Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Other Stuff > Off Topic Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Derailleur deLuxe

While some people foolishly foam at the mouth for a Briggs these things have been out of production for years. In my location salvage parts are scarce at best and always overpriced, especially if someone is looking for oem fuel parts like a fuel tank carb combo. You can spend lots of money and wait time sourcing parts for these things. Not an issue for a collector but if you are in a hurry to ride or impatient it could become one. Just things to consider not to mention what has already been paid at your feet. Needless to say don't jump because of someone else's enthusiasm. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanked 4,267 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Pardon me.... they lack valves in the traditional sense..
huh? explain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWes View Post
While some people foolishly foam at the mouth for a Briggs these things have been out of production for years. In my location salvage parts are scarce at best and always overpriced, especially if someone is looking for oem fuel parts like a fuel tank carb combo. You can spend lots of money and wait time sourcing parts for these things. Not an issue for a collector but if you are in a hurry to ride or impatient it could become one. Just things to consider not to mention what has already been paid at your feet. Needless to say don't jump because of someone else's enthusiasm. Good luck.
A good condition 5hp briggs is a good engine.. it has a smaller footprint than the conventional GX clone
thus fits smaller vehicles more easily and it has surprising torque for it's small size. (more than your average gx-clone)

carb wise: you can slap a flatslide mikuni or a butterfly keihin on there (Bronda sends greetings)
or an x380 if you like
So you're not stuck to stock B&S carbs at all... only if you insist on the low hanging tank,
then you'd have a hard time getting that to work with a t.o.t. carb of course.

'sid

PS, also would you mind stopping the side blows..
or are you taking Hellion as your role model?
Old 09-15-2019, 12:42 PM

Not making side blows, that is your opinion. And I am not digging out at Briggs either. I'm just not just blindly in love with one thing or the other and I'm pointing out the obvious. Just as you obviously tried to do with my post. Seemingly to turn what I said into something useless by trying to somehow negate my information? Of course you did. I was stating a mere fact about OEM parts. So you quoted my post with your arrogant belittling style and tried to demean it with statements about using aftermarket parts. Yes, anyone can use aftermarket parts. That in itself is a whole different can of worms I wasn't gonna open. But if you wanna comment on someone else about making side blows you might just wanna take a look in the mirror pal. Because you do it just about every time you come back with one of your self perceived witty posts. Maybe you think you're cool cool in your societal background but in American society you aren't. Don't throw rocks in a glass house.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Not to mention you just made a dig(side blow called by name no less) on Hellion which was uncalled for...

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Hey OP, when you talk to the seller again find out if those engines were set-up to run nitro. The appearance makes me ponder this question is all. I have no idea why. Just a question.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Not making side blows, that is your opinion. And I am not digging out at Briggs either. I'm just not just blindly in love with one thing or the other and I'm pointing out the obvious. Just as you obviously tried to do with my post. Seemingly to turn what I said into something useless by trying to somehow negate my information? Of course you did. ....
Not an opinion, an observation!

And you could've done so w/o picking on JTs affection for old flatheaded Briggs.
or say you should have..
It's terribly easy to make fun of a kid running around in a Justin Bieber shirt (not saying JT IS in fact ).. it's way more mature to just leave him be.

Correct him when he's wrong alright..
But leave him his passion for things you do not like!

Trust me.. JT certainly won't start an itsid-fanclub any time soon..
I kicked his shin more than once.

And it's not just this thread.. it's that I'm getting the impression,
that we have two seemingly grown ups teaming up to belittle a teenager every time he is posting.

And if you do not stop this bulls shirt, I WILL make you stop!

And yes.. since you wouldn't have said anything about the missing carbs if those were clone engines of any kind, I indeed pointed out that you can just use any carb you like, just like with OHVs or OHCs..

You don't like them.. that's fair..
The fact that there are four for sale
of what appear to be racing engines has me worried myself a bit tbh..
why would someone hoard them if they're still functional?
a second one, sure.. a third is already kind of a stretch..
four makes me think at least two of them are worn out completely.
(hence the 'bring a carb and start them up' comment)
I wouldn't like buying any mystery engine myself for more than a few bucks
But OP is apparently interested in those... so it's his decision to make.
And a missing carb shouldn't hold him back IMHO.

Quote:
So you quoted my post with your arrogant belittling style ..... Because you do it just about every time you come back with one of your self perceived witty posts. Maybe you think you're cool cool in your societal background but in American society you aren't. Don't throw rocks in a glass house.
about arrogance I have a lot to learn ...
please teach me some more of that oh holy american grand master of supremacy..
(as if nationality matters the tiniest bit...)
but see that? two "cool" ..
that's freudian you know.. you think I'm twice as cool as other's huh?
I can live with that

'sid

PS I think Hellion knows why he got mentioned in this context,
but you are right, that maybe was inappropiate for this thread.. my apologies.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:37 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,091 Posts

This thread is quite derailed. It's turned into the proverbial train wreck and our dear moderator itsid has helped it along the way instead of standing aside or even calling for order. I've never seen a moderator act like a regular forum member before, except here.

Where's that broom 'sid?

