Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Mini Bikes, Trikes, and Choppers

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 11:17 PM

Thanked 3,435 Times in 2,801 Posts

Looking sweet Scott! Just one question though. You say that exhaust cost you about $100. Could you not have just gotten a length of pipe and bent it that shape, and then make a flange for it? It doesn't look like it has any exhaust baffle or anything like that. I'm not knocking it (it looks cool), I was just wondering what justifies the cost for it
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
KingCobra (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 11:59 AM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Looking sweet Scott! Just one question though. You say that exhaust cost you about $100. Could you not have just gotten a length of pipe and bent it that shape, and then make a flange for it? It doesn't look like it has any exhaust baffle or anything like that. I'm not knocking it (it looks cool), I was just wondering what justifies the cost for it
I have new flanges. Well, it was one of those jobs you may just want to let someone else bother with since they have the experience, tools, and time. Yeh, it was $98 plus 7% tax, so I was ok with it. The short simple pipes were $70! I also knew they were in Homestead/Miami where I used to live when I first moved here and my package would flow quickly from them. I thought about the price of a pipe bender and the pipe needed, ceramic coating, and the time spent w/ possibly destroying my first attempt and when it all came down to it. I needed it asap and didn't have half the tools to do this. And it was custom made. My chopper is rare and you can't find the right pipes made for them or you end up burning your leg...........OUCH, that reminds me........

I wanted an open header cause that's what choppers have mainly and tradition dictates it, and that length of pipe was very safe for my valves, etc. considering the vacuum of cold air an engine creates every time you shut one down. That is why they rebuild 1/4 mile drag race engines after every race. That is why I dislike short pipes. Anyway, I knew they could have the mistakes on their hands until they did one correctly. First try proved they knew what they were doing. I've not much experience at pipe bending ( yes I've attempted it at one time) and that top curve was a big one. I expected exhaust 'tubing' but this stuff is thick and heavy duty! I think it's water pipe. I will prefer 'black pipe' if I do get back into pipe bending for a future man size kart. And they quoted the price before building the pipe. I was impressed with the finished product.

Stand by for my next addition with a Captain America type sissy bar!! BUT, I also want to weld a nice sword onto the back of it like I've seen once before. A 3 foot sissy bar will fit the bill. I'm thinking to rebuild my seat also in a nicer material instead of plain black vinyl. Maybe a white material with red flames .. Maybe a skull with flames.....hmmmmmmmmmm. The scheme of this chopper will look like it belongs to an Evil Overlord when finished LOL!!! And, if it wasn't for the nice paint job, I would have don't the Captain America scheme. They went all out to pearl this paint job! I wish I new the history of the original owners. Can't wait to get my new chrome front fender in the mail (maybe today)to fit over my new front fat tire! I searched high an low for the right one and it comes as NOS made for a mini bike with a fat tire (fat for a chopper ) the size of mine. My tire is nearly 3" wide and the fender is 4" wide!! It's not big, it's perfect for a chopper! Most choppers have tiny front fenders. I don't think they serve much of a purpose other than for looks. P.S. I just contacted a steel worker for a custom 36 to 38" sissy bar that will mount on the curvature of my rear fender similar to the one in the photo w/ no back rest. And I must find that kick-stand as it will match my mirrors!! Thanks. Scott
Attached Thumbnails
51r-RxI2N2L._SL1201_.jpg   il_340x270.1257649171_9wh0.jpg  

fe7e6e38edc49865c2665e1700b41bc4--leather-tooling-motorcycle-seats.jpg   il_570xN.1121276828_32gn.jpg  

c77c53ca7b5a506d4b9e1638821ff601--skeletons-skulls.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I was wondering if the pipe was going to be too close to your leg. Now, only your thigh will be warm!

I didn't realize that the pipe had a ceramic coating, I guess that's why it's the color it is. Being a straight pipe, it should sound nice.

The sissy bar sounds great, although I'm not sure if the local constabulary will be thrilled with the sword part! You night spend a lot of time explaining that it's welded on. But it should go great with the mirrors.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:47 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogthegreat View Post
Yeah, I was wondering if the pipe was going to be too close to your leg. Now, only your thigh will be warm!

I didn't realize that the pipe had a ceramic coating, I guess that's why it's the color it is. Being a straight pipe, it should sound nice.

