Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 PM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterSr View Post
(regarding pull start- I was thinking of using pulleys and rerouting the pull start to the cockpit by my knee. How about a kick start? Ever heard/seen of such a thing? I've also learned (by watching) to cover and protect the chain. Period.
Yes, and yes... Have seen and done the extended rope around a pulley before. Seen a kick start too...., By the time I did link to it, some one will beat me to it. Kicker pulls a length of chain around a sprocket.the pull rope wrapsatound a pulley attached to said sprocket....
Old 02-24-2018, 12:36 PM

I put a Lifan 125 road bike on the sons go kart and it flies. **** thing has water cooling and battery with leccy start and charging so was a bit of a mare to wire and construct but worth it.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:41 PM

I havenít done it personally but Iím seriously considering it. If you do it let me know how it goes!! Good luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 09:21 PM
SPP_MN

How is the torque and hp of a 125cc pitbike/atv motor compared to a 196/212 clone?
I'm not really looking to spend much more than $200 for the engine/gearbox which kind of limits me to 125cc or smaller, and I want semi-auto no clutch which pretty much limits me to 125cc or smaller. But I can always upgrade to a larger bore cyilinder with larger diameter higher compression piston later. I just don't want to be way down on power and torque compared to a mildly modded predator 212 hemi.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:03 AM
Just kartin' around....

Thanked 1,385 Times in 1,097 Posts

I'd get this one..... Personally. ..
As far as power goes, you're forgetting the BIGGEST advantage here, gearing... (And reverse with this engine )
Lets say you hop up the 212 to 12 HP..... The 8hp(guessing) 125 will still be superior due to having multiple gears to utilize....
Attached Thumbnails
Capture+_2018-02-25-11-56-49.jpg  
Old 02-25-2018, 12:01 PM
fasterSr

My dad built a Kart when he was a kid. He used a long fanbelt & 3 different pullies. One on the engine, one on the single drive axle and a "floater" in the middle attached to a handle. The belt was loose enough not to move but the harder you pulled on the handle, the faster you went. He said it was very fast but stopping was a huge problem.

Anyways, FMJ, that last line in your above post is something that took me months of research to come to. The 30 series TC is geared well enough, but can't really handle a built 420 and the 40 is less gear and still power strapped/limited. A larger one is in the works, but from what I could find out, it's going to give up even more torque (off line) than the 40. So for my purposes, not good enough. Does the tranny in the pic work on the same principal as my dads?

The reverse for a cockpit type vehicle seems mandatory. Know of any larger cc's that include reverse, in pit style or motor cycle engine, with 3 or more gears and a clutch?
Closed Thread