Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 09:24 PM

"I have ordered the variator tool to help keep the sucker from
Falling apart when removing the nut."

I use a 3/8" battery powered impact wrench for pretty much everything on these machines. It will buzz most nuts off in seconds, when reinstalling anything I'll run the nut up until it bottoms then "burp" the trigger a few more times for decent torque.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Default Nice

Fantastic information gents! Appreciate it.

I order 9.5 gram rollers and a 1500 RPM spring for the clutch. Was looking forward to the sliders but I want to see what I can accomplish small first with these two upgrades- thing is gutless uphill. WOT and just sits there.

Think I got jipped on the carburetor from gopowersports: https://www.gopowersports.com/150cc-...upgraded-jets/

Hadnít seen anything on the status of my order so I called today. Gentlemen said itís in the mail and should arrive Friday. There wasnít any detail about what size jets they put in the carb (on the website). I was told a .051Ē main jet was all thatís Ďupgradedí besides the addition of the mixture screw.

Correct me if Iím wrong but that doesnít sound like much of an upgrade... no upgraded emulsion tube? I am in Colorado so we are at height. The EPA carbs are garbage. Any thoughts on that?

Also what do you think about the 9.5 gram rollers and the 1500 RPM spring? From what Iíve read itís a decent compromise- and with the stage one kit (UNI filter, non-rev limited CDI, performance ignition cable)

Still on the fence with the mixing of roller weights though- so it turns out that I actually have 13 gram rollers in the variator!! Reweighed all the rollers using my second micro scale (found the old one damaged on the bottom it turns out that itís readings were not accurate)

All the rollers coming in about 12.9 grams- wow right!?!

Still researching whether mixing the 9.5ís with the 13 grams is worth the reward- seems to be differing opinion on if thereís an actual benefit.

10-4 on the variator tool-itís being returned to Amazon and 10-4 on kart vs buggy- no problem!!
Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 AM

I've bought a couple Mountain rental snowmobiles over the years and definitely had to richen them up for my 900' elevation area. I'm sure folks in your area should be well versed in the routine for good running in your area.

The rollers weights you got are quite a jump but their going in the right direction, might help with your uphills. A final gearing will help too but its a direct compromise with top speed.

The GY6 cvt clutching is completely different than Comet / snowmobile style. Comet incorporates the clutch function into the drive pulley. The GY6 has an actual centrifugal clutch mounted on the driven pulley. If your rig is hard to get rolling then look at the clutch pads and springs.

When you start messing around with changing flyweights and springs the only real way is to compare the changes. Just make sure that you get full clutch engagement BEFORE the cvt begins upshifting or it will act like it is launching in "2nd gear".
Old 09-10-2019, 07:50 PM

Default Issues continue...

Hey guys- update:

The upgraded carb and UNI filter came in today. Card has a K35 and .125 main. Once assembled, ride okay but still quite gutless. Accelerated fine but no torque. (3 9 frame rollers and 3 13 gram rollers in variator).

In addition itís still not getting full RPMS- revs high at idle at 1800-1900 and maxes out at around 7000. Went home. Took apartment carb and added .130 main jet (In Colorado).

Noticed the mixture screw came out on its own during the drive So I installed another one- New one one turned 2 1/4 CCW to set- made sure the float was parallel with the bowl and reassembled. Not the dang thing started quitting while coming off throttle- adjusted carb again, now it bogs down and makes a horrible racket (engine) when WOT- even more gutless.

Something went terribly wrong. Quit for the night. Will put the .125 main back in tomorrow.

Thoughts?
Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 AM

Do a wet/dry compression test, see if there's much difference between the two. Clean air and fuel filters, correct valve adjustment, see if the flywheel key has twisted and thrown the timing off, make sure the fuel cap is venting, check fuel hoses for any restrictions or kinks, rodent nests in air filter box, check the clutch for slippage or binding sheaves, make sure you have the correct belt, drop the exhaust pipe from the engine and run it briefly & see if that changes anything. Have you gone through the troubleshooting chart sent previously?