Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Old 08-31-2019, 04:51 PM

Default ASW/CARBIDE/QUANTUM 7150-150cc Kart wire question

Hey there!

Many names this Kart goes under... Officially (per manual) its a Quantum 7150- 150 Kart.

Its a DC fired CDI.

I purchased the Kart used the other week from a UTV dealer in in Colorado. It had sat in a barn for while before the previous owners decided to trade it into the dealer...

Any who I bought it, took it home and started going thru it, cleaning it up etc..

While cleaning out the electrical box I noticed the black/red wire with nothing to connect to... I wonder is this would be the extra wire going to the CDI if it were an AC fired unit. .. Any one familiar this wire?

One last question- I plan on upgrading the DC CDI- is this wire applicable to a plug and play upgraded CDI or would it still be a unneeded wire?

Much obliged!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1358.jpg   IMG_1359 (1).jpg  

Old 08-31-2019, 06:25 PM

I had the 200 UTV with the same powertrain. Your right on the money about the blk/red wire. They have a AC style stator with the AC ignition power coil. Since they run a DC ignition, they don't need that AC ignition power. So the blk/red wire is unused.

I don't know what you mean by upgrading, but if you stay with DC then you still wont need that wire.

That electric box is quite the rats nest. They have the regulator/rectifier stuffed in the bottom. Those RR's build up a lot of heat and I believe that the reason my RR fried is because it had no ventilation.

I would advise you to change out that nasty fuse holder before it bits you. The wires are connected to the cartridge fuse holding ring clamps and movement will eventually break the glue loose on the fuse caps and you will be walking. I pulled the fuse wires outside of the electric box and put in a weather resistant blade fuse holder. It frees up some space and you wont have to open up the box to replace the fuse.

Also go to the American Land Master website (ASW is no more). You can get a decent owners manual and even better is a full service manual for free download. I know at least the 6150, 7150 and 200 series are similar.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:30 PM

Read up on the factory manual. Wiring diagrams are in there, pretty much everything. If you're going to upgrade anything make sure it's compatible.

https://americanlandmaster.com/pdfs/...al-14589R4.pdf
Old 08-31-2019, 06:32 PM

Default Awesome!

Hey there!

Thanks for the information and help! yes that's what I meant by 'upgrade'- I bought a electrical, carb and stage 1 upgrade kit from buggy depot.

I also JUST found the attached information about the black/red wire.

I will certainly be rerouting the fuse externally and using a weather resistant blade type fuse holder.

Service manual and owners manual downloaded!

Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
dd to.PNG