Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Engines & Clutches

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 11:24 AM

Default 212 governor removed still feels like its governed

Hey I've built a pit style bike with a predator 212 I've upgrade the air intake and replaced the jet with .38 I believe (dont quote me on that I can check if you think that might be the problem) I made my own muffler which did boost the engine a bit and u have the governor removed. I was planning on having an 8:1 ratio but the company gave me a 12 tooth instead if a 10 tooth so it's a bit less than 8:1 with 26" tires and a torque converter the engine still feels governed when I drive it and I'm trying to figure out why my rpms get to a point and just plato so it doesnt seem like it's too weak to turn faster I'm not sure if maybe this has something to do with the Torque converter I plan on taking my bike out to the country (i live in a neighborhood that has it's own police station who have nothing to do so the moment I drive for more than up to the next street and back a couple times a cop come rolling by) to see if it can get the TC to engage over a larger distance because right now it's getting to the point where it just wants to start engaging and then I have to stop and turn around. But I'm riding on that point just before engagement for a while and that's where it seems to plato. I dint know if this is normal with TC because I'm very new to this. I tried to tell you everything I've got but if you have more questions feel free to ask.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Oh also I did move the spring into the hole that's supposed to make the TC open easier
Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 PM

Oh also I have the two hoses that went into the stock intake open right now I asked what to do with them but everyone seems to have different opinions so I'll ask on here if maybe you guys have any ideas maybe that's what's going on on comes from top of gas tank and the other from I believe the valve cover
Attached Thumbnails
20200216_140713.jpg  
Old 02-16-2020, 12:30 PM
Inmate #952016

Those are breather hoses. The one on the valve cover, stick a breather filter on it. Available at the parts store in your little town.
You should drive that thing down to the cop shop and show it off. Get to know them. They will probally get a kick out of it and maybe let you "carefully" use the roads to test tune.

Last edited by Whitetrashrocker; 02-16-2020 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Spell check is on the bottle again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whitetrashrocker For This Useful Post:
Shax90 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetrashrocker View Post
Those are breather hoses. The one on the valve cover, stick a breather filter on it. Available at the parts store in your little town.
You should drive that thing down to the cop shop and show it off. Get to know them. They will probally get a kick out of it and maybe let you "carefully" use the roads to test tune.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-16-2020, 01:05 PM

did you unscrew the screw limiting the throttle arm movement? the one with the spring.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 PM
Enjoying New Projects

What flywheel is on it ? And have you actually checked the rpms yet ?
Old 02-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karts of Kaos View Post
did you unscrew the screw limiting the throttle arm movement? the one with the spring.
No but I rebuilt the throttle linkage after removing the governor and it gets full throttle before it touches that screw

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-405 View Post
What flywheel is on it ? And have you actually checked the rpms yet ?
The original and no how would I go a out that?
Old 02-16-2020, 02:42 PM

Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,572 Posts

Get yourself a cheap ebay Inductive Tachometer..
They range in price.. but usually less than $20.
It wraps around the sparkplug wire, and uses a battery(get the replaceable version).

Also.... Did you upgrade the valve springs or left them as stock, after removing the gov?
Old 02-16-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
Get yourself a cheap ebay Inductive Tachometer..
They range in price.. but usually less than $20.
It wraps around the sparkplug wire, and uses a battery(get the replaceable version).

Also.... Did you upgrade the valve springs or left them as stock, after removing the gov?

Thanks and they are still stock
Old 02-18-2020, 08:05 PM
High Compression Member

I may have picked up an extra thousand rpm by upgrading the valve springs. Previous top speed, I'd say was 40. Valve springs only got me to 48. With governor deleted of course.
Shax90 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomonster212 View Post
I may have picked up an extra thousand rpm by upgrading the valve springs. Previous top speed, I'd say was 40. Valve springs only got me to 48. With governor deleted of course.
Do you have any that you recommend?
Old 02-19-2020, 06:45 AM

Putting stiff springs in a stock motor will only reduce power and increase cam wear. And when not under much load, can overspeed dangerously high. So on a nice flat road, you may see an extra few mph, but try that in the grass

