Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 04-07-2020, 03:28 PM

Default Jackshaft gear ratio to tire size

I rebuilt a manco American Challenger go kart two years ago. I was able to use the same gears that were on it except for the clutch. It has 10t clutch to 23t j/s in and 9t j/s out to 27t on the axel for a 6.9:1 ratio. The manual I found online shows a j/s in gear as 35t for a 10.5:1 ratio. Unfortunately, the manual only shows 6 inch tire rims. I have 14 inch tall tires on the the kart. My problem is that the tire spins so easily from a stop that I will need to replace the tire already after just two years. The 9t j/s out gear now needs replaced also. Can I replace just the j/s out gear with a 10t or 12t and keep the same tire size(and replace only 1 tire)and solve my issue or do I need to replace other gears also?
Old 04-07-2020, 05:21 PM

Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,561 Posts

Hello and welcome..
I not too sure what your asking...

What is the current gearing... how does it run with that????
Old 04-07-2020, 05:55 PM

So its 10 tooth clutch to a 23 tooth input to 9 tooth output to a 27 tooth on the axle. Basically wants to know if they should go with the gearing setup from the manual with a 35 tooth (in place of the current 23 tooth) and/or if they should swap out the 9 tooth with a 10 or 12 tooth with their current tire size.

I would keep the same gearing, but I would change that 9 tooth for a 10 and change that 23 for the 35. Should be fine with that.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:45 PM

Hello and thank you.
My current gearing is 10t clutch to 23t jackshaft in to 9t jackshaft out to 27t axel and 14 inch tall tires. I'm not sure if my tire size is correct since it doesn't say in the manual. I'm just going through my drive tire so quickly I need to fix it without going to far the other direction that I burn up the clutch. Do you know approximately what my gear ratio should be?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:51 PM

If you're shredding tires, I suggest you be lighter on the gas. 6.9:1 is an ideal ratio for 14" tires.

The fact that you keep referring to the drive tire (not tires), I assume it's one wheel drive. That's just life with a one wheel peel. 2 years is a pretty respectable life span for that tire. Heck, 2 years is a pretty good life span for ANY go kart tires if you ride it often.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:16 PM

on my 1wp the tire is completely balled it was new in feb
Old 04-08-2020, 08:51 PM

Thanks anickode for the ratio info. My son and I try being a little easier on the gas. It isn't easy with the one wheel drive. It is a gravel throwing machine. We do ride often, weather permitting. I think I'll replace the tire and gear with the same size as what I have now. Thanks again to everyone here for the help.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:52 PM

Thanked 3,659 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cw72 View Post
Thanks anickode for the ratio info. My son and I try being a little easier on the gas. It isn't easy with the one wheel drive. It is a gravel throwing machine. We do ride often, weather permitting. I think I'll replace the tire and gear with the same size as what I have now. Thanks again to everyone here for the help.
Why don't you just gear a little higher. Like 5.5-6:1 If you have heaps of torque now, gearing slightly higher should still be fine. Get a variety of sprockets and just test out a few ratios. You will soon see what works for you