Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 08:15 AM

Default Kart starts by pressing brake.

We have a Excalibur UTV/go cart. It has an electric start. Obviously you need to turn the key over with pressure on the brake pedal for it to start. Now you can turn the key over to power and just press the brake pedal and the cart starts. What worries me is every time you press the brake it is engaging the starter. Hoping for some insight on how to fix it or bypass the brake? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:01 AM

Thanked 1,159 Times in 960 Posts

Did this problem just start occurring one day all on it's own, or was the problem caused by someone replacing the Ignition switch, trying to repair damaged wiring, or attempting some other type of repair?

I found wiring diagrams for serveral different Excalibur UTV models at this site: http://www.atv4usa.com/partscatalog.html

What's the model number and engine size of your Excalibur?
Old 10-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Banned

I don't think the starter engaging every time you press the brake, if it did it would make lots of noise...

The reason you have to press the brake is because it's a safety feature.. It assumes that your sitting in the seat when you start the Vehicle... Idk

Is it making any grinding noise when you press the brake? If not there's probably nothing wrong with it....
Old 10-02-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderkart View Post
Did this problem just start occurring one day all on it's own, or was the problem caused by someone replacing the Ignition switch, trying to repair damaged wiring, or attempting some other type of repair?

I found wiring diagrams for serveral different Excalibur UTV models at this site: http://www.atv4usa.com/partscatalog.html

What's the model number and engine size of your Excalibur?
It just started on its own. Model # Xg150-sp/150cc engine.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNSleder View Post
I don't think the starter engaging every time you press the brake, if it did it would make lots of noise...

The reason you have to press the brake is because it's a safety feature.. It assumes that your sitting in the seat when you start the Vehicle... Idk

Is it making any grinding noise when you press the brake? If not there's probably nothing wrong with it....
Yes when the kart is started I can press the brake and hear the starter grinding/engaging.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Your ignition switch is probably bad. Stuck contacts.

Either that or the wiring is damaged and shorted out.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:48 AM

Thanked 4,269 Times in 3,204 Posts

I agree, most likely cause will be the ignition switch;
if it doesn't snap back to "on" properly it's still registered as "start"

that is if you don't have a push button to start of course in which case that needs to be replaced of course
(it's shorted to ground and there's likely no way to repair it really)

So key:
find some dielectric oil in your automotive shop (most are dielectric anyways but be sure it's says so on the bottle!)
then bath your ignition switch in said oil for a while working the key back and forth left and right to free up all contacting surfaces as good as possible.

If that doesn't help test it with a multimeter, to check if all terminals are actually puleld high or low as intended.
If so, you will need to trace the start wire (manually I'm afraid)
to see where it's grabbing a 12V signal.

'sid
Old 10-02-2017, 02:54 PM
SPP_MN

quick fix.Push Button start
Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Thanked 1,159 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_W View Post
It just started on its own. Model # Xg150-sp/150cc engine.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Yes when the kart is started I can press the brake and hear the starter grinding/engaging.
Your brake light switch is connected to the Starting Relay. I suspect this Relay is defective and causing your problem, but I could be wrong and you might have a Starter switch or wiring Issue causing the problem.

To properly diagnose the problem; you need to locate this Relay, unplug it and then test each the 3 wires:

(Your wires might be different colors, but according to this wiring diagram:)

One of these Starter relay wires should be a constant battery feed. It should have power all the time, no matter the position of the Ignition switch or brake pedal.

Then you should find a 2nd wire in that plug that only receives power when you push the brake pedal. (you'll need to have the Ignition switched to the on-position for this test, because the brake light switch needs that for It's source of power...)

Then the 3rd wire should be receiving a Ground-signal (not power) only when your starter switch is in the crank position.

If the Starter relay wiring passes these 3 tests, your relay is defective and causing the problem.

You could use an inexpensive 12-volt test light, or the DC-voltage setting of a Multi-meter for all these tests. To test for ground-signals, you'd simply need to connect one of the test probes to the positive battery terminal and then use the other to test for grounds...

PS:
I couldn't find a wiring diagram for your exact model, but this diagram is for the 150cc Excalibur ZN150T, that I'm assuming has the same starting circuit...

Last edited by anderkart; 10-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anderkart For This Useful Post:
ezcome-ezgo (10-03-2017), GrojDad (10-03-2017)
Closed Thread