freak.

Why not just replace the caliper with an identical one?
Gimme a break, I'm tired...I thought I was gonna have a heat stroke today and I haven't fully recovered yet.
I'm d@mn near 50 years old and I was climbing around on top of a helicopter like a big a$$ ape because avionics couldn't get their **** together today. It was probably 130 degrees on top of that thing and those two lazy sh!ts didn't wanna do their jobs. Screw that, I climbed up the side of it, popped open the engine cowling, loosened some screws around the aft transmission wraparound fairing and told the little b!tch to install the cannon plug. They wanted me to depanel the aircraft while they sat inside in their little air conditioned shop...bullsh!t. I can roast in the sun so can they...

Anyway, I hope the pics help him out.

Wes
Old 06-21-2019, 08:31 PM

Good pics Wes.

As long as Will has the same "floating" caliper mount, then the Manco style caliper and the Comet style will fit. They're basically universal (or should be).

I'd like to see him replace the pad/pucks on his original caliper instead of replacing the whole thing but we wanna work smarter, not harder. Whichever, it's his choice.

GoPowerSports might have the 10% discount, but MFG Supply has flat rate shipping ($6.99, BABY!) regardless of how many items or total shipping weight. Not big stuff like engines and frames though*

Last edited by Hellion; 06-21-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: MORE STUFF
Old 06-21-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Good pics Wes.

I think if Will has the same "floating" caliper mount, then the Manco style caliper and the Comet style will fit. They're basically universal (or should be).

I'd like to see him replace the pad/pucks on his original caliper instead of replacing the whole thing but we wanna work smarter, not harder. Whichever.

GoPowerSports might have the 10% discount, but MFG Supply has flat rate shipping ($6.99, BABY!) regardless of how many items or total shipping weight.

I'll look on the net and see if I can find anything.

but I had the Comet in that same mount. I think the Comet, the Airheart, and the Chinese copy all have the same mount specs. And that caliper was originally designed by a company that builds brakes for forklifts if you can believe that, and other industrial applications that need a simple brake mechanism such as conveyors and other drive mechanisms. I had an old product sheet downloaded somewhere, it was very interesting. But it wasn't manco.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Hey WillMatrix,

Check this link and go down a bit you will find some pads for a comet brake. Make sure your caliper hasn't lost any of its internal parts though before you buy the pads or you have wasted your money. I say this because sometimes when the pads fall out so does the back plate and the little bullet shaped pressure pill thing.EDIT EDIT <<<<Just checked my Comet, don't worry, it doesn't have these parts. I don't know about a back plate...but it's all self contained. Just need the pads as far as I can tell.

https://www.gokartsupply.com/discbr.htm

https://www.ombwarehouse.com/comet-d...rvice-kit.html
Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I'll look on the net and see if I can find anything.

but I had the Comet in that same mount. I think the Comet, the Airheart, and the Chinese copy all have the same mount specs. And that caliper was originally designed by a company that builds brakes for forklifts if you can believe that, and other industrial applications that need a simple brake mechanism such as conveyors and other drive mechanisms. I had an old product sheet downloaded somewhere, it was very interesting. But it wasn't manco.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

Hey WillMatrix,

Check this link and go down a bit you will find some pads for a comet brake. Make sure your caliper hasn't lost any of its internal parts though before you buy the pads or you have wasted your money. I say this because sometimes when the pads fall out so does the back plate and the little bullet shaped pressure pill thing.EDIT EDIT <<<<Just checked my Comet, don't worry, it doesn't have these parts. I don't know about a back plate...but it's all self contained. Just need the pads as far as I can tell.

https://www.gokartsupply.com/discbr.htm

https://www.ombwarehouse.com/comet-d...rvice-kit.html
You had me scared for a second. So I will take pictures right now . You guys are the best.
Attached Thumbnails
AE041496-F4E6-4C20-8F84-BAC931DCAA30.jpg   38B9CAC2-38DC-4B1B-8C1C-7132AE3B7900.jpg  

FBE5EDC1-772D-4BC6-9F54-950EE2D62DCB.jpg   3B8DE593-AF42-4EDD-A272-C7429E1469F5.jpg  

84CF85BD-545A-45BB-8F74-79F572EC0140.jpg  

Last edited by WillMatrix; 06-22-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillMatrix View Post
You had me scared for a second. So I will take pictures right now . You guys are the best.
Yea, same way mine looks. It's all original, no one changed it out.

Just buy a set of pads to put in there and go with it. I'd probably do a good cleanup on the thing first, but hey, just me. I put a few links up there or you can search for somewhere of your own liking. I think your biggest price difference will be shipping overall. Then travel time to your mailbox. and then actual availability, not in that order of course.

Good luck!

Wes
Old 06-22-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yea, same way mine looks. It's all original, no one changed it out.

Just buy a set of pads to put in there and go with it. I'd probably do a good cleanup on the thing first, but hey, just me. I put a few links up there or you can search for somewhere of your own liking. I think your biggest price difference will be shipping overall. Then travel time to your mailbox. and then actual availability, not in that order of course.

Good luck!

Wes
I will follow your lead and do a great cleaning. Do you have any recommendations for cleaning methods of this caliper? I also see people talking about a backing plate, am I missing the backing plate?
Old 06-22-2019, 11:26 AM

Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,449 Posts

I think that is the Airheart type, with the backing plate, as this one has a cam plate, because of the rotating adjustable actuation lever...

Itll need to be really clean to reglue the fixed pad in place...
Any cleaner without an oily residue, a glass bead blast(just blow it off well with air after)....
Old 06-22-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
I think that is the Airheart type, with the backing plate, as this one has a cam plate, because of the rotating adjustable actuation lever...

Itll need to be really clean to reglue the fixed pad in place...
Any cleaner without an oily residue, a glass bead blast(just blow it off well with air after)....
Iím about to buy the pucks that BIG WES showed me but are the pads ok being the same thickness? I thought that pad that goes on the side with the swing arm would be slimmer
Old 06-22-2019, 04:37 PM

No, those are right size. You will need to adjust your bolts all the way back out to accommodate the new full size pads. Normally if any pad is thinner it will be the static pad and not the dynamic pad. The dynamic pad has a habit of getting loose with wear and folks don't keep it adjusted and it has a tendency to slip through the cracks if you will and usually the backing plate with it.

Don't make too much out of this man it ain't rocket science. I don't think the comet used a backing plate either...hence the thickness. Even if it did you could easily build one with a piece of metal from Lowe's and I could tell you how.

Wes
Old 06-22-2019, 07:33 PM

Cool. I noticed a guy here said something about glue the pads.

Btw I ordered the pads I’m so hype