Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Announcements & Suggestions > Introduce Yourself!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:38 PM
Tomberlin Crossfire 150

Default Pulled this crossfire 150 home.....

I've been googling for a week or 2 for parts and gaining a bit of knowledge and bookmarks to get this thing running again.

The PO (family friend) bought it new, they kept it running for a long time. I talked with them about it, and since it's been sitting for a good while now, they offered it to me for a handshake that i'd attempt to get it running.

So here I am...got it on blocks. Searching told me that this forum would be the right one to join to get some help and insight. First step will be to get it to crank. Ordered a couple parts ignition cylinder, and a battery, then i'll go from there. Downloaded all the manuals i could find on it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181006_141711.jpg  
Old 10-24-2018, 12:22 AM

Thanked 3,659 Times in 2,992 Posts

Nice score!! You should be able to get that running. Those crossfires usually have gy6 engines IIRC. They are pretty common and spares are easy to get hold of if you need.

I would give the carb a good clean first thing, because if it has been sitting for a while its probably gummed up. Replace any old fuel and maybe try flush tank at the same time as there is probably some crap in the bottom of it.

The tyres look OK too. Pump them up and see if they hold air.

Here is a good place for parts

http://www.scrappydogscooters.com/
Old 10-27-2018, 01:01 AM

Good luck, I’m almost in the same boat just a little ahead of you with a trailmaster 150 that hasn’t ran in quite some time. Where did you order your parts from? I’m curious because the place I ordered from kinda sucks.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:29 AM
Tomberlin Crossfire 150

Hey guys. Yea this has the gy6. It's been pretty easy to find parts for it. I'm keeping this budget friendly, so I grabbed a battery, manifold intake, and spark plug, air filter off amazon. Seems most parts are relatively cheap. I'd like to replace the exhaust, its just ugly and rusted from being out in the weather for so long. I was able to get the engine to turn over last night which was nice to hear. Did this briefly as I had no gas in it.

I did tear down the carb, and cleaned it really well. Wasn't in bad shape to begin with. Also, fortunately, it looks like the gas tank was emptied or ran to empty. Wasn't even a hint of gas or gas smell in the tank. So I just took it off and washed it out, and let it dry. Do need a new gas cap, looks like someone was chewing on this on and has a hole in it.

The seats had to go. so i'll be replacing those maybe with the cheap black Jegs seats....recommendations? Also the headlight, with a couple small round LEDs to keep the round headlight look. There's a decent amount of surface rust in the floor pan, but i'll take a wire brush to it and see how bad it is. Maybe I can knock it off and coat it with a rattle can of bedliner, or just weld in a new piece of metal. The frame still looks in great shape. The tires are actually shot, might have held air for a bit, but definitely dry rot. I'll replace those as soon as I get it running. Wondering what size tires i can go to. Would like a bit larger than what was on there. But I do understand the ratio of tire size and what the engine can push. Current tire size is 22x10-10 and 19x7-8

This has been fun so far. I own a 2000 jeep wrangler, and now I've got 2 projects. At least I can drive the jeep regularly. But soon the crossfire will be on a small trailer behind the jeep headed for the woods.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paracad For This Useful Post:
Panhead5496 (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:54 AM

Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,561 Posts

If its been sitting for awhile.. Check thoroughly the wiring harness, Cdi ect... they're known to degrade somewhat rapidly.. But as you've seen, parts are aplenty and relitivly cheap..
Old 10-30-2018, 11:42 AM

As far as tires one of the previous owners had the tires on mine filled but the rubber on the outside is rotting off. I’m gonna try and find some golf cart wheels and tires that are close in size if the bolt pattern is the same. It might help from tearing up the backyard too.
The Following User Says Thank You to 4EyedTurd For This Useful Post:
Paracad (11-01-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 PM

That is a very cool looking cart (buggy?)!
The Following User Says Thank You to Panhead5496 For This Useful Post:
Paracad (11-01-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 11:45 PM

Just remember that going bigger on the wheels will mean changing the gear ratio. You will be gearing higher and your engine/clutch might not like it.

Just something to keep in mind
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Panhead5496 (10-31-2018), Paracad (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Tomberlin Crossfire 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by landuse View Post
Just remember that going bigger on the wheels will mean changing the gear ratio. You will be gearing higher and your engine/clutch might not like it.

Just something to keep in mind
Definitely, I understand how that work. I knew I'd need to ahead of time but I went to 315s anyway on my Jeep and boy that thing a dog right now having not upgraded the gears yet lol.

I'm sure I'll just stay at the current sizes for now. Think8ng to far past just getting the thing to run.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Tomberlin Crossfire 150

So i didn't do much to it so far. It would turn over as i mention. So i took the easy route after cleaning the carb didn't fix anything, I bought a new one, installed it and she cranked right up and idles nice, and throttles well. So I'm super happy it was that easy. lol

Now i do have a new caliper and master cylinder coming. I need pedals (aftermarket cheap suggestions), these ones are good and rusty and stick bad. I'll get them off and see how bad they really are and if they can be refurb'd. ordering new tires and seats any second now.

*****Now I do have a question. I have the wheels off and on jack stands, but as is runs idle speed the wheels continue to spin. clutch issue possibly? or is this normal, and wheels on the ground they wont spin.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracad View Post
So i didn't do much to it so far. It would turn over as i mention. So i took the easy route after cleaning the carb didn't fix anything, I bought a new one, installed it and she cranked right up and idles nice, and throttles well. So I'm super happy it was that easy. lol

Now i do have a new caliper and master cylinder coming. I need pedals (aftermarket cheap suggestions), these ones are good and rusty and stick bad. I'll get them off and see how bad they really are and if they can be refurb'd. ordering new tires and seats any second now.

*****Now I do have a question. I have the wheels off and on jack stands, but as is runs idle speed the wheels continue to spin. clutch issue possibly? or is this normal, and wheels on the ground they wont spin.
It's normal for wheels to spin when on stands. As long as the kart doesn't move when the wheels are on the ground you are good to go
The Following User Says Thank You to landuse For This Useful Post:
Paracad (11-06-2018)
Closed Thread