Since you dragged me into it, allow me to retort-- No one mentioned names here except you, sid. BigWes and I are in no way conspiring together to attack JTSpeedDemon every chance we get, much less anyone else. That's absurd. I didn't see him mention JT once but what he did do was to warn against undue enthusiasm that may not be in the OP's best interest considering the age, condition, parts availability and ultimately cost of utilizing those old motors. Those motors were obviously unknown to the OP, you understand.

It was poor form to mention me in this thread, sid, but you did it anyway. And no, I don't know why. Maybe it's because of something from another topic, another thread or something entirely different?

I think it's fair to say that BigWes and I are both similarly interested in correcting misinformation and steering a balanced, middle course where needed. 'Nuff said. I'm just more mischievous.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsid View Post
Not an opinion, an observation!

And you could've done so w/o picking on JTs affection for old flatheaded Briggs.
or say you should have..
It's terribly easy to make fun of a kid running around in a Justin Bieber shirt (not saying JT IS in fact ).. it's way more mature to just leave him be.

Correct him when he's wrong alright..
But leave him his passion for things you do not like!

Trust me.. JT certainly won't start an itsid-fanclub any time soon..
I kicked his shin more than once.

And it's not just this thread.. it's that I'm getting the impression,
that we have two seemingly grown ups teaming up to belittle a teenager every time he is posting.

And if you do not stop this bulls shirt, I WILL make you stop!

And yes.. since you wouldn't have said anything about the missing carbs if those were clone engines of any kind, I indeed pointed out that you can just use any carb you like, just like with OHVs or OHCs..

You don't like them.. that's fair..
The fact that there are four for sale
of what appear to be racing engines has me worried myself a bit tbh..
why would someone hoard them if they're still functional?
a second one, sure.. a third is already kind of a stretch..
four makes me think at least two of them are worn out completely.
(hence the 'bring a carb and start them up' comment)
I wouldn't like buying any mystery engine myself for more than a few bucks
But OP is apparently interested in those... so it's his decision to make.
And a missing carb shouldn't hold him back IMHO.

about arrogance I have a lot to learn ...
please teach me some more of that oh holy american grand master of supremacy..
(as if nationality matters the tiniest bit...)
but see that? two "cool" ..
that's freudian you know.. you think I'm twice as cool as other's huh?
I can live with that

'sid

PS I think Hellion knows why he got mentioned in this context,
but you are right, that maybe was inappropiate for this thread.. my apologies.

So, is there any way I can report this to another mod as abuse? Not once in my post any where did I mention any one's names thank you.

Sir, perhaps you losing control. Yes you have busted peoples chops this entire thread. You, not me. You derailed this thread. Not me. You went on the tirade about valves, not me. You are calling out names not me. The double up of the words is a stupid error that my old android phone makes. The text block is so small on my phone that I can only see two lines. I despise grammar errors, trust me.

You know what, the real jist of my post should have been without hurting the OP's feeling should have said? If you don't know what you are looking at you probably shouldn't buy it. I know exactly what a Briggs and Stratton engine is. I was working on them probably before you were even born. I actually have a deep appreciation and great love for them. I also know that at this point in time it's like any other out of production item. Parts are scarce. People these days don't have the mindset to manufacture their own stuff. They buy into a bunch of junk someone has sitting on a shelf because someone else tells them how great and wonderful it used to be. Fact is it may or may not be a bunch of useless junk. But the whole time you are too concerned about busting everyone else's balls about valves and trying to prove how smart you are and how much power you have as a mod instead of trying to pass on the truth and the real knowledge that I am sure that you possess. And with this post I am sure that you will ban me from the forums and for the rest of the folks that read this and are not part of this I bid thee farewell and I wish you guys the best. Take care,

Wes.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post

This thread is quite derailed. ..and .. itsid has helped ...
Ja.. I need to agree on that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Where's that broom 'sid?
coming.. hang on...

Quote:
So, is there any way I can report this to another mod as abuse?
Sure can.. that tiny little street sign above every post sends an email to all moderators (inkl me unfortunately )

but feel free to contact any moderator via PM
landuse or robertdjung (the site admin and owner of DIYGK)
will certainly help you with all complaints you might have

'sid
Old 09-15-2019, 11:55 PM
Disc brakes'r for cowards

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsid View Post

coming.. hang on...

'sid
Too late Mister Moderator! Damage has been done. Those two locomotives are trashed!

You need to leave the thread intact for the forensics experts. . .

Old 09-16-2019, 07:20 AM
The great cornholio

Dang, I wish I had seen the beginning of this. It looks like it got quite out of hand.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:56 AM
Currently flathead-crazed

Long story, but it stemmed from an argument between me and 'sid over 2 strokes(more like a hard clarification), but yeah, it got out of hand.
It's not the first time people have lost their tempers.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinhillbilly View Post
Dang, I wish I had seen the beginning of this. It looks like it got quite out of hand.
Yeah forgot to link to the thread this was ripped out of:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42045

you can easily match up the timeline since the first post of this thread is still in the original thread
(just removed the sentence it started with)

'sid

[EDIT]
Commenting on that is now no longer possible
since some don't seem to understand that the original topic is the one I linked a few lines above..
and that THAT is what you should reply to in order to help with the engines..
I close this thread!

It's just here so Wes still has the opportunity to easily report my post
as he was asking to do
No more, no less.
Closed Thread