If the motor does not have enough power/ right gear ratio to reach valve float, not much benefit
The Following User Says Thank You to karl For This Useful Post:
Shax90 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 08:10 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

^^

And unless you've upgraded to a billet connecting rod and flywheel, there's a very high chance of your engine becoming a grenade and punching a ventilation hole in the block!
Old 02-19-2020, 08:19 AM

26” tires are pretty large, with an 7:1 ratio at 3600 rpm you’d be doing around 40 mph. That’s some pretty tall gearing. My guess is that your engine doesn’t have enough power or air flow to run any higher RPMs. I’m not sure what your muffler system looks like, but that could limit rpm. My kart engine is exactly the same as yours except for just a header for the exhaust. I lost almost 1000 RPMs on the top end when I switched the stock exhaust back onto the engine from the straight pipe. The airflow makes a big difference.

I’m not sure what kind of top speed you are looking for or currently getting, but I would say gearing down wouldn’t hurt. You’ll have better acceleration and most likely higher top end rpm.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:29 AM
High Compression Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shax90 View Post
Do you have any that you recommend?
I used the 18lb valve springs from Go Power Sports. If I'm correct the stockers are 10.8lb.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post
Putting stiff springs in a stock motor will only reduce power and increase cam wear. And when not under much load, can overspeed dangerously high. So on a nice flat road, you may see an extra few mph, but try that in the grass

If the motor does not have enough power/ right gear ratio to reach valve float, not much benefit
I didn't notice any decrease in power at all. Any Predator 212 hemi with the governor deleted can reach valve float on flat ground or downhill especially.

It's true that a completely stock motor won't see much from them, but if you have any plans for upgrading I'd get them.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:30 AM
Inmate #952016

I get the "want to go faster".

40 in a small kart is pretty fast. I don't know where you ride but Ive got wide open flat dirt. I'd love to be able to break 40mph and I can gear for it, but I find it so much funner to gear lower and have a tire fryer that tops at 30-35mph.
When the rear wants to get in front and you can drift and donuts all day long it really puts a smile on my face.

Last edited by Whitetrashrocker; 02-19-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Wonder beer!
The Following User Says Thank You to Whitetrashrocker For This Useful Post:
Solomonster212 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 08:35 AM
High Compression Member

Quote:

40 in a small kart is pretty fast. I don't know where you ride but Ive got wide open flat dirt. I'd love to be able to break 40mph and I can gear for it, but I find it so much funner to gear lower and have a tire fryer that tops at 30-35mph.
When the rear wants to get in front and you can drift and donuts all day long it really puts a smile on my face.
It's all about trade-offs... You can either go fast or get there fast. Sure, you can do both if you empty your bank account, but not many do it.

My goal by the end of this project is to have a bullet proof 70mph machine. I'm at 52 right now, and upgrading weekly.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:36 AM
2019 Build Off Winner!

Quote:

Same here! Top speed is fun every once in a while, but wheelspin and gettin' sideways are way more fun, look awesome, and they're actually safer.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomonster212 View Post
I didn't notice any decrease in power at all. Any Predator 212 hemi with the governor deleted can reach valve float on flat ground or downhill especially.

It's true that a completely stock motor won't see much from them, but if you have any plans for upgrading I'd get them.
It may not be very much, but your increasing the friction on the valvetrain for no preformance benefit.

And your putting the rod and flywheel in the danger zone ,

so its not exactly the best advice to offer others on the internet, just saying. And it probally will not help the OP's problem

And usally you buy the springs that will match your camshaft/ suit your overall build the best.

I remember when I was 12/13, I put washers under the valve springs of a 3hp briggs, and ran an aluminum push mower flywheel /straight pipe chasing 40mph. I get it, been there

Much more to learn bud
Old 02-19-2020, 09:01 AM
High Compression Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl View Post

It probably will not help the OP's problem
It would if he was experiencing valve float.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

Shax90, either get a billet rod ad flywheel, or leave it alone. You clearly already have the stage 1 kit, and that on top of governor delete could blow the engine.

I'm still on stock rod and pushing over 6k rpm, but not everybody gets as luck as me. I'm upgrading soon anyway.