The sissy bar sounds great, although I'm not sure if the local constabulary will be thrilled with the sword part! You night spend a lot of time explaining that it's welded on. But it should go great with the mirrors.
No not at all. I thought the same and while sitting I put my feet on the ground, my calf is well in front and my thigh is about 6 inches above the exhaust. The exhaust don't stick out as far. I was indeed surprised. I even moved my leg around and wiggled a bit and I could not get my leg to get close enough to feel any heat.
I did burn the back of my my thigh when I was running a muffler straight up until I got this header. I had to mount the muffler upwards and outward because it would hit the gas tank when I tried to screw it on to the old go kart muffler adapter. I thought I had photos of that LOL.. I was surprised how quiet it ran. Can you see that muffler stuck out about 12" from the engine!
And now with the new header, it does sound like a 'mufflerless' Harley single cylinder LOL...
BTW, I think it is GoKartsUSA that copied this chopper more or less and called it 'Bad *** Lil' Chopper' and I may just have to spend the money for their seat which should bolt right up cause it looks identical in shape and size. I love the diamond stitching though! Look at their seat , then look at mine! I might even buy their kit just to have it but I think it's too expensive. The tires look cool but I love my '205' X 10" on the rear!

https://gokartsusa.com/Little-Badass...cycle-1-2.aspx

As far as the sword, there's no laws against decoration as long as you can prove it's not accessible by anyone. i will mount it permanent even though it will destroy the sword someone and i will touch up the mounts so they seem invisible. IF it has to be destroyed or broken to be removed or shown that it cannot just be removed, no prosecutor will want to touch that one with a ten foot pole as there is no usable weapon. I saw this play out years ago here in my city when it looked like Excalibur rode in on his Harley LOL.... people just admired the sword. I will also 'dullen' the edges of the blade so much that it will look good but be 'duller' than a butter knife. It's just for the theme and look. It's a mini bike anyway. Just a show piece when finished, with a big azz sword .
Attached Thumbnails
RigidChopperWithMeasurements 004.jpg   RigidChopperWithMeasurements 001.jpg  

ChopperSeat 002.jpg  
Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 PM

The shape of your seat isn't bad. Have you considered just getting it reupholstered?
Old 12-22-2017, 04:06 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Quote:
The shape of your seat isn't bad. Have you considered just getting it reupholstered?
Naw, it's cheap and plain. I thought about getting a strip of thick aluminum and making a king queen for it. But usually Choppers are for lone riders and I think I'll keep it a single rider set-up......

On another note, I got my NOS Indian fender today from Ebay and I drilled a hole in between the two side holes and had to cut down a stainless allen bolt and use a thick washer and mount it up! I'm happy and the $19.00 and free shipping was worth every penny! I looked at a lot of photos for how the front fender should be mounted on a chopper and I feel I'm close enough. It's nice and I think it sets it off perfectly. This is a lot of fun
Attached Thumbnails
ChopperNewFrontFender 002.jpg   ChopperNewFrontFender 003.jpg  

ChopperNewFrontFender 004.jpg   ChopperNewFrontFender 005.jpg  

Old 12-25-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
Thanks, maybe in the future when I figure out what all I will need to do that. I know they have the 1" drive shaft so I will seek out the torque converters for that set up. I wanted to go with the GX390 most of all but the Pred was so simple and cheap and I had it all on hand.

BTW, my ebay name is >>ScottsHondacr480R<< As in 1983!!
The duromax 440 cc is $60 cheaper and is rated 5 more hp then the predator 420, Incase you want a bigger motor check that one out.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:14 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Time for an update. Got a new air cleaner I never knew existed in 3 1/2"! the 8" sure looks awesome!!
Attached Thumbnails
MahChopper 002.jpg  
Old 12-27-2017, 03:08 PM

Thanked 1,755 Times in 1,449 Posts

That does look cool...
However...
It's a big one... That means its sure enough to get kicked by your leg or something else...
Old 12-27-2017, 04:07 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

I will have to be careful. Good thing it slants to the back.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:49 PM

Damm, it's looking good! How much more work do you think you have on it?
Old 12-28-2017, 01:47 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

