Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 03-22-2020, 09:05 AM

My major hurdle to attempting this is that I can't weld aluminium. Do you think the modifications could be done with "alumiweld" or "alumaloy" which is basically brazing aluminum together. All I think we would need would be to section off as much of the case as possible and add the reed housing/mount. Anyone use it? I personally dont think it would be enough, but I've never used it.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Gettin' er done!

Not "as much of the case as possible", there's a specific size and shape it must be in relation to the cylinder volume not to mention the profiles (ramps) for proper flow. Epoxy would be your go to for that. Transfer ports (from the case to cylinder) also need to be shaped properly to encourage flow and velocity, every one I've seen is wider than it is deep for that reason. Another thing to consider is cylinder head volume, 2 strokes dont like high compression. I've seen guys raise compression thinking they're going to get more power, what they end up with is a little more torque but kill power up high where 2 strokes make their power and run best, too much compression causes the engine to have to fight that compression. Dont even get me started on the port heights.... 1mm too much and it's basically game over, port heights control the timing.

Two books you should read are "2 stroke performace tuning" by A. Graham Bell and "2 stroke tuners handbook" by Gordon Jennings. Get some small 2 stroke motors for cheap, tear into them, modify them and then decide if you still want to take this project on. I personally think you're biting off more than you can chew. Dont get me wrong I love 2 stroke motors, own serveral and wish I could have one in my car even.