It's never ending and I have a lot of fun trying to come up with some other cool gadget to add. Remember that electric three wheeler I stripped?? It had these cool aluminum mounts that come apart with two allen screws and has three mounting screws for?? Well, in the case of the trike, they were to hold the girly basket onto the front of the handle bars. I've never seen anything like them and wouldn't know where to look for them. I will be using them to mount new lights to the base of my forks!! I just have to look for the right style lights though........ I always find something new to add when I look hard enough!! How's yours coming??
Attached Thumbnails
51eIdz6e41L._SY355_.jpg   0000000000.jpg  

occ-black-widow-bike.jpg   QUICKK.jpg  

harley-captain-america-chopper.jpg   mini_chopper_bike.640x427.jpg  

FrontLightMounts 002.jpg   FrontLightMounts 004.jpg  

FrontLightMounts 005.jpg  
Old 12-29-2017, 07:01 AM

Hey CobraKing, how wide is your chopper between the two arrows?

I'm getting ready to order my jackshaft kit and I want to be sure of the size.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:52 AM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

That would be 8"
Old 12-29-2017, 12:31 PM

Thanks. My frame measures 13.5" at the same point.

But my tire rides inside the frame past that,

(your frame seems to widen here). Do you think that I should get a 12" jackshaft and just make a mount to fit wherever I need it to fit or should I go with a longer jackshaft? I don't see the jackshaft extending outside of the frame like yours does. I have no problem removing the steel support rod, (plus I followed your advice and I got an Eastwood 135a welder and I'm eager to try it out! ).

I could make something with a slot for the chain to pass through so that the shaft is properly supported and wont rip off from the torque on it.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:00 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Quote:
Thanks. My frame measures 13.5" at the same point.

But my tire rides inside the frame past that,

(your frame seems to widen here). Do you think that I should get a 12" jackshaft and just make a mount to fit wherever I need it to fit or should I go with a longer jackshaft? I don't see the jackshaft extending outside of the frame like yours does. I have no problem removing the steel support rod, (plus I followed your advice and I got an Eastwood 135a welder and I'm eager to try it out! ).

I could make something with a slot for the chain to pass through so that the shaft is properly supported and wont rip off from the torque on it.
It's not the width of the frame,but, where your wheel sprocket is. I would get the 3/16" plate steel that is 4" tall by 8 1/4" long and get that WASHER kit and have it welded together very well and then, have that welded to the area of that frame pipe going across that you see in my photos. It is not welded to my fender. I see your dilemma but that is ok, Have a notched pipe ( at both ends welded in between the lower frame area to complete a 'rectangle'. Then measure up between those to, to the small rod looking thing near your tape measure ( it looks solid ). That will be the height of the plate you need. You will have it welded across the top, bottom and you really won't need it down the left side. Then your drive sprocket will be able to see that wheel sprocket. Do you get the picture? My plate is only welded to the cross frame that it sits on. My frame gets much wider after that and my rear fender is 10" wide alone. IF you want a photo of anything, just ask. Ebay has them 'weld on' bearing washer kits.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:15 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

My frame is 9" at that point and get's much wider after. With your wheel mocked in place, measure from the right side of your frame to you left and see if you get 10" enough to reach to line up with your rear sprocket. A 12" jack shaft can't hurt either and you can either leave the extra on or cut it off. Bout the same price too. I took some more photos and I hope it helps. The top of that plate is bolted to my rear fender but I'm sure it's to hold the fender more than a brace for that plate because the fender isn't bolted anywhere else but the rear side with one bolt each. You can see how it was welded. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
ChopperSprocket 003.jpg   ChopperSprocket 004.jpg  

ChopperSprocket 005.jpg   ChopperSprocket 007.jpg  

ChopperSprocket 008.jpg   ChopperSprocket 001.jpg  

Old 12-31-2017, 09:53 PM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Was an absolutely beautiful day, so I rolled the beast out to the driveway for a few shots and.....well ok, to share it's beauty with the neighborhood rubber-neckers
Attached Thumbnails
ChopperNewHouseRCboats 016.jpg   ChopperNewHouseRCboats 005.jpg  

Old 01-02-2018, 10:05 AM
G'me sumthin to write on

Nice cat.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 AM
TROLL CRUSHER INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcome-ezgo View Post
Nice cat.
OK, you got me. That's the only reason I posted my photos was to show off my princess MIA